Proposal: A deal centered around Wayne Simmonds and Braden Holtby

Bleed orange

Mar 28, 2013
I know it is rather unlikely that division rivals would make a big splash like this, but I think Hextall exploring a trade like this could do wonders.

Could add small pieces on either side to make the deal even.

Would fellow flyers fans do this trade? I would in a heartbeat. It gives the flyers a better chance to compete now, while also gives them the luxury of not having to rush Hart/Sandstrom

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I'd do it, probably. He is signed for a couple more years and could be a perfect bridge to Hart. Though, I doubt we trade Simmonds within division. Same thing goes for Holtby and WSH.

Reactions: BernieParent

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
There's a significant add to Simmonds to get Holtby. I feel like we as a fanbase overrate Simmond (and I so love his tenacity). Great leader, great PPer, but average at best 5v5 player. Also, the caps PP is centered around Ovechkin getting open shots at the circle... Simmonds isnt helping that.

I'd move Simmonds for Holtby in a heartbeat, especially given Holtby's contract and its relevance to Harts development, as I discussed in a previous thread.

Last edited:

Bleed orange

Mar 28, 2013
In a vacuum I agree Holtby probably has more value than simmonds, but when goalies are traded they usually don’t receive as much value in return as they should. There has been chatter around DC that with Grubauer emerging, he could be challenging for Holtbys job going forward.

Maybe Simmonds for Holtby is wishful thinking for us, probably is.

I think the point I’m getting at with this thread is that I think Hextall should try and acquire a legit NHL starter this offseason. I know it is easier said than done, but probably at the top of my wish list this offseason

Philadelphia Ducks

Win it for Ed
May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
meh, I really don't want to move Simmonds, I'd be looking to extend him personally. His production is probably dipping but he's a great locker room guy I'm sure. I imagine another year with Simmonds, get to playoffs, teach the kids some more and then losing him for nothing is worth more than trading him now for another 1st round pick or packaging him for Holtby who's had a bad season or adding onto him for Holtby who had a terrible season.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
meh, I really don't want to move Simmonds, I'd be looking to extend him personally.

tenor.gif

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
There's a significant add to Simmonds to get Holtby. I feel like we as a fanbase overrate Simmond (and I so love his tenacity). Great leader, great PPer, but average at best 5v5 player. Also, the caps PP is centered around Ovechkin getting open shots at the circle... Simmonds isnt helping that.

I'd move Simmonds for Holtby in a heartbeat, especially given Holtby's contract and its relevance to Harts development, as I discussed in a previous thread.
I don't think so, Goalies go for minimal value always. And he hasn't been good recently.

I'd rather move Simmonds for NHL ready prospects.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
having a lot of money tied up into a goalie is agreat way to destroy your franchise...cough cough montreal. Goalie is the only position in the NHL that I would not commit long term money because year to year you just dont't know. Look at Matt Murray, first two years in the league wins them the stanley cup. plays outstanding. This year if they don't win the cup it will be because of Matt Murray. The only goalie who I can think of who has had a long run of sustained excellence recently is Lundqvist and Luongo.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I don't think so, Goalies go for minimal value always. And he hasn't been good recently.

I'd rather move Simmonds for NHL ready prospects.

Likewise, Simmonds hasn't been good recently. We cant expect his recent history to be his indicating value - at least, we cant -if - were using Holtbys scores to indicate value.

Simmonds value before this season was perhaps exaggerated over Holtby. He has now lost..or at the least..negated that edge.

Simmonds + for Holtby is at least an argument I'm ing to make if we push can find a way to push Hart aside for two years, which I hope is t the reality.

Push those two years aside, I still hate it. Why am I the only cali living Flyers fan? ;(

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It's not even clear what Washington is planning with their goalie situation with Grubauer and Holtby and Samsonov potentially being signed. Perhaps it's Grubauer they dangle instead, and I'm sure he'd create a market (look at Jones, Schneider, etc.). Holtby has only had 1 bad year, and what that does for his value I'm not actually sure. There are a few desperate desperate teams out there *cough Canes cough* who might pony up anything to acquire a goalie.

I'm not even sure why the Capitals would desire Simmonds. If they struggle again, odds are they look to add youth/picks.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I'm no longer convinced that Holtby would be much of an upgrade over Elliot.
Don't want to discredit his body of work but it's easy to put up good stats while playing net for a perrenial contender. His cap hit of 6.1M is pretty much a no go.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
having a lot of money tied up into a goalie is agreat way to destroy your franchise...cough cough montreal. Goalie is the only position in the NHL that I would not commit long term money because year to year you just dont't know. Look at Matt Murray, first two years in the league wins them the stanley cup. plays outstanding. This year if they don't win the cup it will be because of Matt Murray. The only goalie who I can think of who has had a long run of sustained excellence recently is Lundqvist and Luongo.

Good thing Holtby has only 2 years left and is only getting paid 6.1AAV.

Reactions: Jtown

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
It would be a yes for me.
same
I feel like this team is a couple of pieces and another year or two of maturing from the younglings from truly competing
& one of those pieces is a keeper

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
same
I feel like this team is a couple of pieces and another year or two of maturing from the younglings from truly competing
& one of those pieces is a keeper
Yup. And our young D playing in front of a better goalie would help them a lot. It allows Hart to be in AHL for 1 season, then NHL backup the next behind Holtby. Then take over the following year.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
That is doable

We have some nice cap room and we wouldn't feel the need to rush Hart into a starting role if we were to trade for Holtby. Personally, I think it is a good idea, but the likelihood of it happening is fairly low.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Goalies that just lost their #1 label don't have a ton of value.

If the Caps are ready to move on from Holtby, we can probably acquire Holtby for a lesser price than Simmonds, who in a separate trade is worth 1st + Prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->