Prospect Info: A little Talk on Joe Hicketts and my opinion on him.

Should he be in the NHL next year?

• Total voters

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
Hi, I am BlueBull and I would like to have a little talk on my opinion on hicketts, how interested I am as a fan In him, and also would like to ask you if he belongs in the NHL.
My Opinion on him dates back to December 2014, when Joe Hicketts, a Player from my Hometown team, the Victoria Royals, was selected to the 2015 Canadian World Junior Squad. He was the Captain of the Royals, a Team that was 2nd in their division that year and First in the entire WHL the next, in which he was also on that team. That 2015 team was one of the greatest World junior teams I've ever seen, Incuding guys like Sam Reinhart, Max Domi, and of course, Connor McDavid. In both 2015 and 2016 Hicketts was a Top 4/6 Dman, So I was always so keen on him making the NHL. After the 2017 season, I thought it may not happen. Now it has happened, and he has made the NHL. Just like the Victoria Cougars bringed enough Energy to Detroit to create what would become the Detroit Red Wings around 90 Years ago, A Victoria Royals Prospect has bringed Energy to the Red Wings to help them win games. (something they should wait until next year for i suppose)
I think despite his size at just 5'8", he belongs in an nhl uniform next season.
What do you think?

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
He looks like he might have some tools and decent vision but he's going to have to grow a lot before he becomes a regular. Right now he's worse than Jensen.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
How a player does in one or two games when they're shot out of a rocket into the NHL doesn't matter.
Hicketts was guilty of some really dumb turnovers that most kids wouldn't get away with.
I'd have liked to have seen him get 15-20 games to see how he does in games 10 and 15 when the newness wears off, and 6'3, 210 pound forwards are working him in the corners.
That's the key.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I think there's 0% chance he makes the team next year as a regular.

With a good camp, maybe he starts the year in the NHL if the Wings have a few injuries but goes down as soon as everyone is healthy.

I would imagine the Wings send him back down next season in hopes his production looks more like it did in 16-17. Even if that happens, I'd put money on him being penciled into the 19-20 roster as a #7 because he was "good enough in the AHL not to risk losing on waivers" ala Meech/Kindl/Sproul/etc.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think he'll be an NHLer for sure,Hes definitely a guy that will be overripened before he makes it. Even if hes just a number6/7 D I think hes physical enough and good enough at moving the puck to stick on a bottom pair

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
He's been given the past couple of games to show that he's worth it and he's shown that he's up to the task. If it's up to me, he's there as the #5 or #6 D. Hronek is next on the list.

Reactions: Hinterland

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He's had a solid couple of games, but he was garbage all year long in GR. That doesn't just get wiped away.

I don't know about Grand Rapids but he was excellent when with the Wings... both during preseason and regular season. If he works hard over the summer (no doubt he will) and comes up with another strong camp then (based on comments from Blashill and Holland) I like his chances for next season. Consistency will be key for him. Small simple size but I like what he did so far. He's easily been better than guys like Ericsson, Ouellet or Jensen.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I'm not a fan of what I've seen of him this year at all and I don't expect him to have any sort of meaningful NHL career.

It won't take very long for people to stop overlooking the flaws in his game and rooting for the underdog small guy that can throw the body around, and realize that he has a lot of flaws.

That being said, I do forgot just how young he still is, and maybe he gets better, but I'm not holding my breath

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I see him on the team next year. He has his flaws, but I also think his positives outweighed those during his stint. Fun fact: Joe Hicketts has the best +/- on the Detroit Red Wings this season.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
There is no doubt Hicketts is a great locker room guy, he can QB a PP and is an all-around heady player who passes the puck well. Having followed this kid since his days with Victoria I have seen him surpass expectations at every single level. His IQ and dedication give me hope that he can continue to overcome his size.

Being small, reach and body position will always be issues for him. His key to success will be maintaining tight gaps to disrupt the play before his size can be taken advantage of. That said this kid can hold his own in most puck battles as his strength and tenacity is continually underestimated.

What I find interesting is the number of people seemingly not giving him much a chance. Don’t get me wrong, I understand the knocks against the kid and I get that most of you are just maintaining realistic expectations. That’s fair and I get it. But how many of you complained about the Red Wings targeting “low upside non skilled players” last draft? How many of you have complained about over-ripening and only giving opportunities to safe players these last few years?

Despite being the smallest guy in the organization Hicketts is defying all of the organizational philosophies many of you hate. I think that speaks to an outstanding approach to his profession, his skill and dedication to whatever it takes.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I'm not a fan of what I've seen of him this year at all and I don't expect him to have any sort of meaningful NHL career.

It won't take very long for people to stop overlooking the flaws in his game and rooting for the underdog small guy that can throw the body around, and realize that he has a lot of flaws.

That being said, I do forgot just how young he still is, and maybe he gets better, but I'm not holding my breath

Of course he makes mistakes...he's a young guy and a rookie after all and he has enough things to work on over the summer. But he has been fair when with the Redwings. In fact his preseason and first games even impressed his teammates. Maybe I read too much into it but Zetterberg's interview after Hicketts first game back, for me, says it all. He was barely asked about Hicketts when he said that Joe was one of the best defenders in his 1st game and still got sent down. Those were his words and the way he said it I think is pretty telling of what he thinks about the defense playing behind him.
In Nashville there probably wouldn't be a spot for Hicketts but if the Redwings think that they can complete a rebuild with Ouellet, Ericsson, Jensen or a Kronwall on one leg then they're totally crazy. And I don't think they do. Hicketts will get a chance to make the team and so should other guys...particularly on defense.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He's already more physical than anyone else on our blueline at the moment. Torey Krug isn't big, and he is in the NHL, so eventhough Hicketts isn't Krug good, he can still play in this league.

Reactions: SirloinUB

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Hicketts' future is largely dependent on the development of other defensive prospects in the system. Could he do a job as a bottom pairing PP man with the right partner? It seems as such on a first viewing. But if Cholowski, Hronek and maybe Sambrook keep taking strides, he may never get the chance in Detroit, as there are others better than him already on the NHL roster.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Remember when Ouellet looked good when he got called up? Remember when Jensen looked good when he got called up? I do.

These kids run on adrenaline when they first get up, but eventually they have to start reading plays and doing the little things on a consistent basis, and that's where they fall apart. Hicketts is definitely not out of the woods yet.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
But how many of you complained about the Red Wings targeting “low upside non skilled players” last draft?
Do you think Hicketts has a lot of upside or skill? I don't really. I especially think his height, lack of reach, and good-but-not-great skating limit his upside. He's okay skill-wise, but he probably shouldn't be on your PP if you have a halfway decent defense group.

Let's not forget: this is a guy who had 10 points in 63 games this year in the AHL. And a -13, so his personal offensive contribution is a net loss.

Last edited:

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Do you think Hicketts has a lot of upside or skill? I don't really. I especially think his height, lack of reach, and good-but-not-great skating limit his upside. He's okay skill-wise, but he probably shouldn't be on your PP if you have a halfway decent defense group.

On skill alone I'd say he is a borderline top~6 dman in the organization but that is a pretty low bar right now haha. I certainly have him ahead of the entire 2017 defensive draft class in this regard.

Skating is the single most important improvement he can make but I don't think drastic improvements are required; consistent incremental improvements will do the trick.

But as I said, your critiques are not invalid. I’m just surprised so many are writing him off after he has bucked many of the organizational philosophies that are most disliked around here.

Has any young dman stepped in and had a bigger impact than Hicketts over the last few years?

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Remember when Ouellet looked good when he got called up? Remember when Jensen looked good when he got called up? I do.

These kids run on adrenaline when they first get up, but eventually they have to start reading plays and doing the little things on a consistent basis, and that's where they fall apart. Hicketts is definitely not out of the woods yet.

Let's not forget: this is a guy who had 10 points in 63 games this year in the AHL. And a -13, so his personal offensive contribution is a net loss.

I do find it interesting that while talking about AHL production you omitted the fact that Hicketts doubled the rookie production of the two dman you compared him to.

I also don't see anyone claiming "he is out of the woods."

At the end of the day he has work to do but we haven't seen any guys have a better transition to pro hockey except for DDK and Ericsson who were both much older.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavels Dog

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

He had a very good rookie year. He has upside for sure.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
On skill alone I'd say he is a borderline top~6 dman in the organization but that is a pretty low bar right now haha. I certainly have him ahead of the entire 2017 defensive draft class in this regard.

Skating is the single most important improvement he can make but I don't think drastic improvements are required; consistent incremental improvements will do the trick.

But as I said, your critiques are not invalid. I’m just surprised so many are writing him off after he has bucked many of the organizational philosophies that are most disliked around here.

Has any young dman stepped in and had a bigger impact than Hicketts over the last few years?

What impact?
What are we talking about?
How many giveaways and breakaways against in just 4 games?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad