A Few Slapshot Questions

Malarowski

Jul 25, 2012
Does anyone have trouble getting slapshots to rise with a Sakic curve? If not are there any tips you can provide. I can raise them with power using a P9, Iglina, and somewhat successfully with a Drury/Nash but mine just suck with Sakic.

They either skitter across the ice very fast or flutter through the air with little power. My stick is right up to my chin on skates and has plenty of flex.

Try hitting it more with the toe than anything else. I notices with my E28 that I really needed to focus on that and now they go nicely into cross-bar territory. Took me to look at the puck and not the net unfortunately, but still works.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
Uhh...you don't really want to hit the puck at the toe on slapshots. Between the heel and middle of the blade is the sweetspot.

Edit: Work on your follow through for height.

Malarowski

Jul 25, 2012
Uhh...you don't really want to hit the puck at the toe on slapshots. Between the heel and middle of the blade is the sweetspot.

Edit: Work on your follow through for height.

That's what I thought, too. Wouldn't work with a crazy open toe curve though for some reason.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
That's what I thought, too. Wouldn't work with a crazy open toe curve though for some reason.

I use a crazy open toe curve, and my slapshots always go top shelf/ off the crossbar/ over the net when I shoot from the blue line. It's really difficult to keep the puck down, and if you hit it with the toe, it will send a knuckle ball 10 ft in the air.
But when you manage to keep the puck under the crossbar, it's an absolute bomb.

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
here's the answer to my own question: I have to hit it close enough to the heel that the rocker changes. otherwise if I hit it near the toe the blade rotates about the rocker inflection point and steals most of my power.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I didn't find the Sakic that great for high slappers because it's so flat in the mid-heel area. And connecting with the toe usually created a weak wobbling puck. The P14 was a lot better for that shot, as there was the flatter rocker by the toe that would rise up nicely.

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
the p14 looks like a real nice curve except for the lie (snap and slap). is there an equivalent with a lie 5?

I'll take whatever the rocker gives me to increase the lie when I snap shoot but I want a low powerful slapshot from the heel.

the lie is to make the stick sit better on the ice when I skate. I have to cut a 5.5 lie stick an inch shorter than I prefer to get it to sit correctly.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
I didn't find the Sakic that great for high slappers because it's so flat in the mid-heel area. And connecting with the toe usually created a weak wobbling puck. The P14 was a lot better for that shot, as there was the flatter rocker by the toe that would rise up nicely.

You don't want to be shooting high clappers anyways.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
If you're by the hash marks and it's just you and the goalie you don't want to wind up for a slap shot. If you're by the blue line and there's an open lane to the goalie then...well, the other team is bad(mod edit) so do what you want at that point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
There are times a high slapper can be good. It doesn't have to be a big windup shot. A short windup slapper won't have much longer release than a wrist shot but will have more power behind it and be less predictable. I've seen guys use this on the rush when they have an open lane to the goalie and shoot from the faceoff dots or higher. Or on a one timer.

Knight

Oct 7, 2010
Alright guys, I have a story/question for you

So the past week or so I've been practicing my iffy slapshot. Normally, I'd look down, straight at the puck, and fire away. This usually produced mixed results, from normal shots to hilarious knucklepucks.

Now however, I've made a slight change to my slapshot game. Instead of staring at the puck for the entire shot, I simply glance at the puck and then look towards the net and fire away. I assumed that my chances of whiffing would skyrocket, but I've actually noticed that my technique has felt a lot more natural, and my shot is incredibly more accurate now that I'm looking where I'm shooting. If I'm in stride, I try not to even glance at the puck at all.

So does everyone look at the net instead of the puck when they rip slapshots? I feel like I've just been slow to learn this entire time haha

goonx

Nov 7, 2010

So the past week or so I've been practicing my iffy slapshot. Normally, I'd look down, straight at the puck, and fire away. This usually produced mixed results, from normal shots to hilarious knucklepucks.

Now however, I've made a slight change to my slapshot game. Instead of staring at the puck for the entire shot, I simply glance at the puck and then look towards the net and fire away. I assumed that my chances of whiffing would skyrocket, but I've actually noticed that my technique has felt a lot more natural, and my shot is incredibly more accurate now that I'm looking where I'm shooting. If I'm in stride, I try not to even glance at the puck at all.

So does everyone look at the net instead of the puck when they rip slapshots? I feel like I've just been slow to learn this entire time haha

That's what you should always do. Staring at the puck only brings you bad bad bad things.

that being said, it's okay to look at the puck to track it and then if you have your timing on the spot, you should be looking up to see where you hit it. If your clapper gets blocked and you're shooting it hard, chances are it's going back towards the other way (and you'll get caught).

I'm not a big slapshot person but I say medium/low shots are the best. They can get tipped and it's harder for the goalies to control the rebound. If you rip it high... the chances are that you're missing the net and you don't even get a second chance. It might even ring off the boards back the other way.

The "high" slapshot is more suited to the forwards on a breakaway or one-knee one-timer.

I just don't see how to justify high-clappers as your "goto" shot selection. If you have a clear lane without traffic, a good goalie would probably make a save 80-90% of the time. If you do have traffic, you might injure another player unless you have pin-point accuracy like a pro while controlling that power. I doubt many can do that.

I would say most high shots are more snapshots/half-slapshots than slapshots for most players. A slapper is harder to get off because of the wind-up.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

When you receive a pass before taking a slap shot, look at the puck to place it in the sweet spot of your blade (heel or middle), look at the goalie (at that point, you should already know which corner you want to pick), windup and fire. If you don't have a lot of time and you need to release it quickly, don't raise your stick higher than your knees.

As you get better, you'll execute those steps in a blink of an eye.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad