News Article: A Lesson in Patience | Jesse Puljujarvi

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I’m not a big per 60 guy. Production doesn’t just stay equal the more minutes you play. These small samples skew the numbers.
This is a very reasonable point. But one has to use what one has. What these numbers showed is that there is some evidence that given better opportunities Puljujarvi has had some success. 400+ minutes with McDavid for example is a decent sample size representing about one would expect over about 1/3 of a season. They don't prove that as a full time top 6 player he will achieve anything significant but at least they suggest that when playing with skill he is not a complete passenger.

Ultimately it is in the team's best interest that he succeeds.

GOilers88

Fer Da
Dec 24, 2016
How come nobody gives this kid the benefit of the doubt taking into consideration his double hip surgery? Is it not possible it was hampering him? Has anyone watched him skate? Could being a 19 year old foreign manchild with communication issues on both sides living in a new country while suffering from something serious enough to require double surgery maybe correlate with his development?

JP still gonna break out.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
no, Calgary did not.
Bennett has always been used in a 3rd line checking role.
And no, I don't see that JP was given top 6 minutes - only a few shifts on top line and right back to 3rd 4th line

Bennett got around 25-30 games on the 2nd line this year. He wasn’t awful but didn’t generate f*** all offensively.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
I'd like for the kid to pan out, but generally, prospects who break out later show something offensively, which we really haven't seen out of JP.

Pushing for the kid, but I think he's en route to bustville.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I will say this ... if he's back and he's still struggling with English and getting into situations like not being able to be on the PP because he can't understand what the coach wants ... it will be very telling.

Dude has had 4 years now to learn basic English, and while I know learning a new language is not easy ... 4 years ... c'mon. For a career that could yield him millions of dollars, he should be spending a lot of time learning and improving by now. Millions of people learn basic English every year without needing a huge paying career to motivate them.

I'm not sure what you are even talking about.

Jesse clearly knows enough English to communicate.

In this interview from last season he has no problems understanding and answering questions.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton

Hard to believe sometimes that this is the same player we drafted. Unlike Yak, he’s doing this against men. And when he went up against his kids his own age, he dominated and won MVP for the world juniors.

I still think he has potential and can be an impact player for us. It might take him some time to get there but trading him would be a mistake. Not everyone’s development is linear.

With him having his surgery on both hips, it’s tough imagining him taking a giant step forward but you never know I guess. I just think with Holland around and a new coach coming in, he can turn things around.

Reactions: McFlyingV

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
How come nobody gives this kid the benefit of the doubt taking into consideration his double hip surgery? Is it not possible it was hampering him? Has anyone watched him skate? Could being a 19 year old foreign manchild with communication issues on both sides living in a new country while suffering from something serious enough to require double surgery maybe correlate with his development?

JP still gonna break out.

Love it... want to believe.

Still concerned about his awkward puck handling. I hope if they work on rehabbing his skating that they get him into a stride that lowers his center of gravity and that then, they give him a shorter stick that he can actually control with some strength... I don't see him protecting the puck well enough when he's in tight (where he should be to make use of his size). When he's hunched over and actually using his size, his stick blade is about 400 feet from his body... tough to keep leverage on it and therefore win those puck battles, just based on physics. Maybe this worked for him with more open ice in EU, but I feel he needs to adjust some skating and stickhandling mechanics for the smaller rink <-- but I'm neither tall, nor a winger, so be interested if any other players see it that way.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Hard to believe sometimes that this is the same player we drafted. Unlike Yak, he’s doing this against men. And when he went up against his kids his own age, he dominated and won MVP for the world juniors.

I still think he has potential and can be an impact player for us. It might take him some time to get there but trading him would be a mistake. Not everyone’s development is linear.

With him having his surgery on both hips, it’s tough imagining him taking a giant step forward but you never know I guess. I just think with Holland around and a new coach coming in, he can turn things around.

You are right... doesn't look like the same player. Man, what a HUGE thing it would be for us, if he can reach 75% of his original potential playing his way up from the third line. Really hope we manage to find some wingers so we can play Nuge at #3C.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I honestly think we need to calculate the best time, and push him through waivers and pray he doesn't get claimed.

He needs a year in the minors. And I doubt another team will play him all 82 games next season.

Given his double hip surgery, can't we exercise a conditioning stint to get him there? What are the rules on that?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I honestly think we need to calculate the best time, and push him through waivers and pray he doesn't get claimed.

He needs a year in the minors. And I doubt another team will play him all 82 games next season.

This is just wrong.

There is not a single team that would pass on Puljujarvi if he hits waivers.

There are far more sign there is a nhl player in him than not.

I just don't see what his detractors do to even remotely think Puljujarvi is currently "that" bad. And moving forward, still tons of upside.

I hope he can reach even the bare majority of his top end potential with us rather than lose him.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This is just wrong.

I just don't see what his detractors do to even remotely think Puljujarvi is currently "that" bad. And moving forward, still tons of upside.

I hope he can reach even the bare majority of his top end potential with us rather than lose him.
I just hope we bring in a good 3c that can help mentor Pulju and help him become...something.

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017
This is just wrong.

Please help me out here. What signs?

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
This is just wrong.

This is just wrong.

He has a ton of flaws to his game..dating back to what Fleming said about him.

Then there's the weak board play, headscratching line changes, confusion on the ozone and those far too frequent WTF hot potato passes.

Calling someone a detractor b/c they recognize significant and concerning traits in his game that has him regressing is what's wrong

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
This is just wrong.

Then there's the weak board play, headscratching line changes, confusion on the ozone and those far too frequent WTF hot potato passes.

Calling someone a detractor b/c they recognize significant and concerning traits in his game that has him regressing is what's wrong
He is right that every team would pick him up off waivers though. Other than that I agree with you.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I get the concerns, but he still young and still has the physical tools to be an effective NHL player.

It's a damn shame that he wasn't able to play with Bakersfield during their playoff run, but hopefully his hips won't be giving him issues anymore.

With a new GM and new coach, there's no point in trading him for peanuts. Bringing in Val Filppula would be a good move as well.

It's the Oilers way to throw young players in the fire and give up on them when things go sideways, but I have a feeling that Ken Holland will have more patience and properly develop guys like Jesse.

He'll get signed to a reasonable, short term contract and have to prove himself, but trading him for like a mid round pick or some kind of role player is terrible asset management.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I get the concerns, but he still young and still has the physical tools to be an effective NHL player.

It's a damn shame that he wasn't able to play with Bakersfield during their playoff run, but hopefully his hips won't be giving him issues anymore.

With a new GM and new coach, there's no point in trading him for peanuts. Bringing in Val Filppula would be a good move as well.

It's the Oilers way to throw young players in the fire and give up on them when things go sideways, but I have a feeling that Ken Holland will have more patience and properly develop guys like Jesse.

He'll get signed to a reasonable, short term contract and have to prove himself, but trading him for like a mid round pick or some kind of role player is terrible asset management.

Edm is on Vals no go list if I recall.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
This is just wrong.

The weak board play I agree with... commented on it myself. I think it's an issue of mechanics with his size... he doesn't get low enough in his frame/legs and so his balance and strength on his stick aren't there.

The rest are absolutely classic issues of confidence, which may correct themselves if he gets some taste of success and support.

Val Filpula is just too good of an option to pass up. We must try it.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Think they should move on for both the team and the player. I'm not sure he has the brain for this, and this fishbowl is doing him no favors.

Wonder about Pulju as part of a deal for Nikolaj Ehlers. Laine and Puljujarvi have history, Puljujarvi would be very cheap on their cap and there's some small upside there for a complimentary top-six player. Have to think that, if they decide to move on from Ehlers for cap reasons, a draft pick+young roster player will be the deal.

Last edited:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
This is just wrong.

I'm actually a huge Puljujaarvi fan.

I just don't think he's going to be a good player for us, playing 5mins a night, while every second game he's watching from the pressbox.
The kid needs to play, and unfortunately the only situation where that will happen is in the AHL (which is unfortunately something we can't do without exposing him to waivers).

Puljujaarvi should be a case study in developmental stupidity.
This upcoming season SHOULD have been his NHL rookie season.

We blew his entire ELC on giving him limited minutes in hopes he magically figured it out on his own.

Even writing this makes me angry at how obtuse our management was about rushing prospects.

Reactions: Aerchon

yababy

Jun 26, 2015

I just don't think he's going to be a good player for us, playing 5mins a night, while every second game he's watching from the pressbox.
The kid needs to play, and unfortunately the only situation where that will happen is in the AHL (which is unfortunately something we can't do without exposing him to waivers).

We blew his entire ELC on giving him limited minutes in hopes he magically figured it out on his own.

Even writing this makes me angry at how obtuse our management was about rushing prospects.

Oilers should realize how vital it is that Puljujarvi pan out and park him on McDavids line for the year. It's the opposite of what they've been going

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Oilers should realize how vital it is that Puljujarvi pan out and park him on McDavids line for the year. It's the opposite of what they've been going

Having Jesse play on the first line against the best dmen in the world just isnt an option. Not only that he simply doesnt think the game at a high enough level to play with McDavid for an extended period of time.
He needs to learn basic positioning and how to read the play.

I like the Filppula idea if that is a realistic option. Vet mentoring would be a great idea for Jesse.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012

Here's a list of forwards drafted top 5 since 2000 that didn't play their rookie NHL season until they were 21 or older

Raffi Torres
Blake Wheeler
Benoit Pouliot
Michael Dal Colle

3 busts and a guy that wasn't ranked in the first round of his draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->