Speculation: A look to the future

FreshFitted67

Jun 28, 2010
Tibet
www.kitchen.com
I love the avs, but I don't think we're going to be competitive this year, especially with the absence of O'Reilly and Downie. But, I'd like to think about what the avs might look like in a season or two. Tell me what you think about a lineup that looks something like this:

Line 1a: Parenteau \ Sgarbossa \ Duchene
Line 1b: Landeskog \ O'Reilly \ Downie
Line 1c: McGinn \ Stastny \ Jones \ Aggozzino ?
Line 4: Van der Gulik \ Mitchell \ Mcleod

Draft: Barkov???

Defence:
Barrie \ Johnson
Wilson \ Hejda
O' Brien \ Gaunce
Zanon

Siemens \ Elliott

We have an overload of possible centers if we can resign O'reilly, we have Duchene, Stastny, O'Reilly, Sgarbossa, Mitchell, Aggozzino and possibly Hishon. What do we do with all these guys, package a couple for a top 4 dman? Personally, I think Hejda O'Brien, O'Byrne and Zanon are not great D men, and you need more mobile guys if you want to compete.

I also think Duchene might be better suited on wing since he doesn't seem to know how to use his teammates and might benefit from having a playmaking center like Sgarbossa. maybe. I'd love to draft Barkov who looks like a superstar winger in the making. Seth Jones would also be bomb. I think a top 5 draft pick is completely within the realm of possibility.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
First of all, Aggozzino is not the Avs property, he is signed to the Monsters, not the Avs.

Second of all, why are you giving up on the season so early? We just won 2 in a row and looked pretty good doing it.

Third, how does Sgarbossa jump past every single one of our centers on the depth chart? What have you seen from him that suggests he could be a dominant 1C, moreso than Duchene?

And lastly, but most importantly, what the hell are you talking about with the Matt Duchene to wing line? I mean, have you even watched a single one of our games this year? I'm inclined to believe you've not watched him play at all this year, because he's been our best player not named Varlamov.

FreshFitted67

Jun 28, 2010
Tibet
www.kitchen.com
Duchene's been good at center this year, but if you've watched him in past years, he's had problems using his wingers and he isn't great as a backchecker. As a winger he would have less defensive responsibilities. 2 wins doesn't change my opinion of the team lol, or Duchene. Sgarbossa has had huge praise in the minors and has been nearly a ppg in the AHL, usually that means you have a pretty good player. I don't think he's a better player than Stastny or O'reilly, but I believe we would be a better fit between Parenteau and Duchene. These are just ideas. I'm just spitballing.

FreshFitted67

Jun 28, 2010
Tibet
www.kitchen.com
Aggozzino is a rookie with the Monsters. he made it on the AHL western conference all stars and he is plus 15 on the monsters so far this year, been one of the teams best players and a very well respected former captain in the minors.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Duchene is much, much better as a center. He is ineffective at wing comparatively. Duchene is just one of those players that is much better with the puck on his stick, and when he dictates the play. Being at center allows him to do that. Really the only year where he hasn't looked good at center was last year. I'm willing to just say he had a bad year and try to forget about it.

I am one of the biggest Sgarbossa fans there is, but he will never be a #1C. I see his upside as a good #2C if everything goes perfectly, but a guy who probably settles in around a solid #2 LW.

Lastly, I wouldn't include ROR in any future plans with this team. It doesn't look/sound good at all with his situation. He is biting the hand that feeds, and normally that doesn't end well.

FreshFitted67

Jun 28, 2010
Tibet
www.kitchen.com
how about this idea?

Parenteau / Duchene / Perry
Landeskog / O'Reilly / Downie
Barkov / Stastny / Jones
McLeod / Mitchell / Van der Gulik

Barrie / Johnson
Wilson / Hejda
O'Brien / Gaunce

Trade McGinn, Siemens, Sgarbossa and a 2nd for Perry, Resign him after the season.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Unless the Avs really suck the next couple of seasons, I'd expect them to be active in the FA market. And if they do suck, I'd expect them to have 1 or 2 rookies cracking the line-up.

These predictions just assume a level of static stagnation that isn't realistic.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
After using my Magic 8-Ball this is what I see.

Landeskog: Returns to the Avs by mid Feb. Unfortunately he gets trucked again, because he has his head down, and is put back on IR for the remainder of the season.

ROR: Traded to FLA for Nick Bjugstad and FLA 1st.

With all the blue-collar talent now injured or traded the Avs easily win the tank for Jones sweepstakes.

Before the draft our accountant/GM realizes that the achilles heal of our team is the D and makes a deal with Tor swapping Stastny for Phaneuf.

Fast Forward to the start of the 2013 season and our starting line up looks like this.

McGinn Duchene Parenteau
Landeskog Bjugstad Downie
Olver Mitchell Jones
McLeod Malone Bordeleau

Phaneuf Johnson
Wilson Barrie/Elliot
Hejda Zanon/OBrien

Fast Forward to the start of the 2014 season and our starting line up looks like this.

McGinn Duchene Parenteau
Hishon Sgarbossa Jones
McLeod Malone Bordeleau

Siemens Johnson
Phaneuf Jones
Hedja Wilson/Barrie/Elliot

Steve Varmalov

And Then....
Dec 11, 2007
Boulder
After using my Magic 8-Ball this is what I see.

Landeskog: Returns to the Avs by mid Feb. Unfortunately he gets trucked again, because he has his head down, and is put back on IR for the remainder of the season.

ROR: Traded to FLA for Nick Bjugstad and FLA 1st.

With all the blue-collar talent now injured or traded the Avs easily win the tank for Jones sweepstakes.

Before the draft our accountant/GM realizes that the achilles heal of our team is the D and makes a deal with Tor swapping Stastny for Phaneuf.

Fast Forward to the start of the 2013 season and our starting line up looks like this.

McGinn Duchene Parenteau
Olver Mitchell Jones
McLeod Malone Bordeleau

Phaneuf Johnson
Wilson Barrie/Elliot
Hejda Zanon/OBrien

Fast Forward to the start of the 2014 season and our starting line up looks like this.

McGinn Duchene Parenteau
Hishon Sgarbossa Jones
McLeod Malone Bordeleau

Siemens Johnson
Phaneuf Jones
Hedja Wilson/Barrie/Elliot

Where is the other top10 player from the 2013 draft? Fla will be picking top10 as well if not top5

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The Avs will be competitive in 10 years (hopefully)

This team needs few super star consistent goal scorers, and a whole new d core including a # 1 or #2 guy to play with EJ.

And finally they're going to need a much better coach.

Getting all of the above is not going to be easy, and will take a while

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Ill play along. This is what I see for us in 2 years time.

Some moves we will/should make:

- Elliott, Jones, and one of Stastny/RoR are moved. Stastny/Ror + Elliott are moved together to get a Top pairing Dman. Depending on who that top pairing Dman is, there might even be a 2nd or a 2014 1st added to that deal.

- Jones is moved at this years deadline for a 1st if we can get it. If not he's moved next year for 1st or 2nd in the 2014 draft.

- We continue to suck for this year(Its a lost cause, I believe) and end up with a 4-7 overall pick. IF we can trade Jones for a late 1st this year. We move that 4-7 pick + the late 1st + Elliott to move into the Top 2 and draft Seth Jones(This would also mean we wouldn't have to move RoR/Stas for a top pairing guy). If we cant do that we draft Lindholm/Barkov/Nichushkin.

- During Free Agency we try to find someone similar to PAP last year that can replace Jones on the 2nd line. Only a goal scorer more so then a passer. Maybe D'Agostini or an amnesty buyout guy.

- A bit more of a minor move, but over the next year or so as Pickard and Aittokallio develop, one of them is eventually moved for a Forward or Defense prospect. If they both are on very good developing tracks and Varly continues to look good, I think we move the better of the 2 for a higher return, with the weaker one eventually backing up Varly.

EDIT: Forgot the biggest move of all. Joe Sacco is done, he's either not renewed after the 2 years expire on his current deal, or he's replaced before then. But someone new is brought in.

So Assuming we finish in the say 5th overall spot, and manage to move up to the #1 or 2 spot and draft Jones, this is what I see us sporting in 2 years:

Landy - Duchene - PAP
McGinn - Oreilly - Downie
Sgarbossa - Stastny - D'Agostini
McCleod - Heard - Bordeleau

Jones - EJ
Barrie - Wilson
Hejda - Siemens

Varly
Pickard/Aittokallio(Or Giggy if he hasn't retired).

Assuming its the start to the 2014/15 season, I think this roster is a pretty good young team to fight for playoffs and potentially make some noise. The back end should be much improved. EJ and Jones would make up a dominant top pairing I believe, similar to the Suter/Weber pairing. Barrie would have the rest of this year and all of next year to adjust to the NHL game and develop into what we need him to be. Siemens would start in the AHL next year but probably end up playing 25-30 games in the NHL as an injury callup. So he would be NHL ready by the 14/15 season. If our Wingers are looking a little weak and Sgarbossa is looking good or Hishon is healthy again, we could then move one of our Centers for a pure goal scoring winger.

Not a whole lot of crazy moves to that team IMO, more just staying on the same path were on and not doing anything drastic.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
Where is the other top10 player from the 2013 draft? Fla will be picking top10 as well if not top5
Who knows were Fla will be at seasons end. I'll guess its as an 11th overall since thats their average spot for their picks over the last 6 years. For argument sake the player won't be a goalie and will still be developing.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
McLeod-Mitchell-Kobasew
Olver-Porter-Bordeleau
Duchene-Stastny-Lindstrom
Sgarbossa-Landeskog-Barrie

SOB-ROB
Hunwick-Hejda
Holos-Quincey

Mason
Kolesnik

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If Siemens continue to develop, I wouldn't be shocked to see him get a shot with the team next year. It's not like we couldn't fit a big defensive defenseman with great skating in a sheltered role.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
If Siemens continue to develop, I wouldn't be shocked to see him get a shot with the team next year. It's not like we couldn't fit a big defensive defenseman with great skating in a sheltered role.

Speaking of Siemens, how has he been this year? I seem to remember at one point early on in the year after something like 15-20 games he was a fairly minus player and seemed to have regressed in development, now he's putting up some points again and is a seemingly monstrous +22? Had his development started to take strides forward again?

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Speaking of Siemens, how has he been this year? I seem to remember at one point early on in the year after something like 15-20 games he was a fairly minus player and seemed to have regressed in development, now he's putting up some points again and is a seemingly monstrous +22? Had his development started to take strides forward again?
Yes.
Check the prospect thread for more info from RS.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
McGinn-Dutchy-PAP
Skog-Staz-Jones/Downie
Sgar-Mitchell-Downie/Jones
Bordy-Malone-Olver

ROR trade - EJ
Seth Jones - Wilson
Hejda - Barrie
Siemens - Elliott