A meaningful offer forthcoming from the PA... A lull before the storm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
me2 said:
The revenues were $2.1B last year. Can you give me a reason to think it wouldn't have been around that number this year if there was no lockout?

If the NHLPA had made its an offer similar to the one being suggest back in August/September, a deal gets done, and yes you could be fairly certain revenue would be $2.1B or there abouts. Screwing around and wasting a season, just to make the same offer they could have had 6 months ago is stupid, and to top it off its led to degredation of revenues in their own industry.

"There's nothing more disastrous for the future of a labor organization and its members than enduring a long stoppage, then folding," Miller said. "You can take almost anything except that because you lose on both fronts."
what makes you think bettman would have gone for the proposal?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
mr gib said:

He may not have, but he was quite prepared to go to 53-55% and the $37.5m cap offer suggested in this thread works out to about the same he probably would have. This differences between this offer and what was on the table the are not that great when you cut it the core. He'd have been a fool if he didn't take it and 90% of the people would be backing the NHLPA.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
mr gib said:

He may not have, but he was quite prepared to go to 53-55% and the $37.5m cap offer suggested in this thread works out to about the same. So he probably would have taken it, with a few negotiated mods. This differences between this offer and what was on the table the are not that great when you cut it the core. He'd have been a fool if he didn't take it and 90% of the people would be backing the NHLPA .

Dec 05 NHL offer http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/CBA/12-14-04cba2.htm

Feb 05 NHL offer http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/CBA/2-2-05cba.htm

Brian Burke's plan from Sept 04 (yeah, yeah, its only a media article not offical) would have looked pretty good. http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/CBA/9-16-04cba.htm

I really like bits of Russ Conway's plan. While I don't like the salary slotting idea, and its tax rates start about $5m too high, the revenue sharing system is whacked, but there are bits of it I do like. If the players presented something like this in September, it might not have been a great leap for both sides to meet somewhere in the middle.

http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/1-9-04cba.htm

If Bettman's plan was to cancel the season all along the Goodenow walked into the that trap. Personally I think the owners/Bettman wanted a season much more than Goodenow. The players probably wanted a season too, but Goodenow is too strong willed to cave in even if it means taking a beating.

Last edited:

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005
dolfanar said:
Wondering how people (both pro and anti-PA) feel are the chances that the NHLPA will be presenting a meaningful/complete offer (on the level of detail of the December proposals) that actually has a hope of being accepted by the Owners within the next few days/weeks.

The PA has been relatively silent, even in the wake of NHL posturing and NLRB filings... could they be about to propose something meaningful soon?

Thoughts/Opinions?

Well knowing how the owners... or I should say Bettman... are, they will react in the same ways has they have done over the past 4 months.... not going to even consider it.

chara

Mar 31, 2004
Who knows? The players may be have reached the 'capitulation' stage, i.e. moved forward from the denial and blaming stage.

Perhaps they realized that they can't rely on Goodenow's 10 years of 'bluff' and non-negotiation strategy anymore....or maybe not....it's a difficult thing, getting one's head out of one's butt when it's been lodged there for so long without first seeking a physician...

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Lil' Jimmy Norton said:
Well well well... sounds like you have a good grip on Mike's Synergy make sure you jostle the stones while your down there....er in Dallas I mean. If I was Mike I would be afraid of you and would resort to a restraining order.

There is no need for that. I may defend the guy when he gets ripped unjustified, but I really don't like him. His business dealing have always been very public in Dallas. They are because he lets them be. He does a lot of good in this town and does lots of charity work. He runs Jonathans House and the the Mike Modano Foundation supports it. But he is not one of my favorite players, never has been and never will be. I have said two words to him the entire time I have lived in Dallas. Mike has nothing to fear from me. Now there are a few others who if I was Mike would be very afraid of.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
PepNCheese said:
A PROFIT of 20 million...on a house??

Where did he live, Buckingham Palace?

Close to it. His GUEST house was almost 3,000 sq. ft. He owned and lived in the guest house then bought two properties next door, leveled them and build a new house, which included a towel room, tennis courts, pool, gym etc. His old house became the guest house. Until this past year, he was on the list of the most expensive houses in Dallas and that is where I read how much he made on the house. You can buy a lot of house for your money in Dallas. And if you wonder who #1 on that list is....none other than Tom Hicks.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Steve L said:
that hed sit out the rest of his life rather than play under a cap and he just wanted to be able to earn a decent living, this coming from someone on $4.5m IIRC.
so be it Bryan, a marginal D man at best being overpaid to boot...I think after the way he played in the playoffs, the Flyers owe him 2.5M in salary too... :D

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Drury_Sakic said:
I don't really like the whole "franchise player" thing... It sets a player apart, breaking up the whole team concept... might as well just make the cap higher...

It works in football, allowing a team to keep a star player from leaving as a UFA. But to do this, the UFA age should be lowered to 26. Also, maybe lower the cap to 35 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad