A little love from Alabama

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
There's no hope for the people of Alabama.

What about the kind, well-intentioned, genuine poster whose thread you're replying to? Hopeless?

Politics and culture are complex and nuanced issues, much too much so to dissect on a board populated by hockey nerds (amongst which I proudly count myself).

We'll be alright.

But back to hockey... wife is still on board for a trip to Ottawa next October/November.

I'm with SoA - come later in the year. Sens fans take a while to get into things and games later in the year have such a great feel to them. Also, Ottawa really peaks and comes out of it's shell in the spring... I find my parents neighbourhood depressing because its so, so grey and dominated by cement, but in the spring I can walk the dog from one end of the canal to the other and I'll smile the whole time.

I know life doesnt always work that way, but if it's six of one and a half-dozen of the other, I'd aim for a springtime trip.

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
Should come for end of year/playoffs late April/May .. weather is much nicer, although October was pretty nice this year

What I'm hoping is we can go next fall, and then spring the following year. Airfare is a lot less expensive than I thought it would be - plus we may have a new dog by then, and that could curtail some travel.

Thinking Fall - longer trip, visit Toronto and Hall of Fame, then Ottawa for a game, then Montreal to see it, then back to Ottawa for another game.

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
What about the kind, well-intentioned, genuine poster whose thread you're replying to? Hopeless?

Politics and culture are complex and nuanced issues, much too much so to dissect on a board populated by hockey nerds (amongst which I proudly count myself).

I'm with SoA - come later in the year. Sens fans take a while to get into things and games later in the year have such a great feel to them. Also, Ottawa really peaks and comes out of it's shell in the spring... I find my parents neighbourhood depressing because its so, so grey and dominated by cement, but in the spring I can walk the dog from one end of the canal to the other and I'll smile the whole time.

I know life doesnt always work that way, but if it's six of one and a half-dozen of the other, I'd aim for a springtime trip.

I figure tickets will be easier to get earlier in the season.

The spring trip.. are you thinking March or April?

Using this...October could be right :)
Weather and temperature averages for Ottawa, Canada

Flights are about $200 from Nashville to Toronto.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
What I'm hoping is we can go next fall, and then spring the following year. Airfare is a lot less expensive than I thought it would be - plus we may have a new dog by then, and that could curtail some travel.

Thinking Fall - longer trip, visit Toronto and Hall of Fame, then Ottawa for a game, then Montreal to see it, then back to Ottawa for another game.
Sounds like a great trip... Montreal is an awesome city...save at least a couple of days

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
Sounds like a great trip... Montreal is an awesome city...save at least a couple of days

The plan in the early stages is to fly out on a Friday. Land in Toronto in early afternoon. If we can catch a Marlies game, or an OHL game - London, Misssaugua (fun word to say, hard to spell), Peterborough (One of my Stiga buds lives there), or any game, that would be cool.

Hall of Fame on Saturday - find Toronto's best pizza place for lunch, and best Italian place for dinner - we lack great Italian places down here. Or if Ottawa is at home - drive there for the game. Find Ottawa's best pizza place :)

Allowing 2 days for Toronto, 2 for Ottawa, and at least 2 for Montreal.

Wife is okay with going to games, so that works in my favor.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

I don't think you will have too much trouble finding tickets to regular season games, especially if you plan ahead.

April will be nicer than March, imo. October and March are probably actually quite similar :D.

That said, with ticket prices so low, I don't think you can go wrong either way! Your trip sounds awesome, I think you'll really enjoy Montreal.

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
I don't think you will have too much trouble finding tickets to regular season games, especially if you plan ahead.

April will be nicer than March, imo. October and March are probably actually quite similar :D.

That said, with ticket prices so low, I don't think you can go wrong either way! Your trip sounds awesome, I think you'll really enjoy Montreal.

Trick is the season usually ends the first week in April right? So that means trying to get playoff tickets... more money.. and OHL games will be over.

Found this on Trip Advisor... Ottawa looks amazing.

Ottawa 2017: Best of Ottawa, Ontario Tourism - TripAdvisor

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Trick is the season usually ends the first week in April right? So that means trying to get playoff tickets... more money.. and OHL games will be over.

Found this on Trip Advisor... Ottawa looks amazing.

Ottawa 2017: Best of Ottawa, Ontario Tourism - TripAdvisor

Ottawa is one of the most underrated cities in the country. I know it's cliche but it really is a city with a small town feel. Kind of like Canada's San Diego. As a matter of fact Melnyk kinda reminds me of Spanos... f***

I'd put this city up against Montreal or Toronto any day.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
Ottawa is one of the most underrated cities in the country. I know it's cliche but it really is a city with a small town feel. Kind of like Canada's San Diego. As a matter of fact Melnyk kinda reminds me of Spanos... ****

I'd put this city up against Montreal or Toronto any day.

San Diego isn't underrated. Probably the only place in California I'd consider living.

Those pictures are stunning.

I didn't realize Gatineau was so close. I know some Canadian volleyballers from that area.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Yeah the weather in the fall or spring can be a bit iffy and you don't know what you'll get. It could be reasonably warm. It could be below freezing. You could chance it with long range forecasts or pack some sweaters or coats just in case.

Reactions: Panic at the Back

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
Yeah the weather in the fall or spring can be a bit iffy and you don't know what you'll get. It could be reasonably warm. It could be below freezing. You could chance it with long range forecasts or pack some sweaters or coats just in case.

I'm hoping I can get a sweater that has Karlsson 65 to wear. Still can't find a Reebok on sale.

Keep the tips coming folks.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I'm hoping I can get a sweater that has Karlsson 65 to wear. Still can't find a Reebok on sale.

Keep the tips coming folks.

I think it will depend on what you and your wife like to do. There's going to be lots of things to do in every city. Ottawa is smaller so there will be less things than a city the size of Toronto.

There's the Byward Market with a farmer's market, craft shops and stuff, there's Sparks Street, the Parliament Buildings and Supreme Court. Sometimes they offer tours although I'm not too sure if you have to reserve or if you can walk up and get tickets. Rideau Hall does too but they usually require reservations made ahead of time.

Unfortunately unlike Washington - all the museums have entrance fees whereas you get the Smithsonian museums in Washington which have free entry.

There is the National Gallery of Canada for artwork, National Arts Centre for performing arts, Museum of Nature, Museum of Civilization (Museum of History now?) right across the river.

I would say the museums of Nature and Civilization have an orientation towards families with kids.
If I remember right the Museum of Civilization has an IMAX Dome running short movies if you're a big fan of motion sickness.

There's Gatineau Park, the MacKenzie King Estate if you like natural beauty.

There are a lot of sculptures and memorials throughout downtown and around Parliament Hill.

I'm probably missing a ton of things including other museums - there's the Diefenbunker a little outside of the city. The nuclear war shelter for top government and military officials. It's a museum now.

And of course there's less tourist-y things you can do.

The place around the CTC right now is actually pretty built up. Some commercial buildings and some suburbs! But honestly I'm jealous of some of the build up. Those brand new streets and homes. Some of the neighborhoods look like they're out of a TV show.

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
Been a rough few weeks with the Sens. But the last game they won was when I was wearing my new Karlsson t-shirt, so that will come out of the wardrobe tomorrow.

For any other Yanks around here - Happy Thanksgiving!

For the Canadians - Happy Thursday!

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
Watching from warm compared to Ottawa northern Alabama. Got my Karlsson t-shirt on. No heater on in the house to honor you crazy folks up there.

Just a matter of time before the Sens beat Price. It's coming.

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
By the way, I think Melnyk finally broke the barrier. Biggest event in Ottawa Sens history in 25 years and he talks about moving the team. Attendance may be down to the fact that the team has lost a lot of games this season.

I do hope he sells the team and soon.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa

My 2 cents on Fall vs Spring -- Spring really is nice here, late April and May are my favorite times of the year. BUT -- if you want to guarantee yourself of seeing a Sens game, then you would have to come in early April, and at that time of year the chances of a winter storm are pretty high. (We almost always get a snowstorm in the first week of April, and people are almost always surprised... despite the fact that it happens every year).

So, if I was you I'd come in early October, just after the start of the regular season. Weather will still be nice, the fall colors will be out, and you'll be able to get tickets.

As for stuff to do, spend as much time in and around the dontown core as possible -- the canal, the Chateau Laurier, the Parliament buildings, the locks ... these are the things that are unique to Ottawa. If you're in to biking, there are lots of great pathways that take you by these things and the views are beautiful.

For museums: the National Gallery is nice for art and it's got this fantastic giant spider statue outside it, but the one reason to make sure to go to it is the great hall right inside the entranceway that provides a spectacular view of the parliament buildings.

If you're at all interested in airplanes then the Aviation Museum is definitely worth doing as they have alot of great WWI and WWII military planes. You can also do helicopter tours of the city from there.

For pizza, most of the places in the link you sent I have tried and they are good ... but there is a newer one that isn't on that list "Roberto's Pizza" on Preston St. I think it's now the best of the wood oven pizza options in the city.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad