A broadcast without announcers

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
I'd love to watch a game how it is live, with only the ambient sounds and without these ridiculous announcers.

The talking heads are so bad, would any of you pay for a broadcast without announcers?

Pay for cable, build yourself a surround sound system, unplug the center speaker when the game is on. And bang! The broadcast now has all the sound without commentaries.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I'd love to watch a game how it is live, with only the ambient sounds and without these ridiculous announcers.
I'd be happy with paying extra to pick my own announcer.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Pretty sure you can do that with NHL Live on one of the alternate cameras.

edit: guess you'd need a vpn to avoid the blackouts

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

The talking heads are so bad, would any of you pay for a broadcast without announcers?

mute button?

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Just put on Joe Bowen on the radio and mute the TV.

But ya I'd be interested in that, commentary isn't very necessary when watching hockey.

Reactions: AreBe

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Many years ago the NFL did a game with just the sound of the game, crowd and a stats ticker. It was really interesting.

I remember that. I had to look it up to confirm my suspicion about how long ago it was.
Dec 20, 1980......ouch!

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

Absolutely. Have been saying that for years. I’d pay extra for that.

Just mic the ice... not specific players. Just the game.

And don’t magnify the composite stick smacks. Almost more annoying than glass bangers...

Last edited:

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
What I sometimes do, especially if I'm watching an NBC broadcast with Doc & Pierre, is I just mute my laptop. Silence is better sometimes, or music.

Really wish I had a sound system tbh but I usually watch games on the PC.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan

15-20 years ago there was a strike at CBC and there was no play by play or colour commentary.
It was awesome.
Hits along the board was louder, shots were louder. You can ear the refs players shouting.
It's the next best thing to actually being there

Flipwon

Jun 25, 2018
15-20 years ago there was a strike at CBC and there was no play by play or colour commentary.
It was awesome.
Hits along the board was louder, shots were louder. You can ear the refs players shouting.
It's the next best thing to actually being there

This would be amazing.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
And yet, I have been at games where people watch/listen to the game on TV/radio to get the commentary and replays. Weird or what?

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I do enjoy the commentary.

Unfortunately, some of the clowns we get make it really hard to. Is it too much to ask for some dudes who actually like the Leafs? Bartlett is fine because at least he doesn't hate us ffs.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018

Boys, I think we have a Double Agent here! Were you motivated to make this post after a recent experience? Possibly, say, the Habs game last night when they had technical problems and all the viewers could hear was the sounds in the arena (the reason I had that game on is beyond the scope of this posting). :)

The way I see it, commentators are also there to bring "excitement" to the game and keep your attention even though the game is dull, or nothing is going on in terms of offense or actual goals. Describing a pass or teams fighting for the puck in the corner for 30 seconds. It fills the time with sound as you watch, gives your brain something to consume until a goal, a power play (the chance of a goal), some intense action or,
back when they used to, a fight or big hit.

When the 1990's Devils were playing the most boring trap happy hockey, with clutching and grabbing it took a great deal of effort to make the game sounds exciting, it simply wasn't. These guys today have it easy in comparison. They also fill the time in between some of the whistles, bring you insight, talk stats or stories around the campfire to fill the airtime. At other times, advertisers will entertain you and sell you some junk.

It's nice to listen to the game as one might hear it while attending it live, but, after so many years of being conditioned to hearing a commentator when watching at home, it would take getting used to.

OddyOh

Really, Healy?
Aug 18, 2010
Regina, SK
Pay for cable, build yourself a surround sound system, unplug the center speaker when the game is on. And bang! The broadcast now has all the sound without commentaries.

Unfortunately this hasn’t been an option for the past several years (at least in Saskatchewan!)...afaik, once Rogers took over the HNIC broadcast, they stopped showing the actual games in 5.1 surround. The pre/intermission/post game is still 5.1, but the actual hockey is just stereo in a 5.1 container. It’s really really stupid.

I think it was last season, when they streamed a few games in VR/360 video, that feed had no commentary, it was f***ing glorious. I synced that audio up to my PVR video and had the best night of my life. LOL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->