Kings Article: A Look At LA Kings 2016 2nd Round Pick D Kale Clague

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
Outside of front office changes, it's been a relatively quiet summer for the LA Kings, so how about we take a look at some of their young prospects?

First off is their 2016 second round draft pick, Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL) defenseman Kale Clague, who the Kings are very, very high on.

Read all about his progress, including exclusive comments from Clague and Kings assistant general manager Michael Futa, at...

A Look At LA Kings 2016 2nd Round Pick D Kale Clague

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
What's the floor and ceiling of this guy's potential? Heard a lot of good things about him but I just want an honest outlook.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
What's the floor and ceiling of this guy's potential? Heard a lot of good things about him but I just want an honest outlook.

Skilled, good skater, good vision.

But like all prospects need to see him play against MEN.

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
He does sound a lot like Hickey. Which isn't a bad thing necessarily.

Hickey was/is also a good skater.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I agree the overall role he would be fulfilling and playstyle he would be using sounds a lot like Hickey. Granted, I haven't seen much of him, so I could be off base.

But I liked Hickey, too. I think most people would have liked Hickey if he wasn't taken 4th overall. Either way, he has still carved out an NHL career.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He does sound a lot like Hickey. Which isn't a bad thing necessarily.

Hickey was/is also a good skater.

Good skater, not near-elite skater. Didn't mean to suggest Hickey was a bad one, just wanted to illustrate how good Clague was.

Maybe Nick Leddy a better comparison?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Good skater, not near-elite skater. Didn't mean to suggest Hickey was a bad one, just wanted to illustrate how good Clague was.

Maybe Nick Leddy a better comparison?

Skating was one of the main reasons the Kings selected Hickey at 4th overall. When you watch him play his skating ability sticks out. I don't know if he's elite in this area, but I don't think just calling his skating "good" does it justice either.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You know you're right; I think I remember people talking about Hickey's skating like Neidermeyer's. Wonder who I'm thinking of that I misremembered Hickey. At draft time, anyway.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Hickey is a good comparison for Clague, size and skating wise.

I think Clague plays a tad more physical. Pretty much a wash offensively. Both really good skaters and on-ice thinkers. Both guys have exceptional vision.

The biggest difference I think is that Hickey was always an offensive guy who needed to work harder to improve his defense. Clague was more of a solid defensive guy who needed to work on his offense. Clague is more of a 2-way guy where Hickey has always been more of an offensive type.

In the few times I've seen him play, Clague also reminds of LaDue with his skating and vision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad