A conversation about the C position

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Let's say, for the sake of argument, that Bergevin gets his things in order and he finally gets us that big centerman that we've always wanted. His name is Ryan O'Reilly, and we had to trade our first, and Poehling for him. And then Bergevin goes out and he signs Stastny.

Where do you think this gets us? If you would like him to do such a thing, tell us why. Let's have a conversation.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Let's say, for the sake of argument, that Bergevin gets his things in order and he finally gets us that big centerman that we've always wanted. His name is Ryan O'Reilly, and we had to trade our first, and Poehling for him. And then Bergevin goes out and he signs Stastny.

Where do you think this gets us? If you would like him to do such a thing, tell us why. Let's have a conversation.
In the playoffs most likely, but we aren't winning the cup and we gave a top5 1st pick. ROR is a 60 points player and Stastny a 40 points player. I am not interested in any of those players.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

It potentially gets the Habs in a playoff position, but the cup still remains a pipe dream. ROR is not a top end center that teams will win cups with.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Is there anyone willing to argue that there's no way we wouldn't be successful if only we had ROR on the team?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Is there anyone willing to argue that there's no way we wouldn't be successful if only we had ROR on the team?

How do you define success? I think everyone here so far is saying that it won't be successful, if success means being a Stanley cup contender.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I mean, I'm pretty sure we get in the playoffs with him. So if you are like Bergevin and think getting in the playoffs is considered successful, and anything more is just bonus, then sure.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
Stastny and O’Reilly would be a good start, but MB’s still got a long ways to go. Lets say our center depth becomes O’Reilly, Stastny, Danault, than we trade Galchenyuk because lets face it he’s never going to succeed on this team, for a second pairing dman, were still missing a top 4 D and probably atleast 1 legit top 6 winger. And Weber, price, pacioretty and stastny would all be nearing the end of there primes sooner rather than later, I’m still not sure we compete with that roster. In the long run wouldnt it just make more sense to finish out of the playoffs for the next few years, and build through the draft?

Edit: didnt realize the trade for O’Reilly involved our 1st this year aswell as Poehling. I’d give a first, but not a potential 1st overall.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I mean, I'm pretty sure we get in the playoffs with him. So if you are like Bergevin and think getting in the playoffs is considered successful, and anything more is just bonus, then sure.
It's going to be difficult to make the type of moves we'll need to be a contender next year.

It's going to have to be a process...we can't just dismiss options because they don't turn us into contenders on their own.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Would likely put us in the playoffs, but the moves would be about 2-3 years too late.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Stastny and O’Reilly would be a good start, but MB’s still got a long ways to go. Lets say our center depth becomes O’Reilly, Stastny, Danault, than we trade Galchenyuk because lets face it he’s never going to succeed on this team, for a second pairing dman, were still missing a top 4 D and probably atleast 1 legit top 6 winger. And Weber, price, pacioretty and stastny would all be nearing the end of there primes sooner rather than later, I’m still not sure we compete with that roster. In the long run wouldnt it just make more sense to finish out of the playoffs for the next few years, and build through the draft?

Edit: didnt realize the trade for O’Reilly involved our 1st this year aswell as Poehling. I’d give a first, but not a potential 1st overall.
Why is that?

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

Unless we get Tavares and Dahlin, rebuild through the draft for many years (i.e. tank). It's the only way to avoid mediocrity, i.e. making the playoffs and getting bounced in the first or second round, which we're far from now, but that is your scenario's CEILING.

Reactions: LaP

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

If the Habs trade a 1st + Poehling for ROR...then I don't see why they'd then need to go out and sign Stastsny.

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
We are in a deep deep hole. Our defence is not good. Our prospect depth is not good. There is no quick fix. This team needs chemotherapy.

Even if we get Tavares and RoR, I still think we are not up to it. Pitt has Crosby and Malkin but also a better D and a ton of better support players. And still they aren’t even favourites. You need 4 lines that can score in today’s NHL. Also, you need a strong farm team so that if one of those guys on the 3 or 4th line is hurt, there is another good player ready to take his place.

We don’t have that and we won’t get there for a long time and never with the stooges we have in charge.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
In the playoffs most likely, but we aren't winning the cup and we gave a top5 1st pick. ROR is a 60 points player and Stastny a 40 points player. I am not interested in any of those players.

Stastny over 82 games is like a 50-60 guy. A solid #2. Should not be a #1.

I would do Tavares-stastny-danault no problem.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
If the Habs trade a 1st + Poehling for ROR...then I don't see why they'd then need to go out and sign Stastsny.

Because Drouin sucks dick at center. The question was, though, ''where do you think this gets us?''

Thoughts?

Reactions: G0bias

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Unless we get Tavares and Dahlin, rebuild through the draft for many years (i.e. tank). It's the only way to avoid mediocrity, i.e. making the playoffs and getting bounced in the first or second round, which we're far from now, but that is your scenario's CEILING.

If we’re tanking for many years why would Tavares even consider us? Not saying he’s coming, but he won’t even think of us in that case.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
We are in a deep deep hole. Our defence is not good. Our prospect depth is not good. There is no quick fix. This team needs chemotherapy.

Even if we get Tavares and RoR, I still think we are not up to it. Pitt has Crosby and Malkin but also a better D and a ton of better support players. And still they aren’t even favourites. You need 4 lines that can score in today’s NHL. Also, you need a strong farm team so that if one of those guys on the 3 or 4th line is hurt, there is another good player ready to take his place.

We don’t have that and we can get there for a long time and never with the stooges we have in charge.

We are in la la Land here but tavares and ROR does make this team a potential contender. Peices just start falling into place where they should be through a domino effect... Which means guys like drouin, galchenyuk, lehkoben,hudon etc, all have improved numbers.

The focus then would shift to finding another top 4 puck moving dman, which is the easier part.

Reactions: Toene

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Indeed, would it not?

You can assume that we wait until after the draft lottery to make the trade if that changes your position at all. Although I agree with it as it is.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I think we are still back to relying on Price standing on his head to have any success, D still sucks. If you can find a way to get ROR with keeping our 1st - flip Pacioretty to Florida for a package and add Poehling to that it maybe looks a little better if we grab Hughes in the 1st. No interest in Statsny, JT or broke :laugh:

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
Why is that?

Galchenyuk was just below a ppg before being injured last year, this year when we were desperate for a top line center they played everyone else there but him, they’d rather try to turn Drouin into a center than try Chucky there again. We saw superstar in the making De la rose centering chuckys line but not Galchenyuk, do you honestly believe this team has Galchenyuks best interests at heart? I think at this point its more about not being proven wrong, than doing what may actually benefit the habs, because there is no good reason for 27 to not be playing center.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
We’d be improved up the middle, no question. Assuming we keep Patches and Galchenyuk, which I guess we will since we moved Poehling and our first, we may be stronger offensively and I’ll be optimistic and say we solved that problem.

However, while we’ll win more face offs, our defence is the same. Maybe it’ll be better next year of certain youngsters progress and Weber is 100%. However, it’s still too slow as a group and no real dynamic puck mover back there.

Anyhow, say if everything is status quo, plus ROR and Statsny, we will be better and I think a 98pt team, so a playoff team most likely. However, we still lack high-end talent both up front and in back. Since we dumped Poehling and our first, our prospect pool will continue to be unimpressive.

What this means although we are better next season, we’ll be right back where we are in 2-3 years.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
We are in la la Land here but tavares and ROR does make this team a potential contender. Peices just start falling into place where they should be through a domino effect... Which means guys like drouin, galchenyuk, lehkoben,hudon etc, all have improved numbers.

The focus then would shift to finding another top 4 puck moving dman, which is the easier part.
That is the thing with having Scherbak, Hudon, Lehkonen, Reilly number going up is that they are becoming RFAs and, good numbers means more money, more money means we will have to trade a couple and replace them with what? We have not a single propects able to make an impact on the 2nd or 3rd line the following year. A top 2 offensive dmen will need to be acquire if we dont get Dahlin. Byron is set to become UFA.Now unless you are able to trade Shaw, Alzner, Schlemko and even then it might not work with the salary cap.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Because Drouin sucks dick at center. The question was, though, ''where do you think this gets us?''

Thoughts?
If the Habs were able to trade for ROR...I'd be comfortable giving Drouin another shot at C.

1yr at the position under his belt and with much better insulation with ROR, I think we'd see better performances.

But I also understand you've closed the chapter on Drouin.

To answer the question though;

I think it makes us much better team, it would give us way more balance. Still needs some work though.

It certainly doesn't make us Cup contenders though, but expecting a team to go from 4th worst to Cup contender in one offseason isn't very realistic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->