A cup ring either way

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Tough to go midseason off the top of my head...a couple of things to get the ball kind of rolling...

Nate Schmidt claimed by Vegas from Washington in 2018.
Jeff Friesen to New Jersey from Anaheim in July 2002.
Aaron Ward to Carolina from Detroit in July 2001.

I did locate one...Derek Plante was acquired by Dallas from Buffalo for a 2nd at the '99 deadline...

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
if you were traded and played for a different team, do you really still get your name on the cup? i thought that provision was only for injured players or maybe also guys who got bumped out of the lineup for ringers.

anyway, larry murphy came close to meeting the 40 game threshold with minnesota in 1991.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
vadim beat me to mentioning the Larry Murphy trade.

In '88 Edmonton traded Moe Lemay to Boston at the deadline, though he'd only played 4 games for the Oilers.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
if you were traded and played for a different team, do you really still get your name on the cup? i thought that provision was only for injured players or maybe also guys who got bumped out of the lineup for ringers.

anyway, larry murphy came close to meeting the 40 game threshold with minnesota in 1991.

Murphy played 31 games for Minnesota.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Myles Lane was an American defenseman who played more than half of the 1928-1929 NHL season for the Rangers before being traded to Boston where he played the remaining 19 regular season games then won the Stanley Cup as a Bruin, the franchise's first (a victory over the previous year's Rags he had been traded from).

Lane is most remembered as the last living member of the Bruins' first championship, though he is inducted in the college football hall of fame for his early years with Dartmouth, and he went on to become a Supreme Court justice.

He is a charter member of the US hockey hall of fame and a car accident after the cup victory broke bones in his knee and back, curtailing his hockey career.

Last edited:
Reactions: quoipourquoi

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Surely the stipulation is 41 games, and still being on the roster come playoff time?
Adding the names of players who were traded out mid-season seems very strange.

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
2014-Jan-03 Carcillo was Traded from Los Angeles Kings to New York Rangers for round 7 pick in the 2014 draft. He then played in the finals against the Kings, and lost.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
No one has ever won a Cup if they have been traded. I am pretty sure Dave Lewis doesn't have his name on the Cup in 1980 (he was traded to L.A. who didn't even come close but it is still relevant). He's no longer an Islander by the time they won it in 1980. It isn't as if he got hurt during the regular season but was still actively on the roster. Yvan Cournoyer comes to mind, Serge Savard, etc. You still give these guys the Cup that year. They still would feel like they earned it. But if you are traded away? No, that doesn't count.

A side note, Marc Savard played 25 games for Boston in 2011 before his career ending injury.............is his name on the Cup and do people feel as if he won a Cup?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad