A look at every Doug MacLean transaction from the beginning

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I can only add that seeing this thread & reading

through it on the fly made me puke my Summer Shandy in my mouth. I need to go have another beer and forget the Dougie MacLean era ever happened.

Scott Howson for President.. Dougie.. you still suck.

It's been 24 hours since I posted this. On reflection I can still taste the summer shandy puked in my mouth. Dougie, you hosed us pretty good, you ball sack

Last edited:

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
While I am sure a lot of work went into it, I could not read this thread. It would make me too angry.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Fans can be funny

Not saying I'm a great DM fan but there are many in the profession that don't agree he's a bumbling idiot as some of the posts here would indicate... heck, not every ex CBJ affliated person can be a total bust... We do still like Jody right? :)

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Not saying I'm a great DM fan but there are many in the profession that don't agree he's a bumbling idiot as some of the posts here would indicate... heck, not every ex CBJ affliated person can be a total bust... We do still like Jody right? :)

He hasn't worked for an NHL team since he was fired here. With the good old boys network that permeates NHL front offices, I'd think that even an average guy could find a job with a team.

Put it another way: Chris Macfarlane has now worked for the CBJ twice as long as MacLean.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit

He's a bumbling idiot. Just because the beer was cheaper doesn't mean those years were redeemable. We just weren't as sick of losing yet.

And thought this isn't Doug Maclean's fault, I'll have you know that NWA almost had their license to sell beer taken away during the Maclean years.

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
Doug could help the Caps or any other franchise if used the right way. He promoted the CBJ really well, was always fun to listen to, and good for the community. As a GM, he'll be a train wreck.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I am happy DM is back in the news as it resurrected Palinka's great post tracking DM's draft picks and trades, it was really one of the best posts I have read in my time on the board, which admittedly is a bit shorter than many here. Belated thanks to you, Palinka, for the DM history.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
This is true

I am happy DM is back in the news as it resurrected Palinka's great post tracking DM's draft picks and trades, it was really one of the best posts I have read in my time on the board, which admittedly is a bit shorter than many here. Belated thanks to you, Palinka, for the DM history.

one of the best posts ever. Sorry Bob, I can't think of anything that Doug did that turned out well in the long run. I think his initial bumbling free agent signings made Mr. Mac a little leary to invest more money in players. 1st mistake was making him GM & President, 2nd was letting him coach, 3rd was keeping him beyond 3 years.

GMDM gave me tickets to a game once, but the PEI connection needed to be severed early on in the relationship.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
He's a bumbling idiot. Just because the beer was cheaper doesn't mean those years were redeemable. We just weren't as sick of losing yet.

And thought this isn't Doug Maclean's fault, I'll have you know that NWA almost had their license to sell beer taken away during the Maclean years.

The license thing for buying beer in Nationwide was not Doug’s fault... It was based on conservative forces in Columbus of some nature (perhaps even some conservatives within the organization).. Does the RBAR ask for a picture ID to buy beer on non hockey nights????

I've been to five NHL Arenas across the league and none have required a photo ID to buy beer, in some of those towns I asked about ID's and the beer salesmen laughed at me...

The bash DM stuff here has gone beyond unfair...

Last edited:

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Doug could help the Caps or any other franchise if used the right way. He promoted the CBJ really well, was always fun to listen to, and good for the community. As a GM, he'll be a train wreck.

DM is a good guy, in fact, a great promoter of the NHL game but his problem as a manager is he reacts as a bumbling stupid NHL fan instead of a calm NHL professional..

Doug is ok.... he has a great heart folks and I wish CBJ fan would look for some good as well as bashing him.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
DM is a good guy, in fact, a great promoter of the NHL game but his problem as a manager is he reacts as a bumbling stupid NHL fan instead of a calm NHL professional..

Doug is ok.... he has a great heart folks and I wish CBJ fan would look for some good as well as bashing him.

I would agree that his best attribute was being a good promoter with maybe his greatest contribution being the frontman for the new franchise. In that way, he might have been the right guy for the job at that moment. I do think one of his shortcomings beyond talent was wanting to be the top dog, preventing him from hiring coaches possibly held in a higher esteem than him.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'll have you know that NWA almost had their license to sell beer taken away during the Maclean years.

That's because the beer vendors weren't ID'ing underage people. Not sure how that is Doug's fault. He was a bumbling GM but I don't see how those tie together.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
That's because the beer vendors weren't ID'ing underage people. Not sure how that is Doug's fault. He was a bumbling GM but I don't see how those tie together.

Well, in fairness to Sam, the full quote was:

And though this isn't Doug Maclean's fault, I'll have you know that NWA almost had their license to sell beer taken away during the Maclean years.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Lets review the facts:

He was made President GM from the get go & given the keys to the franchise & for that he could thank a very hot goalie that carried him into the playoffs. His assessment of the organ-i-za-tion was that nobody could do anything as well he thought he could do it himself which led to him wearing every hat in te organ-I-za-tion. Mean while he came across as arrogant & sarcastic to just about everyone that met him.

He overturned the decisions of his scouting staff per "Head of scouting - Donny Boyd", giving us Keil Mcleod & many other players (some really long in the tooth, rather than building out from net through the draft like he professed.

Admittedly when things didn't go as he planned Dougie was prone to panic and throw the baby out with the wash - I.E numerous changes on the fly to the original franchise plan. I liked Doug a little at first, but his biggest weakness was never realizing that he did not have a good eye for talent. For a new franchise that is small market you just cannot whiff like Doug did.

PS, in almost every industry that I am familiar with Doug would have recognized as inept and relieved of his duties by the 3rd year, just saying

major major

Feb 18, 2013
He was made President GM from the get go & given the keys to the franchise & for that he could thank a very hot goalie that carried him into the playoffs. His assessment of the organ-i-za-tion was that nobody could do anything as well he thought he could do it himself which led to him wearing every hat in te organ-I-za-tion. Mean while he came across as arrogant & sarcastic to just about everyone that met him.

He overturned the decisions of his scouting staff per "Head of scouting - Donny Boyd", giving us Keil Mcleod & many other players (some really long in the tooth, rather than building out from net through the draft like he professed.

Admittedly when things didn't go as he planned Dougie was prone to panic and throw the baby out with the wash - I.E numerous changes on the fly to the original franchise plan. I liked Doug a little at first, but his biggest weakness was never realizing that he did not have a good eye for talent. For a new franchise that is small market you just cannot whiff like Doug did.

PS, in almost every industry that I am familiar with Doug would have recognized as inept and relieved of his duties by the 3rd year, just saying

You must not be familiar with sales. Doug could sell ice cream to an Eskimo.

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
I'm pretty sure Eskimos eat ice cream but don't make it.

Anyway, is there any reason that NWA still doesn't allow beer vendors to walk around? Are there any other NHL arenas with such a restriction?

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Let me be clear that although Doug was a disaster as GM (and coach), I do think he is a good president and would be a guy I'd love to have a beer with. Most of his flaws, to my mind, are of the personnell variety rather than personal. Like someone said, he could sell dirt to a camel. The problem came when he had to deliver the dirt...

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit

Funny enough, I think 99% of the positive things attributed to Maclean come from the honeymoon period, the "just happy to be here" effect and other things that he wasn't really responsible before.

I'm pretty sure Eskimos eat ice cream but don't make it.

Anyway, is there any reason that NWA still doesn't allow beer vendors to walk around? Are there any other NHL arenas with such a restriction?

Related to the underage violations and the fact that it's just really annoying if you're not the one buying the beer.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I was one of the first on the IDWT bandwagons, but was also one of the first off, then on the IDIOT bandwagon (In Doug I Once Trusted) in the beginning (I know Edm was on that bandwagon a little earlier than me on other boards).

Doug had some great moves - moving up to get Nash, acquiring Whitney are my 2 favorites.
But for every good move there was 3-4 moves that just left you scratching your head?
He so desperately wanted to win early that he refused to do what expansion teams are suppose to do - LOSE. He acquired vets on the downside of their career to fill top line roles who were at best marginal players on solid teams. he refused to let Dave King coach - and Dave King could have been succesful here. But Doug wanted his vets playing.
I still remember the Coaches show in the early years (as original coaching search was going on) and hearing "I don't know who the first coach will be, but I know who the second coach would be". Pretty close part of the PEI mafia had to get a chance.

Doug never comprehended that he needed elite talent from the draft. He was so butt-hurt that Klesla was not Gaborik that he said the line about "Who ever we draft (think it was Zherdev) will be better than Gaborik". He continually tinkered enough to always have us drafting 6-9th.
Then his constant blabbering and making excuses on the radio.
Thankfully at some point Mr. Mc finally saw through his BS and hired Hitchcock who for a while turned the franchis in the right direction.

As a guy I liked Doug. I have several phone conversations with him about my frustrations as a fan and he would send me an e-mail and say "call this number" and it was his office. Honestly noone else has ever done that, so I give him respect. he believed in himself, but way too much.
Entertaining guy, treated me well (as a fan) but glad he's gone.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I really want somebody to tweet at him asking what was going through his mind during the whole end result of the Tugnutt+32nd deal...

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Given all his faults, he is largely responsible for what youth and adult hockey has become for Central Ohio. Adult rec leagues went from 3 in 2003, to as many as 19 now (with an average of 8-10 teams in each league), making it I believe the 2nd largest in the country. You're now seeing kids from Dublin Ohio being drafted into the NHL and representing the country in the World JR's.

He was a terrible GM, but he was also tasked with building the team from literally nothing and selling it to a community that didnt really care about anything other then OSU, Browns and Steelers. So I will not say his time here was a complete and total waste.... 9/10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->