A blessing in disguise??

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
This thread has re-vist on it, if one of Bolland or Kadri go down while Bozak is out.

Then blessing in disguise may well turn out to be the worst thread this year for us. Tempting fate?

Very tempting, but I would rather the Leafs not get ****ed, Kadri do well on the first line, then Bozak come back and move Kadri down to 2nd line so we once again have 2 threatening scoring lines.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Very tempting, but I would rather the Leafs not get ****ed, Kadri do well on the first line, then Bozak come back and move Kadri down to 2nd line so we once again have 2 threatening scoring lines.

As great as Bolland has been for us this year, one thing he has not escaped the past few years is the injury bug. Partly due to the way he plays. If Bolland and Bozak are out for any amount of time, tempting fate may be a death sentence to our season.

Kadri, Mcclement, Smith, Mckegg.

I don't like the chances playing Pittsburg with that lineup.

Being happy when one of our key players is down, is never a good idea.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
I like it but I think having Raymond with Bozak and Kulemin would inhibit his production....

I personally think you should not put your eggs in one basket

JVR - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri
Raymond - Bolland

Fill in the rest

This makes sense to me. Spread the offence, and force the opponent to pick their poison. And as much as I like the way the loaded top line looked last night, considering the way the defence jumps up on the rush this season (way more than in prior years, especially with Rielly), the centremen need to be extra aware of their defensive zone coverage. They will often need to take responsibility to cover for the defensemen should they choose to join a rush and make it an odd man opportunity (of course, if they're up ice, a winger should cover, it's all situational). Perhaps three offence first guys on one top line hinders that approach?

I remember last night a play near the end of the 2nd period where Franson made a nice play deep in the defensive zone, and put a pass right on Bolland's tape as he was pressured by a Penguin forward. Bolland was standing still, closer to the blue line, and he quickly moved the puck up ice with a bank pass to Clarkson, and right then and there Morgan Rielly joined the rush, while Bolland stayed back to cover. Ended up with a two-on-one chance with Raymond and Rielly. The more we can spread two-way players around, the more likely the defence are comfortable playing the full rink and generating even more offence.

Last edited:

Tyler Biggs*

I have to admit Kadri is rock solid on the first line. I know Kessel, Bozak, and JVR have played together for a long time, but Kadri looks great with them too!

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I like it but I think having Raymond with Bozak and Kulemin would inhibit his production....

JVR - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri
Raymond - Bolland

Fill in the rest

This. Kadri's on the first line because of neccessity... and that's the only reason he should be there. The Kessel/JvR line isn't going to produce substantially more than the goal per game they've produced with Bozak. Kadri really can't help Kessel/JvR, but Lupul is a lot better when he's got a creative guy like Kadri on his line.

Kadri's creativity, combined with Lupul's ability, make for an extremely dangerous 2nd unit... especially if they have Clarkson or Kulemin creating space.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I prefer to use NHL.com for stats instead of pulling them out of my ass.

McClement 49.4%
Bozak 46.2%
Kadri 46%
Bolland 42.7%

That bucket Stamkos is 43.2% on the dot.

pretty sure he was refering to Kadri's 36% FO% from last night

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
My issue with Kadri on the first line is that championship teams have 1cs that are tough to play against.
Kadri can create offense, throw a mean body check occasionally but he's not hard on the puck and easy to knock off it. He draws a lot of penalties, but in the playoffs when the ref's arm is glued, it will become turnovers, not PPs

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I'm very excited to see what Kadri can do with Kessel and JVR for an extended period.

I hope this comes permanent and Bozak hits our 3rd line.

Kadri
Bolland
Bozak

hockeyfanz*

Hahaha, I knew this was about Bozak. Trade zee bum.

Trade? Kidding me? You think there is a high demand for a 4.25M dollar 3rd or 4th line center? Nowhere that it is not named Toronto will take him at that price. And certainly won't be giving up assets to acquire him.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
People are too worried about titles around here.
Kadri is definitely better offensively than Bozak but putting Kadri on the second line with Lupul gives us more balanced scoring and making us a much harder team to shutdown.

Who cares who gets called the number 1 center.

Agreed. People dump on Bozak saying he isn't a #1 center. Bottom line, he isn't. Kadri and Bolland are our best two centers, Bozak is 3rd, but nothing wrong with spreading the offence around the forwards. People in Anaheim don't call Perry a 2nd line winger when he gets moved off Getlzaf's line to spread the offense around.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009

JVR - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri
Raymond - Bolland

Fill in the rest

I agree but would make one change.
Bolland and Clarkson together.

When healthy, would love to see this:

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Kulemin
Raymond-Bolland-Clarkson
McLaren-McLement-Orr

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I agree but would make one change.
Bolland and Clarkson together.

When healthy, would love to see this:

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Kulemin
Raymond-Bolland-Clarkson
McLaren-McLement-Orr

This. The top 2 lines speak for themselves and did so last year. Raymond-Bolland-Clarkson is a group that you can line up against the other team's best... they'll keep the other team's stars far away from our net, and chip in with the occasional goal as well. Not the best use of Clarkson's $5.2m... but best for the team.

Alexanderthe89

Apr 29, 2011
People are too worried about titles around here.
Kadri is definitely better offensively than Bozak but putting Kadri on the second line with Lupul gives us more balanced scoring and making us a much harder team to shutdown.

Who cares who gets called the number 1 center.

The same people who worry that we don't have a 1D.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
it's not a long shot... we seen Kadri at his best

being a #1 center isnt a dream too far out of reach

#thedream

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
I think the way Carlyle arranged the PP units last game is a big indication of why he sets up the lines the way he does.

Even with Kadri playing top line even strength, he still moved Bolland on to the first power play unit and kept Kadri on the second one.

I think it's all about depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad