A forgotten 2012 defenseman...

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by R S, Jan 23, 2011.

1. R S

R S @avs_tweets

scout
    ...is Jaynen Rissling of the Calgary Hitmen.

I had a chance to watch him last night. It's the second time I have seen him in the last couple of weeks. Wow is this kid good.

He has taken huge strides this season. Coming into the year his mobility was a big issue. But the now 17 year old has come a long way and is doing a great job filling into his 6'3 frame.

He didn't make one mistake all night last night and is a very solid 2 way defenseman. He's not afraid to step up a little into the offensive zone (17 pts in 42 games on a terrible team).

He is also very mature in his own zone and is a big minute eater. He went head to head against the Blades best last night (Schenn's debut) and was a -1 despite his team losing 5-1.

He plays physical in his own zone, and like I said, his mobility didn't appear to be an issue at all.

He is a late birthday, missing the 2011 draft by only 6 days. That means he will be one of the oldest players available for 2012, something that should definitely help his cause.

He is my sleeper for 2012 and I wouldn't be shocked if he climbed into the top 40-60, if not higher.

An NHL comparison might be someone like Eric Brewer. If his offense tapers off I could see him being a Nick Schultz type of player.

The 2012 D crop in the WHL alone is just scary. Murray, Pouliot, Dumba, Rielly, Reinhart, Thrower, Gow etc etc.

I've said it before and I will repeat it here...I wouldn't be shocked to see more than 15 dmen taken in round 1 of the 2012 draft.

2. R S

R S @avs_tweets

scout
    Told you he was forgotten..

3. R S

R S @avs_tweets

scout
    Just scored a goal in the WHL outdoor game. Jumping up in the backdoor. This kid is a good 2 way defender.

4. R S

R S @avs_tweets

scout
    Bumped.

Seeing him more and more on some lists for players to watch for 2012. Kid's a player for sure.

5. strangefamous

strangefamous Registered User

I played Bantam/Midget hockey here in Edmonton with him for a few years. He's a good guy, definitely grew a lot since minor hockey. Wish him the all the best. :)