Boston Bruins Rene Rancourt

SPB2776

Jun 4, 2009
Rene is a Boston institution. Like turning left in front of someone just as the light turns green without your blinker on. His act wouldn't fly in a lot of places, probably, but he's a legend here. Next season won't be the same

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Rene is a Boston institution. Like turning left in front of someone just as the light turns green without your blinker on. His act wouldn't fly in a lot of places, probably, but he's a legend here. Next season won't be the same

Rene mentions that his big break came when the singer who was supposed to sing the anthem for Game 6 of the 1975 World Series became ill and John Kiley recommended Rene.

The singer who became ill? A year earlier she was despised by Bruins fans.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I love Rene and will miss him.

This clip from 1985 captures Rene at his best and I remember the telecast well. It shows STH John Wood from Melrose proudly waving the US flag. Wood was banned from the Garden when he waved the Quebec flag during a game with the Nords while O Canada was sung by Harry who can be seen in this clip behind the bench after he fired Cheevers.

This telecast was on national cable on the USA Network and a representative of the disgraced former Mayor of Providence offered $500 cash to a cameraman that would put the disgraced Mayor on national TV during the anthem :wg: Forgive me @BMC

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
In his prime he was terrific to watch/listen to. He never had amazing pipes but for this fan, it was more about the fist pumps after the anthem I always looked forward to. Thx for everything good Sir

Reactions: GahdenRinkRat

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
As an outsider, he comes off as so lame. So much so that I enjoy him ironically.

But there's no getting around the fact that he's really part of the fabric of the game/Bruins.

Congratulations on a great career Rene.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
This clip from 1985 captures Rene at his best and I remember the telecast well. It shows STH John Wood from Melrose proudly waving the US flag. Wood was banned from the Garden when he waved the Quebec flag during a game with the Nords while O Canada was sung by Harry who can be seen in this clip behind the bench after he fired Cheevers.

This telecast was on national cable on the USA Network and a representative of the disgraced former Mayor of Providence offered $500 cash to a cameraman that would put the disgraced Mayor on national TV during the anthem :wg: Forgive me @BMC

Hahaha it sounds like something Buddy Cianci would do. No need to ask for forgiveness Fenway, I'm a lifetime resident of CT :D

Bearclaw

Jul 25, 2013
California
I went to the B’s/Blackhawks game in March (for my only game this year) and was disappointed that we missed him, but I’ve seen him on multiple occasions and he really was a part of the live gameday experience for me.

Great career, Rene. You (and your fist pumps) will be greatly missed.

EvilElf63

Mar 27, 2012
Catskills
Rene.jpg

Here's one of the first pictures of me that I still have. Guess what I'm doing. :laugh:

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
Rene will be missed - he’s a piece of Bruins history.

Big shoes to fill here. Hopefully the follow-up act will have the same type of presence and longevity to build their own new legend and lore - really hoping they don’t go for some boring act with no flavor.

Thank you Rene for all of your charitable contributions that you brought to the community.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->