A farewell to hockey

cbjbluejackets61

This is neat!
Feb 26, 2009
Columbus
I am writing this as I am sitting in the E.R and waiting on the results to see if I broke my arm for the second time in a year. I think I am done with hockey as they both occurred from playing the game.

Farewell to goals
Farewell to beer league
Farewell to the feeling of ice skatin
Farewell to tape jobs
Farewell to playoff beards

Farewell hockey.

scryan

May 1, 2013
Kinda random injury to repeat multiple times in year... (no offense)

What happened, hit with pucks?

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
I'm sure I'm going to come off like a jerk so I'll just state it plain.

Bones heal. If you didn't do any join/soft tissue damage other than rehabbing your strength you should be able to make a (near) full recovery. If it's something more complicated you may be making a very wise choice to ensure you aren't crippled later in life.

HOWEVER, we are adults and I completely understand if you don't want to deal with the pain, your wife nagging, missing work, cost, crappy ice hours, etc.

Good luck in whatever you eventually decide.

Jackson12

Feb 28, 2008
Ottawa
Tripped both times. One time fell against the boards and the other fell forward and tried to break my fall with my arm I guess..

funny how you tried to break your fall with your arm and what really happened is you broke your arm with your fall. well not funny for you of course.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
There's always shinny and stick and puck for fun right?

Good luck dude

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
Bones heal. If you didn't do any join/soft tissue damage other than rehabbing your strength you should be able to make a (near) full recovery. If it's something more complicated you may be making a very wise choice to ensure you aren't crippled later in life.

Well said. Hell, I've broken my foot twice in the past two years blocking shots. Bones heal, and hockey is too fun to stop playing. Or at the very least play it in a not-so-competitive league. Just don't give it up entirely so easily.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I take it you aren't getting paid to play, but just keep in mind guys like Pacioretty or Malarchuk. Pacioretty had his spine broken and Malarchuk nearly died after having his jugular slashed, but both returned to the game. It's easy to be discouraged right after an injury when you're hurting, but try to think of all the wonderful times you've had playing the game and all the great times you could have in the future. Don't give up!

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Good idea to know when to fold 'em. Lotsa 50+ year old guys around here with a lot of pain from old injuries, sustained while trying to move up the hockey ladder.

Hockey is absolutely fun, but the memories and enjoyment you had will still with you and you can persue a different activity.

One that won't make it painful to get on the floor with your grandkids.

Just one old farts perspective. Good luck.

NJDevs430

Jun 9, 2002
Visit site
I don't know man. Whenever I watch these guys seem to be constantly in pain, to the point they need to roll around and stuff. Seems really dangerous.
Of course, I'm sure you're referring to when players dive and flop to get calls.

I don't particularly like soccer, but at this one rink I play, they have two indoor soccer fields at the back of the building and I've watched these guys go all out - just as much as any of the hockey players. They dive for loose balls and run as hard they can all game without regard to tight spaces.

To the OP - good luck with your recovery. Time heals most wounds...maybe someday you'll get the itch again. Don't sell your equipment just yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad