A Look Back at NHL2K10 and the 2K Series

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
This video popped on on my Youtube homepage and brought back some great memories of this game. From the animation, to the customization, and the overall variety this game offers - but most of all, just the subtle nuances and detail put into the gameplay that is so satisfying as a gamer and someone who watches a lot of hockey. EA brought some great things to hockey gaming, especially the things they added earlier this decade (most notably the skill stick) but to me, there seems to be a lot more depth and attention to detail found in NHL2K10 vs. some of the more recent releases in the EA series. And without any competition to push the series forward, it seems like the EA series has gone a bit stagnate - focusing more time on the online aspect and what color scarf your MYplayer should wear....I like the direction they took adding some more goalie and shot animations but even those seem to be pretty underwhelming after a while.

Anyways sorry for the rant. I still enjoy playing NHL20 but this video made me miss certain things that the 2K series offered. I wish 2K would revive their NHL series like they're doing with the NFL but that probably won't happen. I just can't imagine what we could be playing right now if 2K stuck with it - especially with the PS5 and the other next gen consoles dropping soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Watching this makes me want to buy it and play it.

NHL 2k8 was the best dynasty/franchise mode I ever played.

NHL 2004 was legendary, amazing how far EA has fallen.

I had 2k10 and the franchise mode was way ahead of EA. Also, the ability to download custom rosters was incredible at the time. You could play the most up-to-date rosters, with kinda accurately rated prospects every couple months.

+ player development was better if I recall correctly. You could actually draft future NHL players in that game

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
I had 2k10 and the franchise mode was way ahead of EA. Also, the ability to download custom rosters was incredible at the time. You could play the most up-to-date rosters, with kinda accurately rated prospects every couple months.

+ player development was better if I recall correctly. You could actually draft future NHL players in that game

I see in one of the menus "trophy room", is that for achievements or for trophies you won in game like SC or President T. ?

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I see in one of the menus "trophy room", is that for achievements or for trophies you won in game like SC or President T. ?

I can't really remember... if it is a sub-menu of the franchise mode I'm pretty sure it would be the NHL trophies. The game might have had challenges but i don't recall them.

Makes me want to play again! (I had the game on the wii too, where it was pretty fun using simple movements to shoot and deke)

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
I can't really remember... if it is a sub-menu of the franchise mode I'm pretty sure it would be the NHL trophies. The game might have had challenges but i don't recall them.

Makes me want to play again! (I had the game on the wii too, where it was pretty fun using simple movements to shoot and deke)

I would like to see something like that in Franchise mode in EA NHL. It would be cool to see all trophies (with season attached to it) you won during your GM carrer. Probably too much to ask from ea.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I would like to see something like that in Franchise mode in EA NHL. It would be cool to see all trophies (with season attached to it) you won during your GM carrer. Probably too much to ask from ea.

You can't? I didn't play the EA games dynasty modes in forever because I rather play EHM for that experience. But yeah, as a kid 2k10 was such a gem for fantasy mode play. I would also play with friends, and the simulation was so fast we could go over a season in 30 mins

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I said it before, and I’ll say it again. Back in the PS1 days, EAs product was pretty much the same with minimal change. 989 Sports’ Faceoff series was a ton more entertaining and realistic than the EA counterpart IMO (for the time of course). NHL Faceoff 2001 always has a ton of replay value for me!

I played NHL2004 and that Dynasty Mode was the best I ever played. I never played the 2K10 version like someone mentioned above, but from what I’ve seen on YouTube, it looks amazing.

there were so many great NHL games in the beginning. The PowerPlay series, Faceoff Series, 2K and EA. Now, it’s only one company and it sucks.

Hattrickkane88

Apr 11, 2019
Besides the graphics the 2k games are still better then any ea game sense 2014.. Pretty sad how ea claims realism yet they've completely nerfed realistic stick movement in favour of top players just using the LT to skate backwards every scoring chance.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.

How long is the dynasty mode in that ?

i might start a vintage dynasty mode thread.... anyone know how long the dynasty mode in nhl 2008 on ps2 was ?

Reactions: abo9

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
You could go pretty long on the the 2k Series. And the trophy room had all the trophies that you won as during the franchise. Also could look at all time records and see how you stack up each season. Makes me want to dig out my 360 and play it to see how it plays.

Readytostart

Feb 19, 2016
This video popped on on my Youtube homepage and brought back some great memories of this game. From the animation, to the customization, and the overall variety this game offers - but most of all, just the subtle nuances and detail put into the gameplay that is so satisfying as a gamer and someone who watches a lot of hockey. EA brought some great things to hockey gaming, especially the things they added earlier this decade (most notably the skill stick) but to me, there seems to be a lot more depth and attention to detail found in NHL2K10 vs. some of the more recent releases in the EA series. And without any competition to push the series forward, it seems like the EA series has gone a bit stagnate - focusing more time on the online aspect and what color scarf your MYplayer should wear....I like the direction they took adding some more goalie and shot animations but even those seem to be pretty underwhelming after a while.

Anyways sorry for the rant. I still enjoy playing NHL20 but this video made me miss certain things that the 2K series offered. I wish 2K would revive their NHL series like they're doing with the NFL but that probably won't happen. I just can't imagine what we could be playing right now if 2K stuck with it - especially with the PS5 and the other next gen consoles dropping soon.

I love this video. It made we want to go get 2k10 and play again...

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
So I’m kind of surprised and at how much EA has repeatedly thrown the wool over our eyes year after year it seems.

A local retro game shop in my area opened back up again. I bought NHL 2001, 2002, and 2003 for the PS2. NHL2001 and 2002 are (just about) the same game, minus some features like collecting cards in 2002. It’s like each year is a glorified Roster Update. It’s just playing these games as a Retrospective stance, I don’t know how EA was able to garner such high praise while other companies like 2K and 989 Sports were always crapped on.. (arguably being better!)

might be an unpopular opinion, but Ultimate Team has ruined sports games.

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
NHL 2k5 was the best. Legendary teams, game room, great season features, and the game play was 10 times better then NHL05 , NHL 06 imo. We could edit existing players, so it was easy for me to re invent the new players.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
NHL 2k5 was the best. Legendary teams, game room, great season features, and the game play was 10 times better then NHL05 , NHL 06 imo. We could edit existing players, so it was easy for me to re invent the new players.

I cheated to be ranked #1 overall in that game :laugh:

Not my proudest 13 year old moment.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Besides the graphics the 2k games are still better then any ea game sense 2014.. Pretty sad how ea claims realism yet they've completely nerfed realistic stick movement in favour of top players just using the LT to skate backwards every scoring chance.

Disagree. There's a reason that NHL 2K fell off the map. EA NHL 08 (I think) was the first one to have a "skill stick" and since then they've never looked back. The features of the 2K games were unquestionably better but the gameplay from NHL 08 onwards was always better than what 2K was doing.

EA won out in the hockey game war because they innovated. Skill stick in 08, EASHL and Clubs in 09, enhancements to boosting your EASHL Pro and giving more and more detail in '10, HUT in '11 (back when it was still pure and excellent), improvements to HUT and EASHL in 12', GM Connected in 13'.

From then on out though they stopped trying to truly innovate and instead decided it was easier and more profitable to capitalize on UT-microtransactions and there games turned to shit.

Reactions: Hattrickkane88

Hattrickkane88

Apr 11, 2019
Disagree. There's a reason that NHL 2K fell off the map. EA NHL 08 (I think) was the first one to have a "skill stick" and since then they've never looked back. The features of the 2K games were unquestionably better but the gameplay from NHL 08 onwards was always better than what 2K was doing.

EA won out in the hockey game war because they innovated. Skill stick in 08, EASHL and Clubs in 09, enhancements to boosting your EASHL Pro and giving more and more detail in '10, HUT in '11 (back when it was still pure and excellent), improvements to HUT and EASHL in 12', GM Connected in 13'.

From then on out though they stopped trying to truly innovate and instead decided it was easier and more profitable to capitalize on UT-microtransactions and there games turned to shit.
My post might have been hard to understand but we are pretty much on the same page, i was probably drunk..

I agree with you that ea nhl 08-14 were really good games better then anything 2k has ever made, all of those things you named were good i loved nhl 08-14.. That's precisely why i said "SENSE 2014".

Where we might disagree is how bad 2015 + have been because i would rather play a old 2k game then nhl 15-20 even if 08-14 were really good games.

the graphics are great BUT like you said Nhl 08 came with the amazing skill stick and in my view its been RUINED sense 2015, stick movement is no longer for avoiding pokes or hits because LT is 10x more effective then actually having the hockey iq to use the skill stick to avoid people. The main use of the skill stick nowadays is holding forehand or backhand and hoping it allows you to bump off a defender..

Deking has been broken sense 2015 as well, LT is way more effective and even if you know the proper time to do dekes with 95 rated deking your guy either leaves the puck behind or shovels it right into the defenders skates. No comp players get beat by dekes, only LT.

Good things like boosting your pro have been completely ruined, they literally switched it for traits that make ZERO sense, in 2019 Faceoffs could be boosted but it would take away your poke checking, that is a complete unrealistic joke because IRL centers are suppose to win draws AND play good defence.

You agree with me HUT has been ruined so i won't get into why it's trash ever sense 2015.

Gm connected is GONE, we only have franchise mode and 2k to this day STILL has a more in-depth franchise mode that actually tracks records and awards past 5 messily years.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad