Proposal: A deal centered around Wayne Simmonds and Braden Holtby

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
His cap hit is a non-factor for us since he only has 2 years left.
But what's the point if we're only keeping him for two more years? He's going to want more after that. I would rather get some one we are going to have long-term. Trading Simmer for what would ostensibly be a rental does not seem like a good move. I'd rather keep him at that point. Now, if we are dealing for a goalie in Washington, I would be much more inclined to go for Grubbauer and a pick or something. Grubbauer on a longer term deal for cheaper to be the starter until Hart is ready then go back to backup plus a first or a guy like maybe Vrana (though that is probably asking too much) is what I would prefer if we are dealing with the Caps.

But in all honesty, if we are trading Simmer, I think we should be doing it for futures. It isn't like trading him leaves a big hole in the top six. It leaves a hole in the 3rd line which can be filled via UFA or one of our youngsters. If we can nab a big futures return that would be ideal.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I'd be in on Holtby but a) not at the expense of seeing Simmonds play for a division rival and b) not with the potential add to Simmonds. I agree that the Capitals probably wouldn't be a good fit for Simmonds so why would they help out a team in the Metro?

That being said, Holtby is interesting because he has a recent history of excellent play (ie before this season) and is signed short term.

DrinkFightFlyers said:
But what's the point if we're only keeping him for two more years?
The point is to up the competitiveness in the interim of bringing Hart / Sandstrom / ??? up to NHL speed. The current tandem of Elliott/Neuvirth is a punt for next season, neither Mrazek nor Lyon are the answer, and I have no clue what Stolarz represents after his lost season. Hart will be starting season 1 in the AHL in 2018; how many years will be required for him to become the (please, please, please!!!) Flyers starter? The goaltending spot is arguably the biggest roster hole moving ahead as this team becomes a better and better playoff threat. We are all justified in our expectation that Hart is an excellent candidate to become the starter, and other prospects like Sandstrom are there in case he busts. In that interim period, I would advocate strongly for a goalie who can give this team a very good chance to go deep in the playoffs, and then be the transition to the next generation.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What worries me with Holtby is he went south in last year's playoffs and then this year.
I'd have to scout him very carefully to see if this was something fixable or more something that requires electroshock therapy.
Because this year's version is no better than Elliott.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad