GDT: A Gameday Thread, featuring CGY and COL, Generic Monahan Edition.

Did you get eight hours of sleep last night?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
It looks like MacKinnon says, "are you kidding? I've been doing my job all year" As he's coming back up from falling it looks like he says do your job.

This would make sense to the theory that Bednar first told MacKinnon to do his job, which prompted the reaction.

If Bednar did say that to MacKinnon, wow. Bednar is probably fired midway through last season if MacKinnon doesn't take the team on his back every night. I've liked Bednar's demeanour though for the most part, so hopefully this is nothing.
I'm seeing it the same way. Impossibly to know for sure unless you're Gabe Landeskog.

arun

Click here to hide this advertisement
Jun 23, 2016
Holland
Unable to “spark the team” to dominate the top two teams in the West 41-21 and 35-16 SOG? Or some other kind of spark, like play less hard but score more goals kind? I wouldn’t let the persona on the bench dictate “spark” which appears to still be there, IMO.
I was talking in general. Ive seen quite some games where he just does nothing. Last two games are great to select as we outshot teams but im looking at the era with bedsy so far.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I believe Bednar started the whole thing, probably said something to MacKinnon when the goalie was pulled and MacK didn't like it. If that's the case, why is Bednar even picking on MacK, how about saying something to your goalies who can't stop a beach ball, or how about saying something to players like Kerfoot or whoever else was counted on to produce secondary scoring because no one can finish worth a damn.

I know MacKinnon should try to control his emotions no matter what, but I blame this whole thing on Bednar and not MacK. He has been one of the best players in the league the last 2 years, and Bednar shouldn't criticize him for one play, whatever happened there with the goalie pulled

Last edited:

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
MacK has a temper. I’ve seen him throw his stick several times at practice this year. He’s definitely a competitive guy and that’s awesome but he’s got to learn to control it a little bit. Seeing him throw is stick after missing a shot in practice is a bit much.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

kchan9

Oct 7, 2010
Can't f with Nate Dawg. I rather he shows emotion than to look like the other bunch of losers on the bench

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I believe Bednar started the whole thing, probably said something to MacKinnon when the goalie was pulled and MacK didn't like it. If that's the case, why is Bednar even picking on MacK, how about saying something to your goalies who can't stop a beach ball, or how about saying something to players like Kerfoot or whoever else was counted on to produce secondary scoring because no one can finish worth a damn.

I know MacKinnon should try to control his emotions no matter what, but I blame this whole thing on Bednar and not MacK. He has been one of the best players in the league the last 2 years, and Bednar shouldn't criticize him for one play, whatever happened there with the goalie pulled
Being one of the best player in the league (even the best for that matter) does not give him the right to lash out at his coach. You have to respect the coach. I'm sure he wouldn't like to be yelled at on the bench so it goes both ways. The only thing this outburst accomplishes is it embarrasses the coach and it looks bad on the player. Look at Landy and Jost for proof. If it would be OK Landy wouldn't be trying to stop him and Jost looks so embarrass beside him. With a little longer in the league and maybe a little bit better season I'm sure Jost would have said something to him as well. Just not a good look for Mack there. It's OK to have emotions but he needs to control them much better.

Reactions: BleedWell

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Being one of the best player in the league (even the best for that matter) does not give him the right to lash out at his coach. You have to respect the coach. I'm sure he wouldn't like to be yelled at on the bench so it goes both ways. The only thing this outburst accomplishes is it embarrasses the coach and it looks bad on the player. Look at Landy and Jost for proof. If it would be OK Landy wouldn't be trying to stop him and Jost looks so embarrass beside him. With a little longer in the league and maybe a little bit better season I'm sure Jost would have said something to him as well. Just not a good look for Mack there. It's OK to have emotions but he needs to control them much better.
I get all that but why is Bednar picking on MacKinnon to begin with? This team has been playing like shit for a while and Bednar decided to criticize MacK for whatever he did on one play with the goalie pulled?

Like I said, even though MacK should have controlled his emotions better, the whole thing was started by Bednar. MacKinnon along with Mikko and Landy have been the only consitensy all year for this team, the coach should perhaps criticize the others who aren't doing their job, like the goalies and secondary scorers that they dont have

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Can't f with Nate Dawg. I rather he shows emotion than to look like the other bunch of losers on the bench

It's so good to see MacK pissed off like that, tired of losing... It reminds me of Duchene celebrating his 30th goal with his team down 4-0. Glad that loser is gone.

Reactions: Foppberg and klozge

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I get all that but why is Bednar picking on MacKinnon to begin with? This team has been playing like **** for a while and Bednar decided to criticize MacK for whatever he did on one play with the goalie pulled?

Like I said, even though MacK should have controlled his emotions better, the whole thing was started by Bednar. MacKinnon along with Mikko and Landy have been the only consitensy all year for this team, the coach should perhaps criticize the others who aren't doing their job, like the goalies and secondary scorers that they dont have
How do you Bednar started this whole thing. You are just speculating. Even if he did say something first to Mack Bednar didn't lash out at him. It is probably more accurate to say Mack made a comment coming back to the bench and Bednar replied to him and angered Mack even more. Nobody knows really what happened.

I'm glad Mack is coming out with an apology and recognizes his mistake. This is being blown out of proportion.

Reactions: James G

Tike Myson

Jan 1, 2019
USA
Lizard people do exist
They are amongst us

Attachments

• F4E72891-C08B-4E8A-8251-E5494DC244C6.jpeg
    F4E72891-C08B-4E8A-8251-E5494DC244C6.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 21

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Meh, I still say Bednar should have apologized to MacKinnon because without MacK this team is in dead last place and Bednar wouldn't have a job much longer

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Mack is now in Montreal of all places.

Dater:

"MONTREAL – If there is one city in the NHL where the glare of the media is still white hot, especially when anything controversial happens, it’s Montreal. Absolutely nothing goes unnoticed here when it comes to the NHL, even if it happened way across the vast Canadian landscape, as Nathan MacKinnon’s outburst toward his coach was on the bench the other night, in Calgary.

A media horde standing roughly four deep encircled MacKinnon’s locker after Avalanche practice here Friday, curious how the star center would respond, two days after he was caught on camera barking at coach Jared Bednar at the end of a 5-3 loss."

Reactions: CobraAcesS

James G

Jan 1, 2018
I get all that but why is Bednar picking on MacKinnon to begin with? This team has been playing like **** for a while and Bednar decided to criticize MacK for whatever he did on one play with the goalie pulled?

You’ve either have access to an additional 3 camera angles and an undergrad in lip reading, or a vivid imagination to state the above as the facts of what happened. Heat of the moment. It’s over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->