A job in hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

VINMONTY

Mar 13, 2002
Visit site
Hi
Now that my hockey career is over, I am very interested in finding a job in the hockey world. I believe I have excellent knowledge of the game and players. I know it is a hard industry to break into because you have to know people, but I was wondering if anyone knows how I could become a scout or involved with some job in hockey?

IkeaMonkey*

The only real job you can get "up" in without knowing people is coaching. Applying, winning and gaining a good resume and working your way up the ranks. Scouting and other executive work is all about who ya know.

Icer

Oct 15, 2004
If you want to coach, the first thing you'll need is certification. In Michigan you'll need level at least level 2 certification to coach peewee. Here is a chart. Most rinks will be able to tell you when and where you can take clinics for your coaching cards. Starting pay is low or nonexistent. You'll have to work your way up to AAA or higher before you can possibly earn a living wage.

If you want a front office job with a pro team, try contacting your local minor league affiliate. The Grand Rapids Griffins have an internship program to get your foot in the door. I would think most pro teams have something similar. I know a few people have moved up from these jobs into actual paid positions with the Griffins.

Good luck...

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
While my Hockey career only lasted till i was 18 (though im going to join some adult league when im 21)..i went onto becoming a hockey referee. It is A LOT of fun and I look foward to every game I have (cept if its a little Mite/Atom game ;) ) Its a great way to stay in contact with the hockey world.

canadahockeygirl*

You've got to sleep your way to the top.

It depends on which level you want to get involved at. If you're talking NHL/pro, most of the scouts I know have played professionally. College and HS was pretty much the same, don't know much about other minor leagues.

I do know for a fact that some of the womens'/girls' hockey leagues in MA are desperate for good coaches... if you just want to get involved in hockey, that may be a good way to go.

usmhuskies

VINMONTY said:
Hi
Now that my hockey career is over, I am very interested in finding a job in the hockey world. I believe I have excellent knowledge of the game and players. I know it is a hard industry to break into because you have to know people, but I was wondering if anyone knows how I could become a scout or involved with some job in hockey?

Another idea to get started is to become an off-ice offical...I am an off-ice offical for 4 local high school hockey teams and also a Division III hockey program(Southern Maine also involed with all the stats for the team) and before that I was one for the Portland Pirates(AHL) back 95-97...It's a great way, to stay involed in the game, stay close to the action and players/coaches/refs...I am also looking foward next year to coaching a local High School hockey team...I have also looked @ players for some people and recommed where they should go ie prep, right into college or just hang them up...I have also found some dimonds in the roughs like a kid that i was playing Men's league against last fall, told him he should go play in college(he transfred to this college for the 2nd semester) and now he is a top 4 D man on a college team...

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
VINMONTY said:
Hi

You should get a subscription to The Hockey Business News, it's made by the same people that brought all of us The Hockey News but it's focused entirely on the business end of the sport and is mainly directed towards people such as agents, GM's, front office members, etc. You'll learn a lot from it.

But like most everyone else said, you've got to have a lot of connections to get a job at the NHL level. A friend of mine played college baseball and was drafted by the Colorado Rockies (never made it to the big leagues though) and after his ~4 year career in the minors was over the Rockies brought him back into the organization as a low level scout traveling all around the world (mostly South America) trying to find the next Albert Pujols or Carlos Delgado. If you're a low level scout and you scout a player that your team signs based on your information and your opinions and that player turns into something special, you've got it made.

I'm not sure about how it works in the NHL, but i'm sure it's very similar, getting the job in the first place is probably the toughest part about it.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Accord said:
You should get a subscription to The Hockey Business News, it's made by the same people that brought all of us The Hockey News but it's focused entirely on the business end of the sport and is mainly directed towards people such as agents, GM's, front office members, etc. You'll learn a lot from it.

But like most everyone else said, you've got to have a lot of connections to get a job at the NHL level. A friend of mine played college baseball and was drafted by the Colorado Rockies (never made it to the big leagues though) and after his ~4 year career in the minors was over the Rockies brought him back into the organization as a low level scout traveling all around the world (mostly South America) trying to find the next Albert Pujols or Carlos Delgado. If you're a low level scout and you scout a player that your team signs based on your information and your opinions and that player turns into something special, you've got it made.

I'm not sure about how it works in the NHL, but i'm sure it's very similar, getting the job in the first place is probably the toughest part about it.

Im really interested in purchasing that, where do you go to get a subscription if you dont mind me asking.

acr*

I'm also interested in a career in hockey, I got accepted to a school with a great Sport Management program, and it's only a couple minutes from Manchester, so I could get an internship with the Monarchs and see how far it takes me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->