A Cap Hit Compromise

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by Top 6 Spaling, Jul 13, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. Top 6 Spaling

Top 6 Spaling Registered User

An idea for the new CBA. I hope, as a compromise, the cap hit becomes the average of 3 years of the contract (past year, current year, next year).

NOTE- first year is average of the first 3 and last year is average of last 3

Let's look at the Richards deal:

Current Cap Hit/Salary/3 Year Cap Hit
    6.6 /12/ 11
    6.6 /12/ 11
    6.6 /9/ 9.66
    6.6 /8.5/ 8.6
    6.6 /8.5/ 8
    6.6 /7/ ~5.3
    6.6 /1/ 3
    6.6 /1/ 1
    6.6 /1/ 1

Seems like a fair compromise to me

2. cheswick

cheswick Non-registered User

Or they can just make the cap hit what the player is making. I know it's a bizarre idea

3. Top 6 Spaling

That's what I would prefer too, but the owners will never go for it. If it avoids a lockout, i think this is a fair solution

4. DrVanntastic

DrVanntastic Registered User

While I don't have a problem with this idea, I think I'd prefer if they just eliminated salary variations. If a player signs a 5 year $25 mil contract he gets $5 mil each year.

5. Jeffrey Lebowski

Jeffrey Lebowski Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I know it's a bit unlikely but the issue I see with counting just salary is that a team could structure a player's contract to have very obvious 'compete' years where everyone on the team is given less than their worth to have one very competitive year.

I know it's not a perfect example... but say your entire roster needs new contracts. You give all of your star players fair value for the first 2 years, and the 3rd year they all take 1 mil dollar cuts in salary. Your depth players take a 200-500K cut. That opens a huge amount of cap space to sign other star players at even fair value.

Say this situation were to apply to the Hawks:

Toews- 5 mil
    Kane-5 mil
    Hossa-4 mil
    Sharp- 4 mil
    Keith- 4 mil
    Seabrook- 4 mil

Based on their current cap hit, that saves 6 mil right there... just on the stars of the Hawks.

I know it's a bit of a stretch to say that a bunch of players on any given team will take a pay cut in any given year... but for a good chance to win the cup, I'd say there is a possibility of it happening. And obviously, not all of your players will be up for new contracts the same year... but I don't think it would be too complicated to structure a year or two where many players take cuts and said team loads up for a cup run. A calculated average (cap-hit) sort of prevents that... and honestly would be 'circumventing the cap' more than these long term deals IMO. At least some risk comes in when you structure a contract that way... I don't see too many drawbacks in my salary scenario.

Didn't really think this scenario out entirely, just something that I had thought about previously.

6. Top 6 Spaling

Which is why I think 3 would be a fair compromise. It would block those "compete" years while still not allowing for ridiculous backloading.