A big hot steaming pile of take!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthiasRhieland

Jan 8, 2019
It is absurd to even think about trading him. Yes. There are probably other qualities I can say to describe how absurd it is but I'll leave it at that.

Well I am not surprised to see a fan who grows emotionally attached to their top players to not want to trade their top players unless said players are underachieving, which he is not. (not including current small sample size)

MatthiasRhieland

Jan 8, 2019
and they're 9-9-2 in their last 20

Very strange to go back 20 games to refer to 'currently', if its progressively getting worse for sometime and their most recent has now dropped well below .500, i wouldn't say theyre CURRENTLY playing .500 hockey.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Well I am not surprised to see a fan who grows emotionally attached to their top players to not want to trade their top players unless said players are underachieving, which he is not. (not including current small sample size)

How is it being emotionally attached to a player? I like my team to have good players and he's a great player. This isn't an emotional opinion. They are facts.

I'm sorry for wanting my team to keep good players? Maybe we should try having bad players instead?

I'll let you guys go back to your ranting though.

Reactions: stickty111

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Stayed away last night because I would rather say nothing than something that might make me look like a fool later. Team is not playing well, coaches probably overthinking, PP sucks, D sucks, many players not scoring etc. etc. etc.

All I can suggest is that we pick a set of lines and stick with them. Stop shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic. Give the forwards a chance to gel and take pride in their line.

Reactions: Notsince67

MatthiasRhieland

Jan 8, 2019
How is it being emotionally attached to a player? I like my team to have good players and he's a great player. This isn't an emotional opinion. They are facts.

I'm sorry for wanting my team to keep good players? Maybe we should try having bad players instead?

thats my point, teams fans rather have a player they know and have invested emotionally into vs one who is comparable but that might add more in terms of what a team needs to win, who they have not invested anything into.

some see the big picture of what you need in order to win it all, compare to other cup contenders and top teams and see the flaws. and willing to be open to the idea. then there are unbiased fans of hockey that have no emotionally investment into the team that can see things a little clearer.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The Leafs are still in a rebuild. They are expected to make the playoffs and maybe win a round if they get the right match up. I wouldn’t say they are complete garbage.

But, for a little perspective, take Washington and Nashville for example, both of those teams have lost games in the past 2 weeks to lesser teams that cause you shake your head. Nashville got beat by Florida on home ice the other night and looked like never played together before and have had some dreadful outings, lately.

All this to say, it happens.

My advice; adhere to that old adage “they’re not as good as you think they are when they’re hot, not as bad as you think they are when they’re cold”.

MatthiasRhieland

Jan 8, 2019
The Leafs are still in a rebuild. They are expected to make the playoffs and maybe win a round if they get the right match up. I wouldn’t say they are complete garbage.

But, for a little perspective, take Washington and Nashville for example, both of those teams have lost games in the past 2 weeks to lesser teams that cause you shake your head. Nashville got beat by Florida on home ice the other night and looked like never played together before and have had some dreadful outings, lately.

All this to say, it happens.

My advice; adhere to that old adage “they’re not as good as you think they are when they’re hot, not as bad as you think they are when they’re cold”.

overall, true true

but as far as still being in a rebuild? how can a team picking late and without pieces to trade and lacking on d be in a rebuild still? dubas seems pretty content with his core and not open to trading anybody in the core, including nylander. i wouldn't say this is a rebuilding team at all. and the guys outside the core do not hold alot of value. besides gardiner but thats taking from the already lacking d group

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
Dubas hasn't even been here for a year.

Arguably our 2 best stars aren't even out of their ELCs.

We finished in last place less than 3 years ago.

Everyone .... WE GOTTA KEEP OUR COMPOSURE!

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
overall, true true

but as far as still being in a rebuild? how can a team picking late and without pieces to trade and lacking on d be in a rebuild still? dubas seems pretty content with his core and not open to trading anybody in the core, including nylander. i wouldn't say this is a rebuilding team at all

You don't trade players like Matthews. You build around them. To answer your question. You draft well like TB has. As far as trades, Dubas has to determine which forwards can be sacrificed for a dman but I see that happening in the summer unless he wants to move Kadri before the TD. For now, look for cheap alternatives and hold on for the ride.

MatthiasRhieland

Jan 8, 2019
Dubas hasn't even been here for a year.

Arguably our 2 best stars aren't even out of their ELCs.

We finished in last place less than 3 years ago.

Everyone .... WE GOTTA KEEP OUR COMPOSURE!

winning a lotto and having a hometown top center in the league sign with you for free helps. doesn't take away from the flaws

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Very strange to go back 20 games to refer to 'currently', if its progressively getting worse for sometime and their most recent has now dropped well below .500, i wouldn't say theyre CURRENTLY playing .500 hockey.
Yet if we talk about a player’s last 20 games it’s just a small sample size.

Reactions: SoVi3t

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Why is a Euro/OHL vibe a bad thing?
Individually, both entities have a long history of producing championship hockey players at every level.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
A huge mistake management made was grabbing Andersen at the time they did when they should have rode a few more years in the basement playing the likes of Johnny Bernier and the grinders, collecting assets and slowly developing their top prospects. Instead they've rushed things and have to dole out giant inflated contracts, creating massively unrealistic expectations for these players to uphold within the Toronto pressure-cooker. The fan-base would have been fine waiting another few years in the basement, but no, apparently we had to jump to win-now mode because we got the shiny #1 pick and a few players managed 60 points. This is a rushed rebuild all over again with a bit of bad luck to make things worse.

With Andersen we made the playoffs and then finished 6th overall the following season. According to you, without him we stay in the basement for a few more years. We stay in the basement with Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly, Kadri etc. Really?

Chill out dude. I'm not happy at all with the way we're playing but the very idea that we "should have" stayed in the basement for a few more years is just nuts.

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
winning a lotto and having a hometown top center in the league sign with you for free helps. doesn't take away from the flaws

I mean ... Ya it does ... ?

I think everyone needs to let this whole thing develop a bit here. We don't have a ton of assets to trade (might have been different if we didn't make moves for 4th line centers the last few years but that's another issue), I think everyone is gonna have a heart attack when we take a step back next year BUT the thing is - were set up to be a playoff team for the next 10+ years in which we have given ourselves a long time line to take many runs at the cup and tinker for what were missing and need.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
overall, true true

but as far as still being in a rebuild? how can a team picking late and without pieces to trade and lacking on d be in a rebuild still? dubas seems pretty content with his core and not open to trading anybody in the core, including nylander. i wouldn't say this is a rebuilding team at all. and the guys outside the core do not hold alot of value. besides gardiner but thats taking from the already lacking d group

Simple, they don’t have D they want and they’re still short a couple of forwards.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
That's what frustrates me so much about Matthews. He has all the tools AND the toolbox but just has no god damn snare to his game, no second gear and for some reason he's like physiological clone of glassman Joffrey Lupul. It's like he was raised on his mothers tit until he was 14 or something. Get pissed off once in a while dude, you're the biggest guy on the team and the most talented! That's what's so mind-numbing and he's gunna want 10+mil ffs? Righhhhttt...

He just oozes potential but I'm not sure we're ever going to see what he could have been. He needs to join a Toronto fight club or something and stop playing like a balerina. I take that back, he probably knows if he throws one punch his arm will fly off and he'll be out for the next 3 years...

You can work out at the air conditioned gym for 16 hours. It never translates to a 14 hour long day at the farm with some punishing nature elements.

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018
What? All I asked was what was the great points you brought up. I read the whole thing and the only I got of it was pure emotional hot takes without any substance. I'm supposed to guess what is hypothetical statements and was is not I guess?

Sounds good to me.

You need glasses apparently. Telling everyone else they make no sense when most of your replies are just dancing around nothing and being condescending. So here's some right back. Like I said, you're blind if you can't see how this core will pan out. No one else had an issue with understanding my points other than you, hmmmm wonder who's lost in the woods here..
It may be a self-proclaimed hot take but it's not as irrational and emotional as you're making it out to be. If you think it is, you're in denial.

MatthiasRhieland

Jan 8, 2019
You don't trade players like Matthews. You build around them. To answer your question. You draft well like TB has. As far as trades, Dubas has to determine which forwards can be sacrificed for a dman but I see that happening in the summer unless he wants to move Kadri before the TD. For now, look for cheap alternatives and hold on for the ride.

thats what you hear in media and hear repeated often because thats what happens, why? not because it's always the best move you can make but because for multiple other reasons. firstly a gm is not trading a top player for a top player, no matter what, unless theyre underachieving. you hold onto all your good players. fans become emotionally invested into them and fans pay for everything. you also chance losing a trade in most scenarios, as you do of winning a trade. but any chance at all, you dont do it.

but this doesn't change the fact that if you are unhappy with the core and if you dont see it being the one good enough to win it all, that its absurd for a fan to want a gm to make the move. fans care about cups. gms care about their resume, career longevity, etc - alot would be very happy to be apart of a successful team for a while, and only then when the pressure is REALLY on to take it to the next level, would they start looking at that. because again, the owners put the pressure on them and now their job becomes at risk again

MatthiasRhieland

Jan 8, 2019
thats what you hear in media and hear repeated often because thats what happens, why? not because it's always the best move you can make but because for multiple other reasons. firstly a gm is not trading a top player for a top player, no matter what, unless theyre underachieving. you hold onto all your good players. fans become emotionally invested into them and fans pay for everything. you also chance losing a trade in most scenarios, as you do of winning a trade. but any chance at all, you dont do it.

but this doesn't change the fact that if you are unhappy with the core and if you dont see it being the one good enough to win it all, that its absurd for a fan to want a gm to make the move. fans care about cups. gms care about their resume, career longevity, etc - alot would be very happy to be apart of a successful team for a while, and only then when the pressure is REALLY on to take it to the next level, would they start looking at that. because again, the owners put the pressure on them and now their job becomes at risk again

tampa could have ended up better or perhaps have a cup already if they traded stamkos in his prime for the crazy amount of consistent top forwards in the game who perhaps were a couple years younger or were more heavy in pts than goals, or maybe even cheaper and continued to draft who they did after. and i think theres little risk that they would have ended up worse

youre also talking about teams who stuck with players who were the best in the game. i think the OP doesn't believe he is, or will be. i think thats where the disconnect often is

if you disagree on what matthews is, then every debate after that is pointless and of course it doesn't make sense to you

Last edited:

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018
all I see here are a bunch of idiots with childish, temper tantrum like, reactions to a bunch of loses.

Grow up.

Wake up. No one cares about the losses. There's a systemtic fault in this team. I don't give a damn I just know it's true. Same ol' bs we've been fed forever. Only child I've noticed here is you with that pompous and insulting post.

Reactions: Cobra777

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
You can work out at the air conditioned gym for 16 hours. It never translates to a 14 hour long day at the farm with some punishing nature elements.
So what we need is our players to take up joining a fight club or ... farming?

What in the world is going on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad