A meaningful offer forthcoming from the PA... A lull before the storm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering how people (both pro and anti-PA) feel are the chances that the NHLPA will be presenting a meaningful/complete offer (on the level of detail of the December proposals) that actually has a hope of being accepted by the Owners within the next few days/weeks.

The PA has been relatively silent, even in the wake of NHL posturing and NLRB filings... could they be about to propose something meaningful soon?

Thoughts/Opinions?

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
From what I gather, the PA's proposal will not be one that is accepted right off the bat, it is going to be something fresh, new, and likely full of loopholes that all lean the PA's way...

Thats not to say it won't be a good step towards a possible solution..but I would be shocked if it is signed by the NHL...

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Drury_Sakic said:
From what I gather, the PA's proposal will not be one that is accepted right off the bat, it is going to be something fresh, new, and likely full of loopholes that all lean the PA's way...

Unlike the NHL's proposals that haven't been more restrictive than they've claimed? Please.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I think the NHLPA will be presenting a full, detailed offer quite soon, but I'm having a hard time buying that it has any chance in hell of being accepted by the owners.

Who knows, maybe they'll surprise us with something.

mooseOAK*

If it is a meaningful proposal that addresses the issues of the league in general it would be both surprising and frustrating that it wasn't done two months ago when when could have had a season.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
dolfanar said:
The PA has been relatively silent, even in the wake of NHL posturing and NLRB filings...

The reason why theyre quiet? Its because the PA is starting to see that the NHL has them stuck right where they want them and theyve got nowhere to go. Case in point, the whole "if a PA player crosses the line, they pay back the monies given". Its so blantantly illegal that they're gonna lose that in the NLRB faster than you can say "Aunt Jamaima". My bet? They didnt see the filings coming, they recognize that if they lose any of them in front of the NLRB then any chance of stopping impasse goes out the window and theyre reeling b/c theyve been out-maneovered.

The PA being out-maneouvered -- its starting to look like a sport with those guys. What else is new.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
no13matssundin said:
The reason why theyre quiet? Its because the PA is starting to see that the NHL has them stuck right where they want them and theyve got nowhere to go. Case in point, the whole "if a PA player crosses the line, they pay back the monies given". Its so blantantly illegal that they're gonna lose that in the NLRB faster than you can say "Aunt Jamaima". My bet? They didnt see the filings coming, they recognize that if they lose any of them in front of the NLRB then any chance of stopping impasse goes out the window and theyre reeling b/c theyve been out-maneovered.

The PA being out-maneouvered -- its starting to look like a sport with those guys. What else is new.
i don't think so - they're just waiting for the court decision -

no13matssundin said:

I'm surprised that we haven't seen more quotes from the usual suspects on this (Modano, Roenick, McCabe, Chelios, etc...)

It feels like that part int he movie where everything turns deathly silent and one character turns to the other and says "It's quiet..." and someone responds "Yeah, TOO quiet..."

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
dolfanar said:
I'm surprised that we haven't seen more quotes from the usual suspects on this (Modano, Roenick, McCabe, Chelios, etc...)

It feels like that part int he movie where everything turns deathly silent and one character turns to the other and says "It's quiet..." and someone responds "Yeah, TOO quiet..."

Ya where are those rocket scientists ??? They are soooo done it's not even funny !

Phanuthier*

Right now, the pressure is on the NHL to get the stuff together and advertise for next season, so the NHL definatly has more incentive to get things done then the PA.

Thus, Bob Goodenow is doing what he's good at (and possibly the only thing he's going at) and waiting... patiently...

StanTheMan

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
This has been such a long and tiring roller coaster ride that nothing now would surprise me... well, except for the two sides announcing an agreement tomorrow. It wouldn't surprise me if the PA came up with another eye opening proposal a la Dec 24th and it wouldn't surprise me if the PA simply said phooey we're creating our own league. I'm tired of it all. The only thing that I'm really looking forward to now is the fall when the league has promised there will be hockey. I'll tune even if it's the ushers against the parking attendants just out of curiosity.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
dolfanar said:

Putting Modano and McCabe in the same group, isn't even funny. But here's a quote from Modano from last weeks charity game in Dallas. When he was interviewed during one of the intermissions by the play by play announcer for the Stars games at the end Modano said to him "see you in September". Make whatever you want out of that, but I took that to mean "I'm crossing the line and I'll be playing hockey in September", and it will only take one or two of Modano statue and the floodgates will open.

And I wouldn't at all be surprised if the PA comes out with another jaw dropping proposal to the NHL. I find it very strange that nothing has been released on what went on during their meeting. I think they have something up their sleeve, and good for them. Remember it was Saskin who said that both sides can't continue to just submit the same proposal over and over. Perhaps he's good to his word and is going to come out with something creative that will satisfy both sides.

My guess the meeting is on Monday because they are still working on it.

Last edited:

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Rip him all you want, but he's one player that is pissed off that they aren't playing hockey. He is one player that wants to be playing and will do anything to get back to playing, including take a HUGE pay cut. You know that "love for the game" that you guys all talk about.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
Icey said:
Rip him all you want, but he's one player that is pissed off that they aren't playing hockey. He is one player that wants to be playing and will do anything to get back to playing, including take a HUGE pay cut. You know that "love for the game" that you guys all talk about.

But what about the dogfood? How will he pay for it all? That poor hungry pup, he only eats Caviar! :cry:

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
no13matssundin said:
But what about the dogfood? How will he pay for it all? That poor hungry pup, he only eats Caviar! :cry:

Mike pisses away more money in a day than you make in a year. Money ain't a problem in his life.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
My guess is that you two are not familiar with the recent financial troubles Modano has been going through. Bad investments cost him alot of money from the rumors, and it was well known throughout media circles.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
kerrly said:
My guess is that you two are not familiar with the recent financial troubles Modano has been going through. Bad investments cost him alot of money from the rumors, and it was well known throughout media circles.

Considering I live in Dallas, I am quite familar with them. Perhaps a bit more than you read in your local paper.

Don't know what you consider a lot of money, but according to Mike it wasn't enought to affect his lifestyle. And the issue with Mike was more that he trusted someone to invest his money who didn't. He basically stole his money. This is the same dude who put his stanley cup ring up on e-bay. Loss of trust is a lot harder to get over than the loss of $$$.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
I honestly see a very creative and thoughtful proposal coming from the PA. I would like to be optimistic and think that after three days of internal meetings, the union will decide to create a very different offer to impress the NHL and more importantly the media and NLRB. I predict that the PA will come out offering either a cap very close to 37.5 with extensive revenue sharing or a cap around 45 with limited revenue sharing. I think these aspects along with some other new creative ideas can spark a deal in the near future because the sides will become that much closer. This proposal is very big.

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Icey said:
Mike pisses away more money in a day than you make in a year. Money ain't a problem in his life.

Oh ya he's such an intelligent guy... your boy Mike, if he was any dumber he'd be a stool sample. Problem is we all made more money in one day than Mike made all year which is yes...yes ZERO !!! You are a genius :biglaugh:

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Lil' Jimmy Norton said:
Oh ya he's such an intelligent guy... your boy Mike, if he was any dumber he'd be a stool sample. Problem is we all made more money in one day than Mike made all year which is yes...yes ZERO !!! You are a genius :biglaugh:

Actually the answer to that would be no. Mike has a few little businesses he runs on the side....part owner of the Texas Tornado for one. He sold his house and made a profit in the neighborhood of $20M according to D Magazine, so I think Mike still made more money this year than you have probably made in your entire life.

He's so dumb he's laughing all the way to the bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->