A Canadien in Team USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
thrill_me_mogilny said:
Are you serious that marital status has anything to do with citizenship?

Yes, it's a fact under U.S. citizenship rules. See Rabid Ranger's post above.

thrill_me_mogilny

May 23, 2003
I know that - I signed up for it myself! I'm just surprised that whether parents are married or not matters for citizenship.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
WHOA, WHOA, WHOA, WHOA

The simple fact is Hull CONSIDERED HIMSELF CANADIAN. He grew up most of his life in Canada, tried out for Canadian hockey teams - NOT American, he simply played for one when he was cut and has stayed ever since - partly because, I suppose, he was greatful they gave him the shot? However, NONE of these other players EVER tried out for/were cut by the country of their birth and then went to play for Canada. It's not like Reghr tried out for team Brazil or Heatley for team Germany. Hull DID try out for Canada, considered himself from the start Canadian - and PROBABLY still considers himself in MANY ways Canadian. Hull plays for America because there was opportunity for him there - it's that simple.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
thome_26 said:
WHOA, WHOA, WHOA, WHOA

The simple fact is Hull CONSIDERED HIMSELF CANADIAN. He grew up most of his life in Canada, tried out for Canadian hockey teams - NOT American, he simply played for one when he was cut and has stayed ever since - partly because, I suppose, he was greatful they gave him the shot? However, NONE of these other players EVER tried out for/were cut by the country of their birth and then went to play for Canada. It's not like Reghr tried out for team Brazil or Heatley for team Germany. Hull DID try out for Canada, considered himself from the start Canadian - and PROBABLY still considers himself in MANY ways Canadian. Hull plays for America because there was opportunity for him there - it's that simple.

Alot of conjecture there cowboy. Hull doesn't really have anything to do with Canada anymore. He's not a citizen, and he doesn't live there, either during the NHL season or off.

Last edited:

thrill_me_mogilny

May 23, 2003
Unless Hull has gone through the paperwork to deny his Canadian citizenship he still has it; I highly doubt he's given it up. You can have more than one citizenship, even in the US.

He plays for the US because they gave him the job. Canada and US both have good teams, regardless of whether he's on them.

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB
This is really a silly argument but I will reply anyway. I am sorry but I tend to believe the link I provided as it came from the Government's offical site and again you may be born American but you still have to apply to get the paper taken care of. Again I have a friend at work that has lived his entire life here and all of his siblings and family are American but he had to apply and reapply because they lost his paperwork. Fine Hull is an American but he was born in Canada and is a Canadian citizen as well. Also, no where in either of these links does it say anything about marital status. It talks about immigration status (i.e., whether you are a legal alien or a U.S. citizen as a parent) but not martial status. Also, to say that Brett Hull has no ties to Canada anymore is wrong. He comes on Hockey night in Canada all the time and talks about how important Hockey is to Canada. Maybe he doesn't live there anymore but he does have ties to Canada. Wayne Gretzky doesn't live in Canada anymore either but you would be hard pressed to say he doesn't have ties. I think Brett Hull has ties to Canada as well but probably not nearly as strongly. The point being he tried out for the Canadian team first and didn't make it. He got onto another team good for him. But please...other Canadian fans can have an opinion about whether he should be on the U.S. or Canadian team. If he wouldn't have been cut from the Canadian team originally this wouldn't even be a discussion.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
thrill_me_mogilny said:
Unless Hull has gone through the paperwork to deny his Canadian citizenship he still has it; I highly doubt he's given it up. You can have more than one citizenship, even in the US.

He plays for the US because they gave him the job. Canada and US both have good teams, regardless of whether he's on them.

You're right. As recently as 2002 Hull indicated he still has dual-citizenship.

BruinsGirl

Aug 27, 2002
Bruinsville, MA
Visit site
thrill_me_mogilny said:

It's interesting how dual citizenship works.

When I was getting my US citizenship I read that USA doesn't support dual citizenship. It didn't metter for me as my former country Ukraine doesn't support it either (I have to buy visa now!!!).

I don't understand clearly this "support" term. :dunno:

By the way it's funny how my nationality have changed from Russian to USA!

In former USSR nationality was something that couldn't change no metter where you lived. For example I was Russian living in Ukraine...we had many Jews, Russians, Georgians etc...they didn't become Ukrainians just because they were living there.

Leetchie

Mar 3, 2002
Hillsborough, NJ
Visit site
Kolzig

For those of you comparing Olaf Kolzig to Dany Heatley... let's just stop that right there.

I'm not sure about their parents -- although I do believe Kolzig has German in his ancestry due to his name -- but I do know facts.

Olaf Kolzig wasn't even born in Germany. He was born in Johannesburg, South Africa, to German parents, and is allowed to play for Team Germany. He played his junior hockey in the WHL.

Dany Heatley was born in Freiburg, West Germany, to what I believe are Canadian parents.

As far as I'm concerned, a person should only have one "citizenship/nationality", but could have several different origins (and most do). I don't see where you draw the line, unless you go up the family tree and determine what percentage of the person's blood is from which country.

The first option should be the country of birth. If a player has a problem with that, let him apply for citizenship with another country.

Brett Hull was turned down to play for Team Canada -- so what's so wrong about trying out for another team? If Canada didn't need him so bad, they sure could have used him on their bench instead of on the ice when he scored the game-tying goal in Game 3 of the 1996 World Cup.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Leetchie said:
For those of you comparing Olaf Kolzig to Dany Heatley... let's just stop that right there.

I'm not sure about their parents -- although I do believe Kolzig has German in his ancestry due to his name -- but I do know facts.

Olaf Kolzig wasn't even born in Germany. He was born in Johannesburg, South Africa, to German parents, and is allowed to play for Team Germany. He played his junior hockey in the WHL.

Dany Heatley was born in Freiburg, West Germany, to what I believe are Canadian parents.

As far as I'm concerned, a person should only have one "citizenship/nationality", but could have several different origins (and most do). I don't see where you draw the line, unless you go up the family tree and determine what percentage of the person's blood is from which country.

The first option should be the country of birth. If a player has a problem with that, let him apply for citizenship with another country.

Brett Hull was turned down to play for Team Canada -- so what's so wrong about trying out for another team? If Canada didn't need him so bad, they sure could have used him on their bench instead of on the ice when he scored the game-tying goal in Game 3 of the 1996 World Cup.
Forget about country of birth or blood ties. A player should play for the country he is a citizen of. It's that simple.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Vyacheslav said:
Isn't this how it works already?
The IIHF system in place right now is fair, I have nothing to complain about. As for the World Cup, I don't know. When I see the likes of Zubrus who has never played for Russia before, I wonder if he should be on the team. Is he a Russian citizen?

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Canuck21t said:
The IIHF system in place right now is fair, I have nothing to complain about. As for the World Cup, I don't know. When I see the likes of Zubrus who has never played for Russia before, I wonder if he should be on the team. Is he a Russian citizen?

The IIHF mandate was/is once you play for a country in international competition (read: in IIHF sanctioned events), you can only play for that country. That was why there was a hubbub with Nabakov playing for Russia since he suited up for the Kazakh junior team several years ago.

Coburnfan05

Feb 20, 2004
SOB Southern Ontario
Rabid Ranger said:
The IIHF mandate was/is once you play for a country in international competition (read: in IIHF sanctioned events), you can only play for that country. That was why there was a hubbub with Nabakov playing for Russia since he suited up for the Kazakh junior team several years ago.

I always thought this was the case but Peter Nedved played for Team Canada (I think world jrs.) then went on to play for the Czecks.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
GagsIsDaMan said:
I always thought this was the case but Peter Nedved played for Team Canada (I think world jrs.) then went on to play for the Czecks.

Nedved played for Canada at the Olympics ('94). I can't remember the other event(s) he's played for the Czech Republic in. World Cup?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
There are also issues with the disolutions of the Eastern Bloc. Darius Kasparitus is Lithuianian by birth, but still plays for Russia. I think Nabakov is going over to Team Russia despite being a Kazak.

The citizenship issue would mean more to me if the two countries in question weren't celebrated melting pots. As for players like Kolzig just because he was raised outside of Germany doesn't necissarily mean he doesn't identify as a German.

And if you want to get on a high horse about Hull, didn't the Canadian gold medal relay team all come out of the caribean?

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Rabid Ranger said:
The new IIHF rule allows a player to switch country once in his lifetime.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Rabid Ranger said:
Nedved played for Canada at the Olympics ('94). I can't remember the other event(s) he's played for the Czech Republic in. World Cup?
Yes, Nedved played for Canada at the Lillehammer Olympics which was under the IIHF rules. He then played for the Czech Republic at the '96 World Cup which was not under the IIHF rules.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Harper said:
And Owen Nolan, isn't he Irish or Scottish?

owen nolan was born in northern ireland, but i think he moved to canada when he was like 8 months old or something...

The True Blue Crew

Jun 11, 2004
steps to the ACC
BLONG7 said:
He was once cut from Team Canada by Dave King, he then vowed he would never play for Canada again... and he has kept his promise!

exactly. and there are rules, once you represent one nation you can never play for different country other than the one you played before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->