A look at a few teams under the Eklund cba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
http://www.hockeyrumors.blogspot.com/

Well using his model I looked at a few teams and saw some teams with potential problem under this system.

Colorado

Franchise player Joe sakic 8.45 million

other 5 players

Blake 8.35
hejduk 5.7
Tanguay 4.25
foote 4.4
konowalchuk 2.5

even without foersberg they are over the $20 million mentioned. sure that number is arbitrary, but i doubt it will be higher than that so i am going to use it.

Colorado is $5.2 million over already in that area alone. so they would need to cut a player like Blake to really be under the 20 million cap, because aebischer would move into the top 5 if bBake was cut and he makes 2.5 million.

look at Toronto

Franchise Sundin 8.0 million

top 5

Belfour 8.0
nolan 6.5
leetch 6.4
mogilny 5.5
Macabe 4.45

so toronto is 11.5 million over the $20 million cap so tehy would need to cut belfour and nolan to be under this cap and with the size of the contracts under mcabe it would still would take more to cut it under the 20 million. This team will have problems in a cap world

look at Philly

franchise player: Leclair 9 million

top 5 players:

roenick 7 million
amonte 5.8
primeau 4.5
Burke 4.25
desjardins 4.0

the flyers are 5.5 over the cap and with the next highest player at 3.0 million and 9 players that are 1.6-2.9 million. they would be the poster child as to why this doesn't work. they would have to buy out leclaire and move roenick to franchise player. They could also buy out burke and then I think they are just about ready.

Overall they would be cutting payroll costs but from an on ice product point of view this is not to bad for them.

Look at the NYR

Franchise player Jagr $11.0 million

top 5

Holik 8.85 million
Kasparitus 4.45
dunham 3.6 million
tom poti 3.1
Mikael nylander 2.9

the ranger are only 2.9 million over and so they could work it but boy oh boy thats a bad roster imo.

now take a team like Vancouver

franchise Bertuzzi 7.1 miilion

top 5

Naslund 5.65 million
jovanovski 4.65
morrison 3.55
cloutier 3.05
ohlund 3.0

they would actually have a million open to add to make it 20 million. This would be the model that teams would be wanting to move to with young core of players and salaries are high for the superstars but a big drop in spots 3-5.

take a look at a team like EDM

Franchise player Smyth 3.55 million

top 5 players.

Brewer 2.65 mil
smith 2.6
York 2.4
Dvorak 2.1
Staois 2.0

the oiler would be under the 20 million cap by a whopping 8.25 million. If there is any change in revenue sharing then they might have some money to spend to move that up but as it stand now they would be under the cap. If it was a minmum amount of say 15 million the oiler would have to add a player in teh 4 million range.

Now people have been saying this isn't a cap, but this model with a arbitrary $20 million dollar number shows how the salry costs are being cut overall. What if it was only $15 million, a lot of teams would be facing big problems meeting this cap. all of a sudden you could see teams trading away their 2nd 4th and 5th best players to get under the cap. The players in the 6-23 spots on the teasm would be push down as well to get under the cap.

blah

Jun 24, 2003
look at Philly

top 5 players:

roenick 7 million
amonte 5.8
primeau 4.5
Burke 4.25
desjardins 4.0

the flyers are 5.5 over the cap and with the next highest player at 3.0 million and 9 players that are 1.6-2.9 million. they would be the poster child as to why this doesn't work. they would have to buy out leclaire and move roenick to franchise player. They could also buy out burke and then I think they are just about ready.
Actually they're probably going to buyout LeClair, Amonte, and Burke regardless of what the new CBA brings. They want LeClair and Amonte gone. Niity is ready and will be pushing Esche shortly. Roenick also might not be back. They're not going to sign any FA for more than Primeau's 4/17mil either. The Flyers will be fine. Not sure about the rest of those teams though.

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
Chayos1 said:
http://www.hockeyrumors.blogspot.com/

Well using his model I looked at a few teams and saw some teams with potential problem under this system.

Colorado

Franchise player Joe sakic 8.45 million

other 5 players

Blake 8.35
hejduk 5.7
Tanguay 4.25
foote 4.4
konowalchuk 2.5

even without foersberg they are over the $20 million mentioned. sure that number is arbitrary, but i doubt it will be higher than that so i am going to use it.

Colorado is $5.2 million over already in that area alone. so they would need to cut a player like Blake to really be under the 20 million cap, because aebischer would move into the top 5 if bBake was cut and he makes 2.5 million.

look at Toronto

Franchise Sundin 8.0 million

top 5

Belfour 8.0
nolan 6.5
leetch 6.4
mogilny 5.5
Macabe 4.45

so toronto is 11.5 million over the $20 million cap so tehy would need to cut belfour and nolan to be under this cap and with the size of the contracts under mcabe it would still would take more to cut it under the 20 million. This team will have problems in a cap world

look at Philly

top 5 players:

roenick 7 million
amonte 5.8
primeau 4.5
Burke 4.25
desjardins 4.0

Overall they would be cutting payroll costs but from an on ice product point of view this is not to bad for them.

Look at the NYR

Franchise player Jagr $11.0 million

top 5

Holik 8.85 million
Kasparitus 4.45
dunham 3.6 million
tom poti 3.1
Mikael nylander 2.9

the ranger are only 2.9 million over and so they could work it but boy oh boy thats a bad roster imo.

now take a team like Vancouver

franchise Bertuzzi 7.1 miilion

top 5

Naslund 5.65 million
jovanovski 4.65
morrison 3.55
cloutier 3.05
ohlund 3.0

they would actually have a million open to add to make it 20 million. This would be the model that teams would be wanting to move to with young core of players and salaries are high for the superstars but a big drop in spots 3-5.

take a look at a team like EDM

Franchise player Smyth 3.55 million

top 5 players.

Brewer 2.65 mil
smith 2.6
York 2.4
Dvorak 2.1
Staois 2.0

the oiler would be under the 20 million cap by a whopping 8.25 million. If there is any change in revenue sharing then they might have some money to spend to move that up but as it stand now they would be under the cap. If it was a minmum amount of say 15 million the oiler would have to add a player in teh 4 million range.

Now people have been saying this isn't a cap, but this model with a arbitrary $20 million dollar number shows how the salry costs are being cut overall. What if it was only $15 million, a lot of teams would be facing big problems meeting this cap. all of a sudden you could see teams trading away their 2nd 4th and 5th best players to get under the cap. The players in the 6-23 spots on the teasm would be push down as well to get under the cap.

I wonder if there will be a rollback of some kind, perhaps 10% . This would probably alleviate these first year problems...

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Here's Detroit

Franchise Player Nick Lidstrom 10 million

Cujo 8 million
Hatcher 5 million
Lang 5 million
Yzerman 4.5 million
Shanny 4 million

So they are 6.5 million over the cap. In all reality they would need to trade or waive two of these guys. Cause just getting rid of Cujo and replacing him with the next guy (Draper @ 2.8 million) would still put them over.

davidwii

Jan 20, 2005
It seems to me that if the cap allowed these big market teams, such as Colorado, Toronto, Philly to keep all these high priced guys and have a bloated payroll, then it would be defeating the purpose of instituting a cap.

So I would expect to see some sort of rollback or phase in period, where they are able to re-neg or trade or do whatever is chosen by each team to do to get under the salary cap...

Its not gonna be pretty for some of the hpriced teams. Their just gonna have to hire the Dan Snyder people from Washington to become capologists and work it if they want to keep the talent. And the players will have to accept less to stay....

My two cents anyways.... :D

Last edited:

Egghammer

Feb 21, 2004
London, ON
I think it's a great idea, the big spenders would not have the luxury of being ridiculous with their salaries for free agents or their own players

I'll use Vancouver's team as a model since they would fit under these guidelines

Franchise Player ~ Bertuzzi 7.1 miilion

Top 5

Naslund 5.65 million
Jovanovski 4.65
Morrison 3.55
Cloutier 3.05
Ohlund 3.00

Total 19,900,000 ($100,000 under the cap)

Now let's say they want to sign a free agent for $4.00 million, that would move Ohlund off of the Top 5 list. Taking off Ohlund's 3 million and adding on the free agents salary of 4 million puts them at 20,900,000 which is almost 1 million over the cap, it would make it very hard for a team to overspend on top end talent, it's easier to control the cost of the lower tiered players so for most teams the total of the lower tiered players wouldn't be too ridiculous, a team like the Rangers for example could still afford to ice a higher salaried team which for a city like New York they may need it, but realistically they're not going to overspend on a player like Chris Gratton for example, it would also make it a lot harder for them to grab a top end free agent because they'll need to stay within the 20 million guidelines for players 2-6

I like this idea a lot and hope this is the type of deal that they agree to

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
JWI19 said:
Here's Detroit

Franchise Player Nick Lidstrom 10 million

Cujo 8 million
Hatcher 5 million
Lang 5 million
Yzerman 4.5 million
Shanny 4 million

So they are 6.5 million over the cap. In all reality they would need to trade or waive two of these guys. Cause just getting rid of Cujo and replacing him with the next guy (Draper @ 2.8 million) would still put them over.

Or they could ask Hatcher, Lang, Yzerman or Shanahan to take a paycut or restructure their contract (defer payments or backload the contract).

I guess it would help the small market teams a little bit. For example, Iginla's a free agent but the usual suspects like Detroit, Toronto and the Rangers couldn't sign him because of Lidstrom, Joseph, Sundin, Belfour, Jagr and Holik. But the Flames could still lose a bunch of secondary players. Like what happened to Conroy. In this new system, Conroy going to LA would/could still happen.

What's funny to me is that I'm not sure the NHL or NHLPA would like this deal. For the NHLPA, players 2-6 on each team could be affected and wouldn't be under a free market (but the number one guy and the support guys would virtually unaffected). And for the NHL, you could still have really high payrolls. In theory you could have 1 guy making $10 million, 5 guys making $4 million and 16 guys making $3.99 million making it $93.84 million.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Coffey77 said:
Or they could ask Hatcher, Lang, Yzerman or Shanahan to take a paycut or restructure their contract (defer payments or backload the contract).

Hatchers contract is already backloaded. So the only choice is Lang. Next year wont be a problem because Yzerman will have retired and Cujo will be gone (unless there is a season and the Wings win the cup) and Shanny could be a UFA if the Wings dont pick up his option.

Los Tiburones

Jun 11, 2002
Visit site
I wouldn't be suprised if there was some overgirding cap to prevent real abuse of the system. Something in the neighborhood of $75 million. Ultimately, this system would have to rely upon the greed of the players to work. If the players compete to get paid more than $4 million, then that will knock down what a team could pay. The interesting part is that I can definitely imagine the teams with money refusing to pay any more than $4 million, because $4 million players are pretty good generally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->