A look back at the Jordan Staal trade: Who won?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Canes: acquire a "6m/year 2nd line center"

Pens: Acquire Dum, 1st round pick, and Sutter, and also free up salary.

Why Sutter is not a Jordan Staal he is an OK 3rd line center. As for the 2 prospects, I am not sure. Who won this trade as it stands today?

The whole point of the trade was that Jordan Staal wanted to play in Carolina with his brother and had high contract demands that made it difficult to keep him with the Pens cap structure, he made it impossible to keep him.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
I think the Penguins won that trade because Jordan Staal, while hampered by injuries, has been unable to live up to the hype of a 2nd line center. He still produces like a 3rd line center even though he plays with better players and has more minutes
Staal is at .56PPG with the Hurricanes, or 46 points per 82 games. How many 40+ point third line centers are there in the league?

And his minutes have actually gone down since coming to Carolina. Not to mention that prior to this season he hadn't really been playing with better players. He spent about half of last season playing with Patrick Dwyer and Nathan Gerbe. The Hurricanes have little in the way of two-way forwards so they instead stuck him with defensive forwards. It's either that or throwing Jeff Skinner on his line to go against the other team's top line, which is a really bad idea.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I think the Pens easily won the trade. If Sutter gets moved for another good asset, and or Dumo/DP get turned into high end assets or become good players for this team, it could put a new slant on how this trade looks.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Staal is at .56PPG with the Hurricanes, or 46 points per 82 games. How many 40+ point third line centers are there in the league?

And his minutes have actually gone down since coming to Carolina. Not to mention that prior to this season he hadn't really been playing with better players. He spent about half of last season playing with Patrick Dwyer and Nathan Gerbe. The Hurricanes have little in the way of two-way forwards so they instead stuck him with defensive forwards. It's either that or throwing Jeff Skinner on his line to go against the other team's top line, which is a really bad idea.

The notion that a 3rd line C put up 40+ is from our embarassment of riches when the 3C model was in place and glorious, most 3rd line C's in the game are around 35-40pt range at best.

Jordan would have been an amazing 2nd line C with Geno tried at wing, we all know the opposite was an idea tinkered with but never really the other way around often enough as the Sutter-Geno experiment was...*Shudder*...

In the end, we got Pouliot, Sutter, and Dumoulin.

The trade is hard to tell from the Pens POV. For the Canes, they still have a very damn good 2nd line C, we have a mediocre 3rd line C, a solid top 4 prospect in Dumoulin and a damn good player in Pouliot that is playing in the NHL right now and doesn't look all that far from being a regular.

It really depends on what JR gets for Sutter and Dumoulin in the next few weeks to a year.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
I think the Penguins won that trade because Jordan Staal, while hampered by injuries, has been unable to live up to the hype of a 2nd line center. He still produces like a 3rd line center even though he plays with better players and has more minutes.

Sutter has similar goal and PK production as Staal, though I agree he's not as good, he shouldn't be because he's making a little over half of what Staal is making. Pouliot is a great defenseman who should be a staple on this team for years to come. The guy looks like he will be an elite PMD.

Dumoulin, don't know what to say about him. He adds depth to the prospect pool. He's a solid prospect and might be valuable in a trade for another player.

At the end of the day, Jim Rutherford won that deal. He get's those players back plus a chance to build around Sid, Geno, Letang and Fleury.

This + Staal is overpaid & wanted out...

Jordan could have been something but ever since that reckless blade cheap shot from Subban it was clear that this was one injury too many.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This + Staal is overpaid & wanted out...

Jordan could have been something but ever since that reckless blade cheap shot from Subban it was clear that this was one injury too many.

What are you talking about?

It was the year he returned from that injury and the following year that he produced without a shred of doubt, as a top 6 player.

That year he did 30pts in 42 games and then 50 in 62 games. Those are two back 2 back years he produced at a clip we only hoped he would get to sooner.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
That slowed Staal development, litterally. Sorry for being unclear but what i meant is that while he looked so promising, he was actually in the prime time of his career, before other injuries made him a fake top 6, paid like a real top 6. Just imagine what he could have become without Subban (intentional?) recklessness.

I really liked him but now he can suck in peace, harmlessly, with his bro.

Hell i hate Mark Staal (cheap backstabbing shot on Crosby) but i think he may now be the best value with these bros...

Nei1ey*

Pens won the deal. Because DP looks like he's gonna be a stud and Sutter, Dumo are valued assets. If we can package the latter two in a trade for someone decent, this trade will even look better for us.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That slowed Staal development, litterally. Sorry for being unclear but what i meant is that while he looked so promising, he was actually in the prime time of his career, before other injuries made him a fake top 6, paid like a real top 6. Just imagine what he could have become without Subban (intentional?) recklessness.

I really liked him but now he can suck in peace, harmlessly, with his bro.

Hell i hate Mark Staal (cheap backstabbing shot on Crosby) but i think he may now be the best value with these bros...

Prime of his career? He was like 22-23yrs old.

He's just 26, still very much in the prime of his career and producing like everyone knows he can, he was derailed by a freak injury in Carolina.

But the 2 injury shortened years, 42 and 62 games...he put up his career best ppg pace in both years.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Prime of his career? He was like 22-23yrs old.

He's just 26, still very much in the prime of his career and producing like everyone knows he can, he was derailed by a freak injury in Carolina.

But the 2 injury shortened years, 42 and 62 games...he put up his career best ppg pace in both years.

Prime in hindsight... Sorry again.

I think he'll never be a legit top 6 again imho and remember, he didnt have to face the top opponents with the Pens 'cause he played mostly on the 3rd line...

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
As of right now it's a clear loss as Staal is much better than Sutter and DP/Dumo haven't played enough to make up for that loss. Is DP pans out it could be consideres a "win" if you don't count the lost years of having to play with Sutter while DP developed.

Had Shero not bungled the pick and take FF or Truba it would be a different story.

On the flip side, the Canes would have been better off with Sutter, Trouba/FF and Dumo than Staal who's been injured too often.

Last edited:

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Agree.

We are a worse hockey team than with Staal. Period.
Don't factor in Staal wouldn't want to be here...the bottom line is we ar worse without Staal.

Yeah yeah sure Jordan had fun against bad D here playing on the 3rd line but the guy had too many injuries and he's overpaid big time.

I prefer what we got hands down, good legit 2way 3rd liner and good prospects.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Depends how Pouliot develops (we'll leave Forsberg out of this), how Dumoulin develops (or what we get for him in trade), and what type of role Sutter continues to fill (or what we get for him in a trade).

How things stand right now, I'd use all 3 as trade chips, but wouldn't trade any of them unless the deal brought back something of a great need - i.e. a physical shutdown defenseman, or a young top 6 winger.

Guins71

Mar 22, 2004
If we'd have drafted Forsberg like EVERYONE wanted at the time, this thread would not exist.

That pick was the epitome of the Ray Shero era. At the time, we had defensemen galore in the pipeline and had absolutely no winger depth. Forsberg was labeled by many to go above that spot. It boggled my mind the Pens went with Pouliot. It boggles my mind that Forsberg dropped even further after that.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Pens did well considering the circumstances. However, Sutter is a massive downgrade from Staal. Pens miss him on the third line in a big way, and as an overall team haven't been the same since his departure. I never really appreciated what a luxury it was to have a possession beast as a third line center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad