A little afterthought for latvian fans...

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Taken from interview with Martins Cipulis(From Sporta Avize)

"...Aiziet viens negatīvais spriedums, otrs, un spēlētājs tiek norakstīts. Vienu gadu tā bija ar Rodrigo Laviņu, pērn ar mani, bet Å¡ogad visas nelaimes nāk no Gunta Galviņa. Katru gadu gadu viņi (līdzjutēji) izvēlas vienu un to uzcītīgi ņurca. Tev bezmaz jābūt gatavam, kurā gadā izkritīs tava loze. Un spēlētājam jābūt psiholoģiski spēcīgam. Ja es Å¡vakāks, jāsāk dzert, jābeidz spēlēt hokeju vai arī jāmūk projām.

Matulis: Vai tas nozīmē, ka Latvijas tauta par daudz no jums prasa?

Cipulis: Nē, jāprasa ir, bet citreiz ir situācijas, kad nav saprotams, par ko Å¡ie pārmetumi. Laikam mums paÅ¡iem arī jāskatās, kas ir Å¡ie pārmetēji. Ja tas ir kaimiņÅ¡, kurÅ¡ dzīvē neko labu nav redzējis, lai runā. Ja visu ņemsi galvā, tad dzīvi var pabeigt trako mājā. Jā, ir brīži, kad vajadzīga kritika. Lai sapurinātu. Bet ja kritizē visu laiku...

TLDR in english- latvian fans like to pick a scapegoat (not bothered to translate all of it)

What do you my fellow countrymen think? Are we sometimes too high with our excpectations from players? Does the bashing sometimes go too much over the line? It`s sometimes sickening to open up latvian sports website and see all the hatred and negativity.What do you think?

DrStrangelife

Dec 14, 2011
Rīga
Taken from interview with Martins Cipulis(From Sporta Avize)

"...Aiziet viens negatīvais spriedums, otrs, un spēlētājs tiek norakstīts. Vienu gadu tā bija ar Rodrigo Laviņu, pērn ar mani, bet šogad visas nelaimes nāk no Gunta Galviņa. Katru gadu gadu viņi (līdzjutēji) izvēlas vienu un to uzcītīgi ņurca. Tev bezmaz jābūt gatavam, kurā gadā izkritīs tava loze. Un spēlētājam jābūt psiholoģiski spēcīgam. Ja es švakāks, jāsāk dzert, jābeidz spēlēt hokeju vai arī jāmūk projām.

Matulis: Vai tas nozīmē, ka Latvijas tauta par daudz no jums prasa?

Cipulis: Nē, jāprasa ir, bet citreiz ir situācijas, kad nav saprotams, par ko šie pārmetumi. Laikam mums pašiem arī jāskatās, kas ir šie pārmetēji. Ja tas ir kaimiņš, kurš dzīvē neko labu nav redzējis, lai runā. Ja visu ņemsi galvā, tad dzīvi var pabeigt trako mājā. Jā, ir brīži, kad vajadzīga kritika. Lai sapurinātu. Bet ja kritizē visu laiku...

TLDR in english- latvian fans like to pick a scapegoat (not bothered to translate all of it)

What do you my fellow countrymen think? Are we sometimes too high with our excpectations from players? Does the bashing sometimes go too much over the line? It`s sometimes sickening to open up latvian sports website and see all the hatred and negativity.What do you think?

Pathetic :facepalm: They are supposed to be professional ice-hockey players and hence they should be ready to face any criticism the public wishes to throw at them. It's part of the sport!!! This simply is pathetic, I've lost a lot of respect for Cipulis now!!! :facepalm:

And he even threatens us that our Hockey players, because of our criticism, will become alcoholics and will end up in a loony house... :banghead: **** then Why did they even choose to become ice-hockey players in the first place??? Even the worlds greatest athletes are being criticized all the time.

Pathetic, pathetic, pathetic... :shakehead

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
Pathetic :facepalm: They are supposed to be professional ice-hockey players and hence they should be ready to face any criticism the public wishes to throw at them. It's part of the sport!!! This simply is pathetic, I've lost a lot of respect for Cipulis now!!! :facepalm:
It's not pathetic, people are not robots. And these are hockey players, especially ones who previously played in Belarus leagues etc. where nobody gave ***** about them and now they're in the spotlight playing for Dinamo. They are not actors, singers, politicians etc. who are supposed to be in the public's eye all the time and look at many celebrities who have gone wacko just because they can't handle ''the haters''.

Doesn't mean that players can't be criticized but honestly most of the world's hockey fans are dumb and not only hockey fans. Most of the world's population is dumb and therefore the same applies to any group of people.

DrStrangelife

Dec 14, 2011
Rīga
It's not pathetic, people are not robots. And these are hockey players, especially ones who previously played in Belarus leagues etc. where nobody gave ***** about them and now they're in the spotlight playing for Dinamo. They are not actors, singers, politicians etc. who are supposed to be in the public's eye all the time and look at many celebrities who have gone wacko just because they can't handle ''the haters''.

Doesn't mean that players can't be criticized but honestly most of the world's hockey fans are dumb and not only hockey fans. Most of the world's population is dumb and therefore the same applies to any group of people.

Yes, our poor players that were dragged down to DR by force, forced to play in front of a big crowd and not only that but also the fans criticized those poor souls. :sarcasm:

I'm sorry but they chose to be ice-hockey players(!), they chose to earn their living by playing hockey (!) and they chose to play for DR!
Your saying it as if it wasn't their dream to play in front of a bigger crowd and become more famous than they've ever been while playing in Belarus leagues. :dunno:

And of course that ice-hockey players belong in the same spotlight with singers, politicians etc. The only reason they are playing ice-hockey in Latvia, is because Latvians love ice-hockey, and ice-hockey is regularly in the spotlight in our country( It's very popular).

And also, because there are stupid people in the world, wouldn't it mean that our players shouldn't take much notice to most criticism they get anyways? If Cipulis reads the comments made in sportacentrs.lv after each game he plays, and therefore gets upset, it's purely his own stupidity and fault. If this were to be true, then that is Pathetic.

What I found more pathetic is purely the fact that he also complained about it. He really believed his comments will change anything?? :shakehead

Good criticism must remain but bad criticism will remain anyways (no matter what). :dunno:

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
The only reason they are playing ice-hockey in Latvia, is because Latvians love ice-hockey, and ice-hockey is regularly in the spotlight in our country( It's very popular).

Generally agree with the whole post, but this part is the essence of it. They are what they are just because of us, fans in the first place.

Also overall feeling is that we are negative, but just imagine what would happen if we lucked out a QF win WC's? They'd get monuments and state congratulations, every each one of them. And I'm not even talking about actual success or medals as such.

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
Also overall feeling is that we are negative, but just imagine what would happen if we lucked out a QF win WC's? They'd get monuments and state congratulations, every each one of them. And I'm not even talking about actual success or medals as such.

Yeah but it would be so for about 2 days, while Cipulis is ''tortured'' the whole season :laugh::laugh: I remember the euphoria in EURO 04 when we played 0:0 vs Germany and then, up till the game vs Netherlands everybody was like you say... then we lost to Dutch 0:3 and there was nobody to meet the team in the airport when it returned home :shakehead

The fact is- positive comments would pour in for a day or two, maybe a week. Negative ones will be dragged out for the whole season or maybe even the whole career of a player.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Yeah but it would be so for about 2 days, while Cipulis is ''tortured'' the whole season :laugh::laugh: I remember the euphoria in EURO 04 when we played 0:0 vs Germany and then, up till the game vs Netherlands everybody was like you say... then we lost to Dutch 0:3 and there was nobody to meet the team in the airport when it returned home :shakehead

The fact is- positive comments would pour in for a day or two, maybe a week. Negative ones will be dragged out for the whole season or maybe even the whole career of a player.

Really sounds like Latvian fans gets carried away too fast and then are overwhelmed by disappointment which then leads to frustration over the players disability to produce miracles every time!

That people didn't cheer for the Latvian team after Euro2004 comes a real shock to me. It is one of the biggest surprises in Euro history that they even qualified and everyone expected them to be massacred and they actually scored a goal and got a point.

You could wait an entire lifetime and never see Latvia qualify again.

So is Verpakovskis a hero for scoring in the Euro2004 or is it as you say there is often a fanbased long-time disappointment after 1-2 day of euphoria???

ozo

Feb 24, 2010

That is how the world works - 'what have you done for me lately" mentality. I don't know why we consider us unique when we bash some athlete for severe underperfoming? One "swan" is a perfect example of late...

If you would read forums here more, you would easily see that every individual team fanbase picks a scapegoat. It's sooooo in a nature of a human, it's not worth even thinking much a bout it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad