A few questions about Jr. B hockey.

Patchey*

Alright, I'm around a mid range rep player playing third year midget in house. :help: Cant get much worse for any sort of professional hockey career. Anyways, a few of my coaches thought it would be a good idea if I went to a Jr. B tryout in the summer, thinking I'd have a good chance of making it. I have plenty of experience playing against higher level players from Highschool hockey, and the occasional sub for my Uncles beer league team (mostly filled with ex Jr. players) and I havent been THAT out of place. Any ideas on what to expect?

hoonking

Jan 25, 2010
Just in general for most skill levels, but one thing that you can always improve on is physical conditioning. You might not have the best shot or the best stick handling but if you can go 100% all game that will make you stand out from the rest of the guys who are tiring out near the end.

qwertysac

Nov 14, 2008
Montreal, Qc
Um... dont know about B.C., but here in montreal Junior B is pretty much the lowest level you can play at in that age group. Its basically beginner level hockey.

In other words, you'll be fine.

Hyperkookeez*

FWIW, a lot of the Jr. B players in AB played rep midget. I geuss if you can hold your own against A'ers and AA'ers you should have a decent shot at making the team if it's the same for BC.

Also FWIW, a friend of mine went from Midget 2(iirc) to playing Jr.B, but he was a very good skater.

Patchey*

Um... dont know about B.C., but here in montreal Junior B is pretty much the lowest level you can play at in that age group. Its basically beginner level hockey.

In other words, you'll be fine.

Oh, Here Jr. B is two levels below the CHL I beleive.

canuck44

Feb 24, 2010
I dunno about where you guys are from, but as far as I know here (Toronto), a decent AA player will have a good shot at Jr C, AAA guys will have a shot at Jr B.

I played A/AA, but playing non contact during summer leagues I was playing with AAA guys. I had a shot at playing Jr C but screwed up my ankle and kissed my hockey career goodbye.

Moobles

Mar 15, 2009
I'm from B.C. (goalie) and I played up in a few Jr. B/A camps. Never in games but I knew some of the guys, I used to do goalie clinics up in Langley and I was target practice for them during the summer :laugh:.

If you have good conditioning and your stickwork is alright you should be able to keep up with the guys on the ice. Most players in Jr. B played Rep A in Vancouver but from what I could tell, were sort of the "favorites" (guys who could've been on B or good players in House but had moms/dads on the board) or third/fourth liners who had skill but couldn't use the ice time effectively.

If you wanna go past B, you gotta want it more and want it bad. When I played up in camps, a lot of the new guys were way to shy and would get shoved around.

Jr. B's like an upgraded Rep B in terms of reputation and play from what I knew when I was there. That is, it's got a lot more goons and a lot of guys battling to keep the dream alive. It's alot nastier than A, but it's a good learning experience and if hockey's something you love, it's a good step up.

Patchey*

I'm from B.C. (goalie) and I played up in a few Jr. B/A camps. Never in games but I knew some of the guys, I used to do goalie clinics up in Langley and I was target practice for them during the summer :laugh:.

If you have good conditioning and your stickwork is alright you should be able to keep up with the guys on the ice. Most players in Jr. B played Rep A in Vancouver but from what I could tell, were sort of the "favorites" (guys who could've been on B or good players in House but had moms/dads on the board) or third/fourth liners who had skill but couldn't use the ice time effectively.

If you wanna go past B, you gotta want it more and want it bad. When I played up in camps, a lot of the new guys were way to shy and would get shoved around.

Jr. B's like an upgraded Rep B in terms of reputation and play from what I knew when I was there. That is, it's got a lot more goons and a lot of guys battling to keep the dream alive. It's alot nastier than A, but it's a good learning experience and if hockey's something you love, it's a good step up.

Thanks, thats perfect.

Hrad

Dec 30, 2009
I dunno about where you guys are from, but as far as I know here (Toronto), a decent AA player will have a good shot at Jr C, AAA guys will have a shot at Jr B.

I played A/AA, but playing non contact during summer leagues I was playing with AAA guys. I had a shot at playing Jr C but screwed up my ankle and kissed my hockey career goodbye.

Hmm...I'm looking to play Junior C in the Toronto area (Well Brampton/Mississauga) but I don't know which team is the closest to here... The only one I can find is Brampton Capitals but that's Junior A.

Which team were you going to play for in Junior C?

MNWild9

Feb 16, 2010
Minot,ND
I would check out the Kootenay International Hockey League (KIJHL), Pacific International Junior Hockey League (PIJHL), and the Vancouver Island Junior Hockey League (VIJHL) in BC or I would check out teams in Saskatchewan like Prairie Junior Hockey League.

canuck44

Feb 24, 2010
Hmm...I'm looking to play Junior C in the Toronto area (Well Brampton/Mississauga) but I don't know which team is the closest to here... The only one I can find is Brampton Capitals but that's Junior A.

Which team were you going to play for in Junior C?

As far as I know, all of the Junior hockey in Ontario is under OHA.

http://www.ohahockey.org/page/show/14439-junior-c

List of Jr C leagues in the OHA. You can see that everything's pretty far from the city. I was gonna leave town to play for a season or two and then go back to school.

Hrad

Dec 30, 2009
As far as I know, all of the Junior hockey in Ontario is under OHA.

http://www.ohahockey.org/page/show/14439-junior-c

List of Jr C leagues in the OHA. You can see that everything's pretty far from the city. I was gonna leave town to play for a season or two and then go back to school.

Yeah all Junior C hockey are in the OHA.

That sucks that none of them are near here, since I can't really leave town or school just for Junior C...

So I guess I got to start getting to the Junior A level if I want to stay close to home eh? :P

j12

Feb 27, 2009
In Ontario, the difference between Jr. A and Jr. B is a bit deceiving. In Niagara for example, AAA players that move on to Junior will play Jr B because there isn't a Jr A option in the region. So many of the Jr B teams in the area are actually Jr A calibre. Scouts regard the league on par with Jr A as well.

To the OP: My experience is at least go out for the tryout. If you don't make it at least you get some experience, and maybe you'll have done enough that you'll get called up for a game or two during the season, which certainly helps you in the long term.

Quicktimer

Nov 20, 2008
Go check out some playoff games... Match yourself up.

I'll give you one tip. Keep your head up if you're coming from a house league team.

molson1157

Oct 19, 2009
If you are going to tryout in PIJHL stay away from these teams they are worst in the league and for a very good reason

Port Moody very bad ownership and coaching staff that don't know what they are doing you are treated like a piece of meat :shakehead

Mission this team is a nightmare the owners don't know what they are doing they have gone thourgh 9 coaches in 7 years (a very good program) ha ha ha they have had some very good coaches but could not get along with the owners:help::laugh:

Abbotsford also treats you like a piece of meat the coach is a moron plays his
favorites and his son all the time:shakehead

Squamish just horrable meat market sell their players at trade deadline every year (jan 10th ):shakehead

I would tryout for these teams

Richmond ownership and coaching staff are great you will get get a fair tryout here

North Delta good coaching ownership is average

Aldergrove very good ownership and coaching matter of fact this coach was in Mission and the owner let him go (2010 PIJHL champions):laugh:

Grandview Great owners and coaching

Delta Owners not bad don't know to much about them coaching Ok

Ridge Meadows Great owners the coaching is average

I hope this helps

Patchey*

If you are going to tryout in PIJHL stay away from these teams they are worst in the league and for a very good reason

Port Moody very bad ownership and coaching staff that don't know what they are doing you are treated like a piece of meat :shakehead

Mission this team is a nightmare the owners don't know what they are doing they have gone thourgh 9 coaches in 7 years (a very good program) ha ha ha they have had some very good coaches but could not get along with the owners:help::laugh:

Abbotsford also treats you like a piece of meat the coach is a moron plays his
favorites and his son all the time:shakehead

Squamish just horrable meat market sell their players at trade deadline every year (jan 10th ):shakehead

I would tryout for these teams

Richmond ownership and coaching staff are great you will get get a fair tryout here

North Delta good coaching ownership is average

Aldergrove very good ownership and coaching matter of fact this coach was in Mission and the owner let him go (2010 PIJHL champions):laugh:

Grandview Great owners and coaching

Delta Owners not bad don't know to much about them coaching Ok

Ridge Meadows Great owners the coaching is average

I hope this helps

Thanks for that, I was looking into trying out for Grandview, Richmond, and either Delta or Abbotsford.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad