a couple of quetions about my Graf 735

anonFOX

Dec 14, 2011
I'm about 5'9", 145lbs. size ~10 foot

the stock blade seems to have a long radius, I feel like I'm losing out on maneuverability and such with so much blade/ice contact -- given my boot size would I maybe benefit from a tighter radius blade? I'm already more of a top-end speed kind of skater so I'm willing to lose a little bit of speed for turns

I have an old pair of Bauers sitting around with the TUUK holder. I've seen some skaters swap these in -- why do they do this? what advantages/disadvantages come with this holder? I like the stance of my Grafs more (forward leaning) than my old Bauers (more flat lean)

cheers!

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
I'm about 5'9", 145lbs. size ~10 foot

the stock blade seems to have a long radius, I feel like I'm losing out on maneuverability and such with so much blade/ice contact -- given my boot size would I maybe benefit from a tighter radius blade? I'm already more of a top-end speed kind of skater so I'm willing to lose a little bit of speed for turns

I have an old pair of Bauers sitting around with the TUUK holder. I've seen some skaters swap these in -- why do they do this? what advantages/disadvantages come with this holder? I like the stance of my Grafs more (forward leaning) than my old Bauers (more flat lean)

cheers!

there's a good chance you were skating on a smaller blade radius prior to your grafs. grafs generally come in an 11' radius out of the box while bauers(starting in '09 i believe) come in a 9' radius.
i also noticed the difference when i switched to my g35's coming from my bauer x60's. just go to a sharpener you trust and ask them to give you a smaller profile.

as far players switching out to tuuks, it's mainly personal preference. some guys just prefer the feel of tuuks because that's what they became accustomed to skating in. others switch out to tuuks because they have a more neutral pitch as opposed to the more aggressive pitch of the cobras. if you're happy with the current stance of your 735's, then there's no reason to change holders.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I did the same thing, went from Bauers to Graf G35's. I tried the 11' radius but after a few weeks had them profiled to 9' and it helped quite a bit. My balance was still off so I had them take the pitch neutral like a Bauer skate.

Money no object I'd throw Bauer Tuuk/LS2's on the Grafs, but they offered to do the pitch/profiling for a lot less than new holders and steel. I feel like the Tuuks have a hair more "spring" to them but the Grafs are fine.

Anyways the 9'/neutral radius IMMENSELY helped my skating get back to normal, and with the better fit of the Graf boots I am a lot more agile on the ice since I'm not losing edges due to my foot moving around inside the boot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad