OT: A impossible question to answer....

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I'm just curious, but how many oiler fans are there in the world?
I know its an impossible to really find out, but please humor me and give me your best guesstimate please.

And how much did our fanbase increase since 2005-2006?

I would say 2 million fans world wide....and probably a 15% increase since 2006.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Should say about 70 million, the chinese state television accidently showed the chicago game last year instead of a ping pong contest, so suddenly oilers got about 68 million new fans. There are now 1557 sam gagner fan clubs in beejing and they expect that about 785 365 boys are getting sam as their first name this year.

mick14731

Sep 18, 2012
Steep

I know its an impossible to really find out, but please humor me and give me your best guesstimate please.

I would say 2 million fans world wide....and probably a 15% increase since 2006.

2 million sounds steep. Alberta has ~3.6 m people, ~60% live in the south so if they are a fan of hockey at all its probably the flames. That leaves ~1.4m in Oilers territory. Lets be generous and say 75% of people are fans in northern alberta. Thats ~1m fans. I don't think there are that many fans outside of northern alberta. It would be like having half the people born in alberta moving.
*i have 0 basis for my assertions.

CSimpson18

Nov 26, 2009
I live in southern Saskatchewan and about half my friends are big oiler fans. The diaspora is strong and fairly rabid around here.

No idea on actual numbers though.

Chooch

Nov 4, 2006
Edmonton

facebook likes will give you an idea.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
2 million sounds steep. Alberta has ~3.6 m people, ~60% live in the south so if they are a fan of hockey at all its probably the flames. That leaves ~1.4m in Oilers territory. Lets be generous and say 75% of people are fans in northern alberta. Thats ~1m fans. I don't think there are that many fans outside of northern alberta. It would be like having half the people born in alberta moving.

Gretzky.

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
Surprisingly there is a good number of Oilers fans born and raised in Southern Ontario. In fact, Western Ontario produces a good chunk of Oilers fans. The Gretzky days sure helped build our fan base.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I live in southern Saskatchewan and about half my friends are big oiler fans. The diaspora is strong and fairly rabid around here.

No idea on actual numbers though.

Hazard a guess....just what number pops into your head XD

Surprisingly there is a good number of Oilers fans born and raised in Southern Ontario. In fact, Western Ontario produces a good chunk of Oilers fans. The Gretzky days sure helped build our fan base.

Thats really surprising for some reason and yet its awesome to hear. What would be your best guess. Would you say about 500,000 people in Ontario are oiler fans?

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Should say about 70 million, the chinese state television accidently showed the chicago game last year instead of a ping pong contest, so suddenly oilers got about 68 million new fans. There are now 1557 sam gagner fan clubs in beejing and they expect that about 785 365 boys are getting sam as their first name this year.

your train of thought amuses me :D

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton

totally see where your coming from and 1 million is pretty awesome, but don't forget Saskatchewan, they seem to produce a ton of oiler fans

Markable89

May 6, 2010
Torotno

As an Oilers fan in Calgary I think suggesting people in the southern half of the province are Flames fans is wrong. Of course there is more Flames fans but there is a very large amount of Oilers fans, I wouldn't be surprised if 25-35% of southern Alberta supports them. Its to the point I don't need to mention I'm an Oilers fan because it seems every second person I talk to is. It is worth noting that the demographic that's 30+ seems to be the most likely to support the Oilers. Younger southern Albertans are much more likely to cheer for the Flames. Looking at past successes and recent failures explains that pretty well imo.

This is all very anecdotal but having grown up in Northern Alberta, I can guarantee the same *nearly* universal support doesn't exist like you witness in the north.

oiLowe

Jan 14, 2009
Calgree
As an Oilers fan in Calgary I think suggesting people in the southern half of the province are Flames fans is wrong. Of course there is more Flames fans but there is a very large amount of Oilers fans, I wouldn't be surprised if 25-35% of southern Alberta supports them. Its to the point I don't need to mention I'm an Oilers fan because it seems every second person I talk to is. It is worth noting that the demographic that's 30+ seems to be the most likely to support the Oilers. Younger southern Albertans are much more likely to cheer for the Flames. Looking at past successes and recent failures explains that pretty well imo.

This is all very anecdotal but having grown up in Northern Alberta, I can guarantee the same *nearly* universal support doesn't exist like you witness in the north.

This. I play for two hockey teams here in Calgary and both teams I play on actually have more Oilers fans than flames fans.

Also, towns in southern Alberta like Med Hat and Lethbridge are largely Oiler fans.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
This. I play for two hockey teams here in Calgary and both teams I play on actually have more Oilers fans than flames fans.

Also, towns in southern Alberta like Med Hat and Lethbridge are largely Oiler fans.

this.

I was stunned when I went to Medicine Hat of how many Oiler fans were there...I was expecting all Flames, but it was about 50-50

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Gotta look at some of the small regions that some of the players over the years have come from as well. Look at the area around Langenburg SK. Kelly Buchberger is from there, 90% of the small towns are Oiler fans because of it (Spy Hill being the exception, they are Sharks fans cuz of Odgers). I'm sure there are many towns, and small regions around that are also like this.

Add in our European fans, I've once heard that we are the most popular NHL team in Finland, so I would probably throw a number of around 3-4 million fans.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Same with northern BC. You get more Oiler and Leaf fans than Canuck fans

Depends on where you go, when I was a kid I lived in a couple of smaller towns in Northern BC and I was usually the only Oilers fan out of all my classmates. There were like 50 Canucks fans, me and then some kid who was a Leafs fan because his uncle was Peter Zezel.

Aceonfire*

They did a poll in Saskatoon recently. It wasn't exactly one sided but based on who they asked it seemed that the Oilers were the most popular team there.

Regina is very pro Oilers because of Eberle and what he does for the community.

As the Oilers start to play better, their fan base will grow because bandwagoners will jump ship from other teams.

Billy Barou

Mar 4, 2011
I must concur with the posters above. Grew up in south SK and everyone was an Oiler fan. I lived in the Okanagan for awhile and I was also amazed at the number of Oiler fans - equal to Canuck fans for sure. Probably has a lot to do with the sheer number of imports living there!

If the Oilers can become competitive the fan base will explode.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
So its not out of the question that we may have around 4 million fans eh? Its really nice to here that the fandom is striving in areas you wouldn't suspect.

And europe? Easy couple hundred thousand?

Its awesome to hear finland has a majority of oiler fans XD :handclap:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
There's a hefty Oilers section at Habs games last year.

Most of Scotia Bank place was a sea of Copper n Blue when the Oilers faced the Sens (I go to that too).

It was populous enough for the arena to start chanting 'GO OILERS GO' in Ottawa.
Ottawa radio station went nuts, they were irate with the Sens fans for not showing up.

Quinteoilers

Jan 7, 2012
Hazard a guess....just what number pops into your head XD

Thats really surprising for some reason and yet its awesome to hear. What would be your best guess. Would you say about 500,000 people in Ontario are oiler fans?

I live in Eastern Ontario (between Kingston and Belleville). There are quite a few "old guard" fans myself included. But I have noticed quite a few Oiler hats on young kids (12 and under). I think Eberle's world jr. Heroics and Taylor Hall have boosted the Oilers profile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->