A.J. Thelen

Status
Not open for further replies.

db23

I would take him ahead of Barker. No disrespect to Barker. Based on several players who have gone from the NCAA to the WHL, 1 point in the NCAA is worth a point and a half at least in the W. So, Thelen would probably have averaged about 1.25 PPG in the W. Barker averaged just under 1 PPG. They are nearly identically sized and the same age. I think that Thelen will be slightly better offensively, slightly better defensively, and is smarter.

Sammy*

db23 said:
I would take him ahead of Barker. No disrespect to Barker. Based on several players who have gone from the NCAA to the WHL, 1 point in the NCAA is worth a point and a half at least in the W. So, Thelen would probably have averaged about 1.25 PPG in the W. Barker averaged just under 1 PPG. They are nearly identically sized and the same age. I think that Thelen will be slightly better offensively, slightly better defensively, and is smarter.
:shakehead :banghead: :joker:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Sammy said:

While I don't neccesarily agree with the mathmetical equation that was used for him to suggest Thelen is better than Barker, it's not crazy to think that's the case. Thelen has been skyrocketing up the charts, and can very possibly be considered the best defensive prospect in this draft.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
HighlyRegardedRookie said:
The guy said something that bucks conventional wisdom. No counterpoint is necessary. Duh.
I think the problem is that the argument he used is extremely flawed. He compares total points in college to total points in the WHL, then uses that to calculate points per game for Thelen. For instance, at 1.25 ppg, if he played a full season Thelen would have led all players, not just defensemen, in scoring. Secondly, players that go from NCAA to WHL are also a year older when they enter the WHL, and therefore should improve their point totals. If the argument were simply "I have seen them both play and Thelen's xxxxx skills impressed me more than Barker's" I doubt he would have gotten the same reaction.

Sammy*

Rabid Ranger said:
While I don't neccesarily agree with the mathmetical equation that was used for him to suggest Thelen is better than Barker, it's not crazy to think that's the case. Thelen has been skyrocketing up the charts, and can very possibly be considered the best defensive prospect in this draft.
The point is that he uses points every time , virtually to the exclusion of all else (oh, he reeealy like a guys birthdate too), to ascertain a guys worth & draft position.
As anyone with a clue (obviously not db) there is waaaaay more that goes into it.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Chuckalinsky said:
Just looking for some info on the guy. Is he a top flight D-man? Offensive abilities? How does he compare with Barker?

Yes he's a top flight, and either #1 or #2 defensemen in the draft, imo. He has a good shot seems hard but accurate. Makes good passes, skates well, has good speed. He's solid in his own end, will play phyiscal and from what I've seen he has a small edge to his game as well. At 17 he'll still get even bigger, as he's got a solid frame. His 41 points as a freshmen defensemen and the 2nd youngest player in the NCAA, are extremely impressive to me personally. If I were a GM I'd take Thelen over any defensemen for the reasons I just stated.

To be fair to Barker, I've seen less of him, but one scout I talked with did say something about Barker's hip in that he's slow to turn with his hips, leaving him exposed to faster forwards breaking down the wing. not a problem in the WHL but beyond could be. He did say that Seabrook had the same problem last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad