A dispersal draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

CuSa_1

Feb 15, 2004
I have heard that there will be six brackets and a lottery to see who gets the first pick....

Questions: How will the rest of the draft play out? WIll this draft incorporate two years worth of prospects? Seven Rounds? Same order for all seven rounds?

Maybe it should be an ascending decending type of draft....

Round 1

ABCDEFG

Round 2

GFEDCBA

Round 3

ABCDEFG

Or perhaps the first two rounds are ABCDEFG then the next two are GFEDCBA.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
You heard where?

And if so, it makes some sense. Only 288 players are under contract next year but half of those are on Toronto, Detroit, Philly and Colorado . . . :D

All kidding aside, some teams will be very hard pressed to meet a ceiling that will be something like $36 million so something like this will have to happen. And I am pretty doutful that we will see teams who are above get to shed their worst albatross contracts onto teams who have cap room to spare. As an example, sorry Philly but those teams really do not want John LeClair at his salary and his comparatively sorry production level, you are stuck with him counting against the cap. My guess if this is true is that it may work like a modification of the rule five draft in baseball. You can protect only so many slots and have to put the rest into this draft. You have to be under the cap at the end. Which means you likely will be able to protect your best, but will have to carry the worst contracts and lose some of true talent in the middle.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Edit:

Found a link:

There will be a salary cap linked to league-wide revenues with an upper and lower limit. The exact range is still to be determined, but it’s believed the cap will be in the area of $34 million to $36 million with some variation of a luxury tax.

Once there is a settlement, a scramble to sign players will commence. Teams under the cap will be competing to sign players, and clubs over the cap will be in the dump mode.

There is even talk of a possible dispersal draft for teams over the cap such as Detroit, Philadelphia and Toronto to move out players.

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sportsstory.asp?id=62596

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
there won't be a dispersal draft. first off, if 04-05 contracts expire the majority of the players don't have contracts so what is the point. and more importantly the rumor i've heard is that the old team would still pay some of the salary after that player gets claimed. are you kidding me?? do you really think that big market owners are going to continue to pay the salaries of those players while they play in other cities? do you think jim dolan is going to pay holik $6 mil/year to play in nashville?? not a chance. those big market teams will sue the pants off the league and get it blocked...and you can't say that the new team will take the full salary because there is no way teams will touch the players that will be exposed if they have to pay the $$.

if a team needs to get out of a contract to get under the cap they will have 2 options, 1 they can work out a trade with another team to unload the salary or 2 they can buyout the player and make him a free agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->