A case for NHL in Houston!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Either or I don't want 400 billion people in my country, look at dinkholes like India and China where they breed like rabbits. I'm fine with 30 million then I'd rather have 30 million people with jobs and who add to society then 300 million people, 30% of which are on welfair and that population doesn't even get into the immigrant problems your having. Aside from the fact I don't know what your getting at. There's 3 major sports stations in Canada, with great coverage on all four major sports. I can watch basically whatever I want. Canadian Media > American.

Please don't embarass the rest of Canada with your oil tower social views, please.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Now, I'm not from Houston nor have I ever really cared for the city, but I think the NHL should put a team there and here is why.

If you look at your WHA history (the REAL WHA and not the one that pops up every few years) the Aeros were one of the premiere teams in that league, they folded because the owner had the sight to see that the WHA was a dying league and he demanded the team enter the NHL or he'll just fold the team.

Texas is the largest state in the US with the most hockey teams! There is so many kids playing hockey in that state, even the Canadians/Northern appologist have to respect it.

Now we all talk about the other WHA markets that had teams that fled (Hartford, Winnipeg, Quebec), but Houston deserves their due too.

Here is a good site about Houston's hockey history... http://houstonhockey.net/

PEACE! :)

Houston made a hell of a lot more sense than Nashville or Columbus. I think there's a reason why those cities aren't even on the radar in terms of other pro sports leagues, save for one NFL team.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Another point would be that Television/Media in Canada is not very lucrative.
NHL Television contracts are increasing in value in Canada, while decreasing in the US.

There are many US markets that recieve little or no local TV revenue (yes, none, it was in the Nashville article a few threads down). Contrast that to Ottawa, who is in the smallest Canadian TV market and makes on the order of $10M Cdn on their local TV/radio deals.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
NHL Television contracts are increasing in value in Canada, while decreasing in the US.

There are many US markets that recieve little or no local TV revenue (yes, none, it was in the Nashville article a few threads down). Contrast that to Ottawa, who is in the smallest Canadian TV market and makes on the order of $10M Cdn on their local TV/radio deals.

Increasing in Value sure... still nothing substansial like the other leagues. What business doesn't want to grow? The NHL can't work without the US, you know it, I know it, they know it. Unless you want it to be like the CFL, which buy the way has signed a "lucrative contract" with TSN, but still has a lot of red ink.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
CHRDANHUTCH said:
what happens if Alexander doesn't want an NHL Tenant in Houston
Is this another non-sequitur remark?
Actually, it's a pretty valid (but likely moot) point.

Les Alexander has voiced (on multiple occasions) interest in bringing an NHL team to Houston.

If he is involved as owner/partner, the NHL in Houston is possible - if he's not, it isn't. End of story.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Actually, it's a pretty valid (but likely moot) point.

Les Alexander has voiced (on multiple occasions) interest in bringing an NHL team to Houston.

If he is involved as owner/partner, the NHL in Houston is possible - if he's not, it isn't. End of story.

Precisely.

Brad*

Either or I don't want 400 billion people in my country, look at dinkholes like India and China where they breed like rabbits. I'm fine with 30 million then I'd rather have 30 million people with jobs and who add to society then 300 million people, 30% of which are on welfair and that population doesn't even get into the immigrant problems your having. Aside from the fact I don't know what your getting at. There's 3 major sports stations in Canada, with great coverage on all four major sports. I can watch basically whatever I want. Canadian Media > American.
Before you make another post filled with ignorant nonsense, please do a bit of research, because you're terribly wrong in almost everything you said. Honestly, I have to ask. Where do some Canadians get their information about the US? What you posted is some of the most Pejorative Sluredly wrong garbage I've read here. About 2% of the US population receives welfare, not 30%.

Although I don't expect much from someone who doesn't even know how many people are in his own country.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Before you make another post filled with ignorant nonsense, please do a bit of research, because you're terribly wrong in almost everything you said. Honestly, I have to ask. Where do some Canadians get their information about the US? What you posted is some of the most Pejorative Sluredly wrong garbage I've read here. About 2% of the US population receives welfare, not 30%.

Although I don't expect much from someone who doesn't even know how many people are in his own country.
Sadly - from American TV and movies and their own preconceptions.

This ranks up there with my recent exchange on the NHL marketing thread:

deluded canadian: 50% of the US population is black.

me: no its not, its about 12% - <insert US census numbers>

deluded canadian: Well, the vast majority of US cities are black.

me: no they're not, only 2 out of the top 20 cities have majority aftican american populations - <insert more US census numbers>

deluded canadian: blissfull silence.

No, I do not think that all (or even most) Canadians are that ignorant about the US, and I know that many Americans are as ignorant about Canada, but I notice more of these off the wall comments seem to be made by our friends up north.

ShooterMcGavin*

China and India are both third world countries, and my views on USA are correct. Both of my parents are born in the USA, I've been there I have friends there etc. I'm a american citizen. Has nothing to do with me being Canadian. I'm telling you facts. Don't cry. :sarcasm:

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
China and India are both third world countries, and my views on USA are correct. Both of my parents are born in the USA, I've been there I have friends there etc. I'm a american citizen. Has nothing to do with me being Canadian. I'm telling you facts. Don't cry. :sarcasm:

You can be an American citizen, but your views on the United States could not be more wrong.

(And if you really did have the right views about America, you would know that claiming to be an American citizen - and part of our educational system - wouldn't be something to bring up when mentioning your "knowledge" of America :D )

Brad*

No, you're not. You said 30% of the people are on welfare, when in fact the number is around 2%. You are factually wrong. Secondly, you have zero credibility, considering you live in Canada and you don't even know how many people are in that country.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
No, you're not. You said 30% of the people are on welfare, when in fact the number is around 2%. You are factually wrong. Secondly, you have zero credibility, considering you live in Canada and you don't even know how many people are in that country.

THere are twenty-two of us at current count. Was twenty four until T-Fish and Cletus-Bo got tangled up with that rabid seal pup.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground

Third world and 'dinkholes' don't equate in my book of reasonable prose. Americans, feel free to claim this one;)

ShooterMcGavin*

LOL I'm more Canadian then anyone on this forum. The real question is, what have you done for Canada? Nothing. Born and raised in Calgary ya chumps. I guess reality is a no go here on this forum, talk about being ignorant and stubborn.

Brad*

LOL I'm more Canadian then anyone on this forum. The real question is, what have you done for Canada? Nothing. Born and raised in Calgary ya chumps. I guess reality is a no go here on this forum, talk about being ignorant and stubborn.
What reality? You spewed a bunch of crap that is factually inaccurate and you got called on it. I've yet to see you post one thing in this thread that was even remotely correct. Keep trying.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
Shush.

He's more Canadian than any of us, and he's allowed to use broad strokes if he'd like.

He's definitely more Canadian than I. I've only set foot in the country less than 10 times. But, I did go through a period when I drank quite a bit of Labatt's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->