News Article: A comprehensive list of Khl teams ice surface changes to nhl size dimensions.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Not all teams are changed to the north american or Finnish dimensions Yet but they are mostly already made the dimensions change. Some are allowed variations until renovations or new construction of arenas. It’s About Time – Standardizing Rink Sizes in The KHL To Be More Consistent with NHL

L
ehtonen played on a international size so will still need to adjust his game to it. Figured this is good information when evaluating players coming over to play on the North American size surface.

Reactions: meng666

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Precursor to an eventual KHL-NHL champions series? I don't think anyone would dispute that the KHL is the second best level of hockey in the world.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm guessing the KHL just got hip to the fact they can generate a few rows of premium rink side seating...

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Precursor to an eventual KHL-NHL champions series? I don't think anyone would dispute that the KHL is the second best level of hockey in the world.

I would say the AHL is more in line with the KHL in terms of QoC. The vast majority of KHL All-Stars and top prospects are not really any better (if not quite a bit worse) than the majority of guys you could find in the AHL. They just get paid a lot better in most cases.

So some people could say that the AHL is the second best level of hockey in the world. At the very least I think any kind of respectable AHL squad could keep up with the better KHL squads and crush the weak KHL squads.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
I'm in the minority; but if there was one thing that would improve the game it would be to make the NHL rinks larger. Certainly not a feasible option, but it would dramatically improve the game and allow for an already fast game, even faster allowing for more creativity and offence. It would be much more exciting.

Reactions: brhymes19

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I'm in the minority; but if there was one thing that would improve the game it would be to make the NHL rinks larger. Certainly not a feasible option, but it would dramatically improve the game and allow for an already fast game, even faster allowing for more creativity and offence. It would be much more exciting.

Disagree. The bigger ice just makes it that much easier to keep the puck away from the net and limit scoring chances. NHL dimensions trumps Olympic ice any day.

Reactions: ACC1224

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017

Business =/= common sense.

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
Disagree. The bigger ice just makes it that much easier to keep the puck away from the net and limit scoring chances. NHL dimensions trumps Olympic ice any day.

Bigger ice surface is better. More skill, more speed. Less clutching, hacking, grabbing, slashing. More time and room for the skill guys.

Not even close for me. This coming from someone who enjoys playing very physical.

Shooter14

57 years now and still hoping.
Feb 5, 2018
I've mentioned this many times. The NHL ice surface needs to be 5 feet wider, the length is fine. The players over the years coming in have been getting faster but they have less room to maneuver.There's alot of clutching and grabbing to slow the skill and fast players. It can result in more goal scoring and offensive chances to make the game more exciting, the way it should be played. It would definitely expose the slow players alot more as they wouldn't be able to keep up. But that will never happen as that would mean eliminating the first rows, money lost for the owners.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This all day. Big ice = boring perimeter hockey.
Being able to operate at high speeds in tight spaces is what seperates the great players from the good ones.

Reactions: Brown Dog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad