A glimpse into Orr's knee

Stonefly

Jan 29, 2007
If you ever wondered how bad Orr's knee was, here's an interesting look at it. i hadn't seen this before so I thought I'd share it for those in the same boat.
One of the greatest hockey tragedies. Orr having to retire at 30, his career essentially over at 27. We don't even know if we saw him in his prime. If only we had the technology then that we do now. Look at the size of the scars! Today they would be tiny little incisions. Tragic I say. Tragic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R07bkNod7Yk&mode=related&search=

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Thanks,if he had played 10 more years another generation of fans would have known true ice hockey greatness!

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
I was gonna post this elsewhere, but I found out the surgeon who recently did work on my left knee (ACL replacement, as well as MCL tear, and tears to both menisci) did the 13th knee surgery on Orr.

We got to talking about hockey on the first follow up visit after my surgery, and turns out he was the team doctor for the Bruins at one point during the 70s. Had a lot of stories to tell about going to all the games. He told me that Orr suffered from bowed knees, which (doctor said) helped his skating, but also caused them to break down so fast.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
I was gonna post this elsewhere, but I found out the surgeon who recently did work on my left knee (ACL replacement, as well as MCL tear, and tears to both menisci) did the 13th knee surgery on Orr.

We got to talking about hockey on the first follow up visit after my surgery, and turns out he was the team doctor for the Bruins at one point during the 70s. Had a lot of stories to tell about going to all the games. He told me that Orr suffered from bowed knees, which (doctor said) helped his skating, but also caused them to break down so fast.

I could be wrong, but doesn't Pavel Datsyuk have incredibly bowed knees? I thought I remember reading an article with Brett Hull back around 2002 where Hull talked about how awkward Datsyuk looked because he had bowed legs and his feet point outwards. I would imagine this helps him pull off that crazy toe-drag move.

The One Who Knocks

Jul 10, 2007
California
Terrible stuff. Amazing that he left such a big mark on hockey in such a short career. There will never be another Bobby Orr

This reminds me, didn't Mario Lemieux play most of his career with a bad back or leg? I was watching a special on him a few months back, and they said that he put up tremendous points while playing severely injured and that he just toughed it out. Mario had spinal disc herniation, Hodgkin's lymphoma, chronic tendinitis of a hip-flexor muscle, and atrial fibrillation, yet he scored almost as many points-per-game as Gretzky. Mike Bossy also had back problems throughout his shortened career

What could have been...

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

A lot of players have bow legs,take a look at Crosby. I don't know if it's developed by some through long hours of skating or they're born with it.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
A lot of players have bow legs,take a look at Crosby. I don't know if it's developed by some through long hours of skating or they're born with it.

Well his exact words were "extremely bowed legs". I don't know, only saying what I've been told.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad