GDT: A Gameday Thread, featuring CGY and COL, Generic Monahan Edition.

Discussion in 'Colorado Avalanche' started by Pokecheque, Jan 9, 2019.

?

Did you get eight hours of sleep last night?

Poll closed Jan 10, 2019.
  1. Yes

16.9%
  2. Of course! I'm a growing boy.

15.3%
  3. No, but I'll do better next time.

67.8%
  1. Waingro

Waingro Foppa2118

Good call. I take back what I said earlier about it not being clear. Not 100% but it does look like he says that. You missed the F bomb though. Looks like he says, "...doing my ****ing job all year..."

Still speculation on our part, and things have probably cooled over by now.

Avs71 likes this.
  2. The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer Registered User

All the users on here and not one person is a lip reader by trade. Sad.

3. Waingro

Waingro Foppa2118

I'm waiting for the bad lip reading version to come out. That should tell us what really happened.

4. Avs_19

Avs_19 Registered User

5. Pierce Hawthorne

Pierce Hawthorne Formerly Avsare1

Sounds about right. I was curious about the decision to put Varly back in the net with just 35 seconds left still down 1 as well. Bednar plays those situations a little too passive and especially with the Avs being better on the faceoff dot I think a better play would have been to have 6 guys on the ice right away.

But yeah, there was frustration from both Mack and Rants all night and it probably does stem from the fact we just dominated the two best teams in the west, literally outshooting them by 75+ attempts in b2b nights, and lose both games by 2+ goals.

On top of a 4-10-3 last 17 games and the frustration boiled over.
    I expect us to come out and dominate Montreal on Saturday.

MacBradley likes this.
  6. Waingro

Waingro Foppa2118

Sill speculation, but that's a very plausible description of what might have happened.

Nate gets frustrated and lashes out at Bednar for pulling the goalie. Bednar probably made some comment about how Nate should do his job and Bednar will worry about his. Then the camera picks up Nate reacting to Bednar and saying what looks to be, "Are you kidding? I've been doing my ****ing job all year. Do your job."

Then hopefully Nate realizes he overreacted and has a good talk with Bednar and things cool down.

7. Ceremony

Ceremony ______________

Home Page:
    Moser seemed to be expecting Varlamov to go to the bench sooner and so was I.

8. Waingro

Waingro Foppa2118

If you watch the play though, Bednar's giving Varly the hold sign off the face-off, then maybe waives him to the bench (hard to tell) but Barrie dumps the puck back into the zone to nobody and Varly has to play it. Then he hustles off ice.

If anything I wonder if Nate thought they should have pulled the goalie for the face-off at center with 37 seconds to go. Risky move though. Everything else aside from Barrie's pass to nobody played out how it should have.

If Varly hustled off ice without stopping, Backlund would have got to the puck before everyone else, and he would have had an easy EN goal.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  9. Ceremony

Ceremony ______________

Home Page:
    Hmm, I was thinking of earlier on, before we scored. If the incident stemmed from that hilarious Barrie drop pass it explains it a bit more, not telling the players that the goalie's being pulled once they're going up ice and leaving that play to happen seems a bit negligent.

10. Waingro

Waingro Foppa2118

I would think it would have to be that shift if anything, unless he was just pissed in general which is possible. They had just scored to pull within one the shift before.

I think Barrie played that like he had a D partner hanging back but Mikko was on the point and had started to move up ice. Either that or he thought Nate circled further behind him for some reason.

I'm still not sure about McKenzie's goalie pulled explanation, unless Nate was just being totally unreasonable. There's nothing there to be upset with. I feel like it's more likely he wasn't happy with the play they drew up but who knows.

11. the_fan

the_fan Registered User

The word is MacKinnon has requested a trade to Pittsburgh after all the drama. He wants to play with his best friend

12. Cousin Eddie

Cousin Eddie You Serious Clark?

[​IMG]

13. ibengals

ibengals "Is Roy Squinting?"

Times like this make me appreciate watching a smaller market team. It's absolutely ridiculous how much this has been blown out of proportion. If the Avs would've won the game, we wouldn't even be talking about this.

Avs win in Montreal, book it.

14. dahrougem2

dahrougem2 Registered User

If they come out and lose by 3+ again, we could be seeing Bednar canned sooner than later.

15. the_fan

the_fan Registered User

Bednar comes across as too much of a nice guy. I mean I'm not saying a coach should be a complete ass, but being too nice isn't that good either. There's gotta be balance for the coaches, not too nice not too mean

klozge likes this.
  16. DanishAvsfan

DanishAvsfan Registered User

That picture is just hilarious! It means so little, but it looks so dramatic.

17. James G

James G Registered User

Unable to “spark the team” to dominate the top two teams in the West 41-21 and 35-16 SOG? Or some other kind of spark, like play less hard but score more goals kind? I wouldn’t let the persona on the bench dictate “spark” which appears to still be there, IMO.

MacBradley likes this.
  18. the_fan

the_fan Registered User

Another funny part of this picture is the look on Bennett's face.

It's gone unnoticed but if you look closely Bennett is looking at MacKinnon with a weird stare

19. James G

James G Registered User

“MacK just sending a message that the team really needs a well established NHL coach”

You and have had this dance before regarding coaching, but your read/quote sounds pretty agressive to me. Like maybe Q could coach the Avs to triple the other teams shots on net, as opposed to only double + and complete domination of the top two teams in the west. Then we’d win for sure.

And I certainly don’t think that was MacK “sending a message”. I think it was a fired up competitor in the heat of the moment. IMO

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  20. the_fan

the_fan Registered User

Whether MacK is sending a message or not, clearly he's not happy with Bednar's coaching, otherwise he would not have expressed his feeling the way he did out in the open knowing that there are millions of people seeing that.

The team is losing frustrations are high, I get that, but did MacKinnon yell at Bednar couple of years ago when the team had historically bad season? Seems to me that he had enough of his coaching.

21. James G

James G Registered User

Once again, your opinion. Not mine. I honestly don’t believe MacK was thinking “I know ‘millions’ (lol) of people are watching, here’s my chance”. MacK’s a great competitor, and a great player. Heat of the moment IMO.....you seem to like the last word. I won’t respond. Agree to disagree yet again.

22. Ramleg85

Ramleg85 Registered User

Aerospace
    Man this Mack thing is all over the news but most places are missing the context and just making him out to be a spoiled diva

RareDangles likes this.
  23. the_fan

the_fan Registered User

Ok last thought on this....

I didnt say MacK knew people are watching so he yelled at Bednar on purpose, I'm saying there is obviously dislike towards Bednar otherwise no matter how pissed off MacK was he would hold his emotions. Losing streaks happen all the time, players dont yell at coaches everytime there is a losing streak

24. Pokecheque

Pokecheque armoredheadspace Sponsor

Wannabe Blogger
    Home Page:
    That's hardly surprising.

Foppberg likes this.
  25. The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer Registered User

Canadian sports media and maybe all media. Bunch of dorks with hemorrhoids.

S E P H and CobraAcesS like this.