A fan's question

CapsJunkie

Beaglchuck scores
May 3, 2014
Anchorage, Alaska
I've been trying to figure out why the caps can't put a winning streak together. Am I being to hard on the goaltending? Defense has been blocking a lot of shots. Is the d-men trying to hard to block shots? Is it just that they're screening the goalies?
Ovechkins one-timer...Is his curve to much? His one-timer is amazing, but he loses the one on one battles by no puck control and wiffs a lot now. Thoughts???

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
The theory I've read says that big curves are supposed to help stick handling because you can cup the puck more easily than you can with a flat curve, which lets you drag it around more easily. Big curves can be bad for backhand shots and passes, but not for stickhandling in general.

malyk

Apr 15, 2007
The City by the Bay
The theory I've read says that big curves are supposed to help stick handling because you can cup the puck more easily than you can with a flat curve, which lets you drag it around more easily. Big curves can be bad for backhand shots and passes, but not for stickhandling in general.

It depends. The big curve is great for shoot, but it does make stickhandling more difficult. The problem is you end up with less margin for error on the backhand "stroke" because if the puck is too close to the toe it means you have to really twists your wrists hard to bring the puck back to the centerline. Then you have to do the same to "recover" on the forehand. So it takes a little more energy and time if there is anything but a perfect center of the stick back and forth...which rarely happens.

But it does let you shoot better, can help with the curl and drag, etc. But there are tradeoffs.

HOLDITHERE*

Holtby needs to start getting some of the blame. I love the guy, but it seems like every game he's played, he's let up an awful, easy as **** goal. Either straight over his left shoulder, or five-hole.

Say what you will about Oates killing him, he should still remember how to block basic shots.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Believe it or not but Ovechkin has actually toned down his curve upon switching back to Bauer sticks. I have a photo of the difference somewhere I'll try and post.

As far as Ovie and his puck skills a lot of that can be blamed on crappy ice conditions esp at verizion. He also seems to lack the ability to slow the game down when he has the puck and he tries all these things at full speed. Watch videos of him playing keep away with kids and stuff and it's clear he has tremendous skills.

The Caps have a serious knack for allowing goals bounce off of them and past Holtby and I blame that on inability to clear the zone and consistantly allowing shots from the points for sustained shifts. They start cutting that down and IMO they give up less flukey goals against.

Burakovsky95*

Holtby needs to start getting some of the blame. I love the guy, but it seems like every game he's played, he's let up an awful, easy as **** goal. Either straight over his left shoulder, or five-hole.

Say what you will about Oates killing him, he should still remember how to block basic shots.

Blaming Holtby for anything outside of the first 2 weeks or so is just not right

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad