A broadcast without announcers

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
If you watch on TV it should be easy enough to sync the game to the radio if you have to PVR. Pause the game on puck drop and once you hear the puck drop on the radio push play. If you are like me and watch games on Gamecenter I'm not sure if it is possible

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Play by play is analogous to sitcom laugh tracks. If the product is good, and that especially includes the video production/editing, the play by play enhancement is completely unnecessary.

We have to remember that the television on-air talent would make a huge stink if they ever went this direction. These people live to be seen and heard. And it's really scary for organizations like the NHL and Rogers to rely solely on the sports' product as it varies greatly from game to game. The on-air talent are hype men for the product. They level out the product making the bad games seem more like the good games.

However, if I'm the NHL and its less than lucrative television deal I'd jump in head first on this. The ubiquitous bad press the NHL received in the U.S. sports media is rapidly becoming a thing of the past. The NHL setting itself apart from the other leagues would be a competitive edge to a younger market increasingly cynical about overt hype. And it wouldn't take much at all: any stream/broadcast can have multiple audio tracks simultaneously.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Unfortunately this hasn’t been an option for the past several years (at least in Saskatchewan!)...afaik, once Rogers took over the HNIC broadcast, they stopped showing the actual games in 5.1 surround. The pre/intermission/post game is still 5.1, but the actual hockey is just stereo in a 5.1 container. It’s really really stupid.

I think it was last season, when they streamed a few games in VR/360 video, that feed had no commentary, it was ****ing glorious. I synced that audio up to my PVR video and had the best night of my life. LOL.

Connect your cable box with RCA cables to your receiver and use the pro logic decoder instead of streaming in digital. So it's still doable using my method.

Reactions: OddyOh

OddyOh

Really, Healy?
Aug 18, 2010
Regina, SK
Connect your cable box with RCA cables to your receiver and use the pro logic decoder instead of streaming in digital. So it's still doable using my method.

I’m actually using an antenna, over the air, one of those HDHomeRun tuners. But you’ve given me some ideas to think about.

Ideally they should just add a “ballpark” audio feed to the streaming games like MLB has.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
Just put on Joe Bowen on the radio and mute the TV.

But ya I'd be interested in that, commentary isn't very necessary when watching hockey.
There can be a surprising delay between Radio and TV so you are watching stuck in the past
I was watching the Raptors game on TV, and listening to the Radio - the game was in Milwaukee
The TV is usually slower than radio because more steps involved with TV the technology that has Radio too fast
Hockey should be broadcast like English Premiership soccer- 1 guy in the booth so that the broadcast is not too damn talky!

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If you watch on TV it should be easy enough to sync the game to the radio if you have to PVR. Pause the game on puck drop and once you hear the puck drop on the radio push play. If you are like me and watch games on Gamecenter I'm not sure if it is possible

If I’m home alone I like to put game on outdoors and in the den and I can never get the games synced and when I do I mess it up by pausing...baseball is impossible....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad