GDT: A Gameday Thread, featuring CGY and COL, Generic Monahan Edition.

Did you get eight hours of sleep last night?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It looks like MacKinnon says, "are you kidding? I've been doing my job all year" As he's coming back up from falling it looks like he says do your job.

This would make sense to the theory that Bednar first told MacKinnon to do his job, which prompted the reaction.

If Bednar did say that to MacKinnon, wow. Bednar is probably fired midway through last season if MacKinnon doesn't take the team on his back every night. I've liked Bednar's demeanour though for the most part, so hopefully this is nothing.

Good call. I take back what I said earlier about it not being clear. Not 100% but it does look like he says that. You missed the F bomb though. Looks like he says, "...doing my f***ing job all year..."

Still speculation on our part, and things have probably cooled over by now.

Reactions: Avs71

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Sounds about right. I was curious about the decision to put Varly back in the net with just 35 seconds left still down 1 as well. Bednar plays those situations a little too passive and especially with the Avs being better on the faceoff dot I think a better play would have been to have 6 guys on the ice right away.

But yeah, there was frustration from both Mack and Rants all night and it probably does stem from the fact we just dominated the two best teams in the west, literally outshooting them by 75+ attempts in b2b nights, and lose both games by 2+ goals.

On top of a 4-10-3 last 17 games and the frustration boiled over.
I expect us to come out and dominate Montreal on Saturday.

Reactions: MacBradley

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
McKenzie says in the moment MacKinnon was mad at the deployment of the pulled goalie after they just scored to make it a one goal game but overall he's just frustrated with them playing well but not coming away with points. There isn't believed to be any underlying issue between the two of them that will linger.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider-trading-bobrovsky-s-fate-in-own-hands~1583658

Sill speculation, but that's a very plausible description of what might have happened.

Nate gets frustrated and lashes out at Bednar for pulling the goalie. Bednar probably made some comment about how Nate should do his job and Bednar will worry about his. Then the camera picks up Nate reacting to Bednar and saying what looks to be, "Are you kidding? I've been doing my f***ing job all year. Do your job."

Then hopefully Nate realizes he overreacted and has a good talk with Bednar and things cool down.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Moser seemed to be expecting Varlamov to go to the bench sooner and so was I.

If you watch the play though, Bednar's giving Varly the hold sign off the face-off, then maybe waives him to the bench (hard to tell) but Barrie dumps the puck back into the zone to nobody and Varly has to play it. Then he hustles off ice.

If anything I wonder if Nate thought they should have pulled the goalie for the face-off at center with 37 seconds to go. Risky move though. Everything else aside from Barrie's pass to nobody played out how it should have.

If Varly hustled off ice without stopping, Backlund would have got to the puck before everyone else, and he would have had an easy EN goal.

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
If you watch the play though, Bednar's giving Varly the hold sign off the face-off, then maybe waives him to the bench (hard to tell) but Barrie dumps the puck back into the zone to nobody and Varly has to play it. Then he hustles off ice.

If anything I wonder if Nate thought they should have pulled the goalie for the face-off at center with 37 seconds to go. Risky move though. Everything else aside from Barrie's pass to nobody played out how it should have.

If Varly hustled off ice without stopping, Backlund would have got to the puck before everyone else, and he would have had an easy EN goal.
Hmm, I was thinking of earlier on, before we scored. If the incident stemmed from that hilarious Barrie drop pass it explains it a bit more, not telling the players that the goalie's being pulled once they're going up ice and leaving that play to happen seems a bit negligent.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Hmm, I was thinking of earlier on, before we scored. If the incident stemmed from that hilarious Barrie drop pass it explains it a bit more, not telling the players that the goalie's being pulled once they're going up ice and leaving that play to happen seems a bit negligent.

I would think it would have to be that shift if anything, unless he was just pissed in general which is possible. They had just scored to pull within one the shift before.

I think Barrie played that like he had a D partner hanging back but Mikko was on the point and had started to move up ice. Either that or he thought Nate circled further behind him for some reason.

I'm still not sure about McKenzie's goalie pulled explanation, unless Nate was just being totally unreasonable. There's nothing there to be upset with. I feel like it's more likely he wasn't happy with the play they drew up but who knows.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The word is MacKinnon has requested a trade to Pittsburgh after all the drama. He wants to play with his best friend

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The word is MacKinnon has requested a trade to Pittsburgh after all the drama. He wants to play with his best friend
giphy.gif

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Times like this make me appreciate watching a smaller market team. It's absolutely ridiculous how much this has been blown out of proportion. If the Avs would've won the game, we wouldn't even be talking about this.

Avs win in Montreal, book it.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Bednar comes across as too much of a nice guy. I mean I'm not saying a coach should be a complete ass, but being too nice isn't that good either. There's gotta be balance for the coaches, not too nice not too mean

Reactions: klozge

James G

Jan 1, 2018
Bedsy is so even kill, it backfires i think. When we're hot, he stays calm and "realistic". When we're in a stretch like the current cold streak, he comes across clueless and seems unable to spark the team. Not sure how emosh he is/gets in the room, but I'd prefer someone with a bit more rage. Just a tad more would be great.

Unable to “spark the team” to dominate the top two teams in the West 41-21 and 35-16 SOG? Or some other kind of spark, like play less hard but score more goals kind? I wouldn’t let the persona on the bench dictate “spark” which appears to still be there, IMO.

Reactions: MacBradley

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
That picture is much better than anything I screencap from the Altitude broadcasts.

DwjbwaDWoAAww2N.jpg:large
Another funny part of this picture is the look on Bennett's face.

It's gone unnoticed but if you look closely Bennett is looking at MacKinnon with a weird stare

James G

Jan 1, 2018
MacKinnon didn't get along with Roy either when they had that altercation in practice. One would think MacK is the problem and he's just too passionate and when things are bad (as they are right now with the Avs) he snaps and goes off on coaches. Is that the case though, or does MacK wants a better coach?

Roy was an awful coach, Bednar not as bad as Roy, but he's not very good either. I think MMacK just sending a message that the team really needs a well established NHL coach. acK just sending a message that the team really needs a well established NHL coach. No more coaches from minor leagues or colleges. Just hire Q next year when the roster is different which it should be

“MacK just sending a message that the team really needs a well established NHL coach”

You and have had this dance before regarding coaching, but your read/quote sounds pretty agressive to me. Like maybe Q could coach the Avs to triple the other teams shots on net, as opposed to only double + and complete domination of the top two teams in the west. Then we’d win for sure.

And I certainly don’t think that was MacK “sending a message”. I think it was a fired up competitor in the heat of the moment. IMO

Last edited:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
“MacK just sending a message that the team really needs a well established NHL coach”

You and have had this dance before regarding coaching, but your read/quote sounds pretty agressive to me. Like maybe Q could coach the Avs to triple the other teams shots on net, as opposed to only double + and complete domination of the top two teams in the west. Then we’d win for sure.

And I certainly don’t think that was MacK “sending a message”. I think it was a fired up competitor in the heat of the moment. (I know you’ll probably respond, I won’t. Simply my opinion)
Whether MacK is sending a message or not, clearly he's not happy with Bednar's coaching, otherwise he would not have expressed his feeling the way he did out in the open knowing that there are millions of people seeing that.

The team is losing frustrations are high, I get that, but did MacKinnon yell at Bednar couple of years ago when the team had historically bad season? Seems to me that he had enough of his coaching.

James G

Jan 1, 2018
Once again, your opinion. Not mine. I honestly don’t believe MacK was thinking “I know ‘millions’ (lol) of people are watching, here’s my chance”. MacK’s a great competitor, and a great player. Heat of the moment IMO.....you seem to like the last word. I won’t respond. Agree to disagree yet again.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Once again, your opinion. Not mine. I honestly don’t believe MacK was thinking “I know ‘millions’ (lol) of people are watching, here’s my chance”. MacK’s a great competitor, and a great player. Heat of the moment IMO.....you seem to like the last word. I won’t respond. Agree to disagree yet again.
Ok last thought on this....

I didnt say MacK knew people are watching so he yelled at Bednar on purpose, I'm saying there is obviously dislike towards Bednar otherwise no matter how pissed off MacK was he would hold his emotions. Losing streaks happen all the time, players dont yell at coaches everytime there is a losing streak

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad