A letter from Louis Leblanc (in french)

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Please translate if you have the time....I don't. But some great infos in there. Great to hear that when Bergie is in Boston, he still contact Louis for a drink. And it's pretty CLEAR that Lefebvre did what he could to destroy Leblanc...at least through Leblanc's eyes. And maybe, just maybe, Leblanc's time in the NHL is far from being over.....in another capacity. Seems to be aiming for a GM job at one point. Anyway, here is the article.

Louis Leblanc - Lettre à mes dénigreurs | ICI Radio-Canada.ca

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
Great article its a tough league and confidence is very important. He still wonders if he shouldnt have stayed in Harvard instead of playing in the Q. He would still like to be drafted by the habs if he had the choice.

Reactions: DAChampion

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
On that note, I do enjoy these articles as it really humanizes the players and makes you remember they are just regular people as well.

Also nice to see his life post-hockey is in order and his head seems to be in a good place. He could be really bitter but he chooses not to which I admire.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
i remember when he was coming up, a lot of people here (and i guess on the team) wanted him to transfer from harvard to montreal juniors, and one of the justifications was "Well, if he busts he can always go back to harvard and finish his econ degree", and it seems that his best decision as a pro was to take that first year at harvard, since it seems like he's a fit for an admin job. either way, for a 25 year old retiree who got jerked around by the organization, he's got a hell of a positive attitude, and I hope the canadiens find a job for him soon. didn't know he was already coaching at harvard though.

I did hear the arrogant thing about him though, from people who payed hockey with him back in the west island; that isn't the impression I got here.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Sylvain Lefebvre might be the worst coach in the history of the Habs/minor circuit.

Jesus.
And Bergevin extended his contract.
No first round picks panned out under Lefebvre.
The players who did make it- Galchenyuk (never played for him)
Gallagher (36 games)
Lehkonen (trained and developed in Finland)
Andrighetto (marginal NHLer)
Hudon (marginal NHLer)

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
And Bergevin extended his contract.
No first round picks panned out under Lefebvre.
The players who did make it- Galchenyuk (never played for him)
Gallagher (36 games)
Lehkonen (trained and developed in Finland)
Andrighetto (marginal NHLer)
Hudon (marginal NHLer)
Yup; ZERO developmental skills. None. And Leblanc confirms the acrimonious nature of the person. Just a great combo.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
Reading the letter, it strikes me that LeBlanc still does not quite realize that he did not have it, that he was just not good enough to be a NHL player. He played in the NHL at 20, and he probably thought that he deserved to be there like many heralded young prospects. However, the organization rightly saw that this was not the case, and they decided to treat him like any other prospect in the organzization and let him earn a future call-up. It must have felt unjust for LeBlanc because all his hockey life he was the chosen one, but it was the right thing to do because he just was not as good as he thought he was. Lefebvre was probably tough but fair with him, and LeBlanc folded under the new reality.

I think LeBlanc busting is not that surprising. As an athlete, he looked very underwhelming. He was not really fast, nor strong. I don't remember him tearing the QMJHL at 19. I think he was probably a player that peaked early (Midget level) because of his smarts on the ice, but when the competition got more intense, his athleticism (or lack of) resulted in his demise. Also, I don't thing he was willing to "fight" for it. Average players like him only make it out of the large pool if they give it everything, and LeBlanc was not that guy.

He was just a bad pick. I think Timmins was on the fence with him and Kreider, and picked the wrong one. It happens to all scouts. I agree with Louis that it's time for people to move on.

Last edited:

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
i remember when he was coming up, a lot of people here (and i guess on the team) wanted him to transfer from harvard to montreal juniors, and one of the justifications was "Well, if he busts he can always go back to harvard and finish his econ degree", and it seems that his best decision as a pro was to take that first year at harvard, since it seems like he's a fit for an admin job. either way, for a 25 year old retiree who got jerked around by the organization, he's got a hell of a positive attitude, and I hope the canadiens find a job for him soon. didn't know he was already coaching at harvard though.

I did hear the arrogant thing about him though, from people who payed hockey with him back in the west island; that isn't the impression I got here.

There's a fine line between confident and cocky. A confident person can be misconstrued as arrogant.

PK, for example. Confident or arrogant?

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Reading the letter, it strikes me that LeBlanc still does not quite realize that he did not have it, that he was just not good enough to be a NHL player. He played in the NHL at 20, and he probably thought that he deserved to be there like many heralded young prospects. However, the organization rightly saw that this was not the case, and they decided to treat him like any other prospect in the organzization and let him earn a future call-up. It must have felt unjust for LeBlanc because all his hockey life he was the chosen one, but it was the right thing to do because he just was not as good as he thought he was. Lefebvre was probably though but fair with him, and LeBlanc folded under the new reality.

I think LeBlanc busting is not that surprising. As an athlete, he looked very underwhelming. He was not really fast, nor strong. I don't remember him tearing the QMJHL at 19. I think he was probably a player that peaked early (Midget level) because of his smarts on the ice, but when the competition got more intense, his athleticism (or lack of) resulted in his demise. Also, I don't thing he was willing to "fight" for it. Average players like him only make it out of the large pool if they give it everything, and LeBlanc was not that guy.
I have no doubt that when he needed help to regain confidence and LEARN what was missing, Sly came in and lend him a hand. Or just throw him into a cul de sac situation while the team was tanking anyway.

Reactions: Fixxer

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Good for him if he's in a good place in his life now, nobody deserves to take crap forever because they didn't make it as a pro. The select few are very few indeed, it's just how it is. He wasn't the right guy at the right time and the right place, let's just leave it at that and move on.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
I have no doubt that when he needed help to regain confidence and LEARN what was missing, Sly came in and lend him a hand. Or just throw him into a cul de sac situation while the team was tanking anyway.

I think there is very little that Lefebvre or anybody else could have done for Louis. A nicer, more cuddly coach would not have made him a NHL player. Louis just did not have it.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
A very good read. We don't often hear about the stories of first round busts like this. He was definitely not handled well by the organization, but I'm sure he's more responsible for his lack of success than he's leading off.

This reminds me, I really need to read that Terry Ryan book I bought a few years ago.
We're obviously getting Leblanc's spin on events, but if he took the time to write it I'm sure there's plenty of truth, even if he glosses over his own ****.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Arrogant people usually dont know they're being arrogant though...
He's matured and had time to reflect, plus he wants to be a GM so he probably knows the NHL is a small world broken into mostly through connections. He ain't going to trash talk an organization now...if he did that...no way he ever makes it later into.

Its clear Sly messed him up though.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
silvain was a terrible coach, but LeBust has some responsibility in all of this. Timmins has already gone record in saying he was 'forced' into the pick because it was in montreal. could've had kreider - and in an alternate universe, no price injury and a SC appearance!

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Please translate if you have the time....I don't. But some great infos in there. Great to hear that when Bergie is in Boston, he still contact Louis for a drink. And it's pretty CLEAR that Lefebvre did what he could to destroy Leblanc...at least through Leblanc's eyes. And maybe, just maybe, Leblanc's time in the NHL is far from being over.....in another capacity. Seems to be aiming for a GM job at one point. Anyway, here is the article.

Louis Leblanc - Lettre à mes dénigreurs | ICI Radio-Canada.ca

How is that clear? The article barely discusses Lefebvre.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
silvain was a terrible coach, but LeBust has some responsibility in all of this. Timmins has already gone record in saying he was 'forced' into the pick because it was in montreal. could've had kreider - and in an alternate universe, no price injury and a SC appearance!

That's BS from Timmins. We know that he actually ranked Leblanc as the 9th best player of the draft, higher than other scouts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad