GDT: A game of utmost importance: Islanders vs Hurricanes 2/16/18

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Lol at any attempt to credit Francis for trying this past offseason. We needed a 1C and a starting goalie. We whiffed on a 4C and the goalie turned into an unmitigated disaster.

And I'm with Hank on the fancystats crap. We aren't unlucky, we just suck at picking our spots. Game after game after game we outshoot the opponent only to have a vast majority of those chances be unscreened shots at the chest logo. That's not unlucky, that's bad offense.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
And I'm with Hank on the fancystats crap. We aren't unlucky, we just suck at picking our spots. Game after game after game we outshoot the opponent only to have a vast majority of those chances be unscreened shots at the chest logo. That's not unlucky, that's bad offense.

If you try and get to the high danger areas, you might turn the puck over. That's why good hockey teams always pass it back to the point instead.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
If you try and get to the high danger areas, you might turn the puck over. That's why good hockey teams always pass it back to the point instead.
Well yes, naturally. This is why in a game like the one on Friday night there was more debate on whether Faulk or Hanifin screwed up that pass more than there was discussion about how we had 44 shots on goal versus a goalie with a GAA over 4.00 and got shut out.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Hockey is such an unpredictable game, it's a team game, and requires a ton of hockey IQ and athleticism to be special in this game. I'm with you all thinking the analytics just can't paint the picture of a team like baseball and is a bit overrated in hockey. While baseball is a team sport, that game can be broken down to a science and straight up numbers/odds. It's impossible to replicate the analytical success they have in baseball which is where I'm guessing this all started.

I'm sure there's some use for the analytics, but you definitely can't build your whole team in hopes that the fancystats lead you to success.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Francis was credited league wide for the off season he had. It didn’t work out as well as hoped so of course he’s accountable to some level but the vitriol being spewed around here is pretty misplaced. He’s done a good job overall. The only move this off season that I really didn’t like was Kruger, I watched him play a lot last season and was flat out unimpressed. Hawks fans for the most part were rejoicing which is typically not a great sign for a fourth liner. They were upset about Darling, and most people around the league said it was a shrewd move. I had also watched him play and wasn’t particularly impressed but there was so much good will around the league it seemed like it had to be a good move.

Williams and TVR have been exactly what we hoped they would be. Williams has been better offensively than I thought he could be for us, and clearly has a positive effect. Clowning Francis for the work he did when two of the 3 important moves were flat out good doesn’t add up. Kruger was always for depth and the fourth line.

Maybe all the deals were related and taking Kruger was always part of the cost of the other deals. If so, fair enough. Kruger wasn’t bad, he was just void. He didn’t cost us any games, so as a “bad” move it was pretty limited.

Darling is the only whiff. A potent one for sure, but there was always a question mark. He was brought in to hopefully supplant Ward and definitely stabilize the position. He hasn’t done either. If it had just become a capable back and forth pairing it without Darling flat out stealing the position it would’ve been great, though I expect others still would’ve complained. True starting goalies generally don’t get only 4 million, both sides of the negations had some trepidation it would seem.

It wasn’t a perfect off season, but the one move that seemed to get the most positive impressions from everyone else is the one that missed. Williams and TVR have been very good additions to me. Darling is going to be an issue, but we’re a better team than we were last year and exactly placed where we hoped we would be going into the season. For all the negativity this season has been a success so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad