Confirmed with Link: A congrats is in order!

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Congrats. Can't be an Avs fan anymore I guess. :)

Not sure he'll read this though...he hasn't posted here in 2 years.

Reactions: Murzu

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Congrats!

Not sure if a dumb question but out of curiosity, how does someone end up becoming a scout? Like how do you start out

Not a dumb question, wish I had an answer. I imagine you just gotta find a way in at the lower levels and work your way up. Being adept in analytics sure helps these days, as it did for RS. Kyle Dubas I believe started out as an equipment guy. And sometimes it's good to be able to network and spread your name far and wide. Guys like Dave Nonis and John Weisbrod sure seem to have that aspect of the job down, if not the actual hockey part of it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Congrats!

Not sure if a dumb question but out of curiosity, how does someone end up becoming a scout? Like how do you start out

Basically connections. The hockey world is pretty small. Knowing someone to get your feet wet then just building from there. A number of the younger scouts out there actually started with some blogs and analytics stuff then have made connections which has translated up. It actually wouldn't shock me one day to hear about Pronman joining an organization.

Scouting is damn hard work though. It is much harder and more strenuous than people think.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Scouting is damn hard work though. It is much harder and more strenuous than people think.

I would think the travel schedule would be super-rough, especially since a lot of destinations are less-than-glamorous rinks that aren't exactly well-kept. I've seen pro scouts at Lincoln Stars games and while Lincoln ain't a bad place to visit, the Ice Box is a barn where virtually all the cement floors are sticky with years of soda residue. One year the heating broke, so they punched a hole in the wall and used a ginormous space heater to pump in hot air, the fans had to gather around it like it was a campfire between periods. :laugh: I imagine some rinks are far worse.

Anyway, I have a friend who works in the minors, and he says some of the cities they have to go to are absolute armpits. I don't know if I could do that, especially if the pay was substandard.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I would think the travel schedule would be super-rough, especially since a lot of destinations are less-than-glamorous rinks that aren't exactly well-kept. I've seen pro scouts at Lincoln Stars games and while Lincoln ain't a bad place to visit, the Ice Box is a barn where virtually all the cement floors are sticky with years of soda residue. One year the heating broke, so they punched a hole in the wall and used a ginormous space heater to pump in hot air, the fans had to gather around it like it was a campfire between periods. :laugh: I imagine some rinks are far worse.

Anyway, I have a friend who works in the minors, and he says some of the cities they have to go to are absolute armpits. I don't know if I could do that, especially if the pay was substandard.

I've seen some that are just mind bogglingly bad.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Congrats!

There's really no one way. IIRC he was a radio guy for the Blades and was heavily involved in the organization, paid his dues and moved on up, I could be completely wrong since I'm going by memory, so please don't hold it against me RS. It's a grueling business really. After I messed up my knees I did a bit of pro scouting in handball, but it just wasn't for me at that time. Coaching kids was far more enjoyable, even as a pro bono gig. A lot of travel, a lot of film, and not a lot of money :laugh:

To actually get to somewhere where you can earn enough to compensate all the drawbacks takes a lot of blood, sweat and tears. Only a select few make it, so this accomplishment is all that more impressive. Again, congrats to him.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
There's really no one way. IIRC he was a radio guy for the Blades and was heavily involved in the organization, paid his dues and moved on up, I could be completely wrong since I'm going by memory, so please don't hold it against me RS. It's a grueling business really. After I messed up my knees I did a bit of pro scouting in handball, but it just wasn't for me at that time. Coaching kids was far more enjoyable, even as a pro bono gig. A lot of travel, a lot of film, and not a lot of money :laugh:

To actually get to somewhere where you can earn enough to compensate all the drawbacks takes a lot of blood, sweat and tears. Only a select few make it, so this accomplishment is all that more impressive. Again, congrats to him.

All of this and especially the bold.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Ah the life of a scout. Nothing convinces me that I made the right call more than listening to my friends bitch about constantly traveling across the EU to scout young footballers :laugh:

Reactions: Murzu and Ivan13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad