A Boom and a Bust (EDM/CGY duos)

C/RW Draisaitl/RW Puljujarvi or LW Tkachuk/C/LW Bennett

• Total voters

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
DISCLAIMER - IM NOT TRYING TO CREATE SOME **** show, just genuinely curious on HF’s opinion, especially fans that are not of the Oilers or Flames. I was just thinking about this the other day:

Which duo would you rather have on your team?

Draisaitl/Puljujarvi
M. Tkachuk/Bennett

While i don’t see Puljujarvi and Bennett as busts like some people say on here, they most certainly haven’t played up to their maximum potential at all. So, for the sake of this poll we’ll call them busts! Draisaitl and Tkachuk on the other hand are insanely good in their respective roles as top tier top 6 forwards, playing in all kinds of situations. These two are your boom players.

So, which duo do you take? I made 6 poll options to see the results at every angle.

Curious as to what you guys think since there is a 2014 and a 2016 pick in both.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I wouldn’t trade Tkachuk for Draisaitl, but I feel like they’re similar in value. Bennett for Puljujarvi could actually be a beneficial swap for both teams/players.

Bennett is a strange case because people will defend him to the grave, talking about how he’s just snake bitten, or about how he generates lots of high danger scoring chances. It never ends up in actual results though. Most Flames fans will tell you this start to the season is the best stretch of games he’s ever played, but it’s still only resulted in 3 points. His hands still can’t quite keep up with his feet, but he loves to come flying to crash the net, which I think contributes to the whole “high danger opportunities without results” thing. He’s still an effective grinder and he’s been throwing big hits every game.

As a Flames fan, I would probably just keep what we have, and I wouldn’t blame Oilers fans for feeling the same way about their players.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
It's Edmonton, although Draisaitl and Tkachuk are way closer than many people think. I choose the Oilers by a hair

Bond

May 10, 2012
I think it depends on the contract Matthew signs this summer. If it close to Drais then I take the Edmonton duo.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Draisaitl + Puljujarvi = 9.425 mil cap hit.

Bennett + Tkachuk = 2.875 mil cap hit.

Drai is the only one not turning RFA next year, which accounts for the large difference in cap hit, but once they have their new contracts I'd still expect the Calgary pair to be less by a fair amount (thank you Chiapet),

In which case I take the Calgary pair. Draisaitl is best player of the four but he's not THAT much better that'd I'd pick him + Puljujarvi (the weakest of the four) over the Calgary pair PLUS the difference in cap hit (to spend elsewhere).

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
I would have voted for Edmonton duo, but chose to not vote at all because the massive difference in contracts.

If contract situation is taken into account, I'd say Calgary (I don't think Tkachuk is going to get more than 6-6.5m per).
As far as player talent goes, Edmonton has an edge IMO.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Calgary's duo rather easily. the grit they provide holds a lot of value. If Drai and Poolparty stops scoring points they are useless. Bennett can still be a awesome 3rd liner with grit and provide occasional offense.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'd take the guy who can be a ~ppg #1 Center in Draisaitl over the lower-scoring winger. Tkachuk's "grit" isn't closing that gap in proven scoring ability and positional value of strictly a winger. Throwing in Pool guy doesn't really move the needle much, but i'd take that Edmonton duo just to get the best piece on offer here. A Top-9 C/W in Bennett isn't enough value to swing things either.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I'd take the guy who can be a ~ppg #1 Center in Draisaitl over the lower-scoring winger. Tkachuk's "grit" isn't closing that gap in proven scoring ability and positional value of strictly a winger. Throwing in Pool guy doesn't really move the needle much, but i'd take that Edmonton duo just to get the best piece on offer here. A Top-9 C/W in Bennett isn't enough value to swing things either.
That’s fair. I’m sure if Bennett had produced a tad more over his career (minimum .5ppg) Calgary would be having the edge.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Draisaitl is far and away the best player. Pretty easy choice.

It’s also hilarious every time Tkachuk tries to hit Draisaitl, he just bounces off him to the ice on his ass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->