Proposal: A.Athanasiou (DET) for M.Granlund (NSH)

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
posted this on the trade board, but want Wings fans opinions.

Athanasiou (DET) for M.Granlund (NSH)

Both Top 6 F's. I think this helps both teams as AA is a natural LW/RW who can play C if needed. Granlund is a natural C, who can play W. Both are slumping this year, while Granlund's slump started after his trade to NSH last season, so ~37gp. He may just need a change of scenery and/or NSH isn't a good fit for him. AA started the year injured & had a 4th liner (Glendening) as his C & a 3rd liner/rookie Hirose, until the last few games, now has 35 yr. old Filppula & Fabbri as linemates.

AA: amazing: skater, dekes, hands, shot (especially wrister & 1-timer), blazing speed, (as fast as Larkin & McDavid, if not slightly faster.). Decent size/strength. 25, RFA. His breakaways/speed alone can be game-breakers. Had 30G (54 pts.) last year, many of those were 5on5 goals playing with 3rd/4th liners, so much so that he's in elite company (look it up if you don't believe me). We just don't have a good 2C yet, hopefully Veleno is ready within 2-3 seasons max.

Granlund: 27, UFA, great playmaker, primary assists, 5on 5 prouduction etc. Anybody know what he's looking for on his next contract $/term/clause(s)?

A swap would save NSH $2.75M on cap this season to add additional piece(s) by TDL for a cup run (they're poised & WC is wide open).

Maybe a small add from NSH (a 3rd?) as they're saving $2.75M. Fair trade? why/why not? +/- to balance it out, add reason(s). Granlund must agree to new contract w/Wings prior to trade.

Last edited:

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
As frustrating as AA can be, I don't like the idea of trading him for anyone who is an impending UFA. Are you talking a sign and trade?

Reactions: Sentinel

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I'd rather keep AA, sure he's very flawed at times but he still has tremendous upside even if he goes back and forth in the future between 2nd and 3rd line duties. We saw last year how he can make plays and change games, I think somewhere in the farm is our #2 center. Just keep rolling with our home grown talent and making the odd tweak or two for the next year or so and hope we get some draft lottery luck. The Fabbri deal was great, and those types of moves don't have much risk.

bedtime20

nap nap
Nov 30, 2018
Metro Detroit
Right now AA is in a huge slump when he plays at his his best he is as good as Larkin and he can play wing and center with his speed he is too good to trade away for our rebuilding team he seams to be getting better so we mine as well sign him for couple of years and not trade him for a bad return

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I'm one of those who believe you when you say AA is in elite company. We haven't seen his level of goalscoring since Hossa. So I don't want to trade him, and if we do it better be for someone f***ing good.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
i either keep aa with the outlook he needs a better center + better dmen + more time to develop til in like 2 seasons fron now hes a monster second line winger with veleno and zadina on the line , at which time we become a top 10 team . or i trade him for a blue chip center or d prospect , or late 1st to draft a C or D because were still no where near stacked at either position . but if granlund hits the ufa market im interested in adding the free asset at right cost

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
definitely don't want to trade for someone older considering our window is still 3+ years away

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Rather use AA as trade bait to go after a young(ER) number 1 defensemen. IDK who but that's what we really need.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Rather use AA as trade bait to go after a young(ER) number 1 defensemen. IDK who but that's what we really need.
Yeah, I am in no hurry to trade AA and I think he will look much better once we have Veleno on the roster. We could also end up with Byfield and that would mean AA could play on a line with him or Larkin with the worst case being on a line with Veleno. I do believe with a good center AA can be a consistent 30 goal scorer. How many of those guys do we currently have?

With that being said I'd be fine with including AA in a trade, I would prefer it to be for a younger d-man who can be a top 3 d-man. I don't trade him for a middle six winger who scores 15ish goals a year who will turn 28 this season.

Hard pass.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Lol.

Tell me who scored goals better than AA since Hossa.

Scored better? I mean Larkin literally had more goals than AA last year. What kind of question is this? Franzen scored better than AA ever has. Mantha is a better true goal scorer than AA will ever be. A single 30 goal season built upon an abnormal amount of odd man rushes and breakaways doesn’t make Athanasiou a great goal scorer.

You compared AA to someone with 500+ career goals. Someone who was one of the better two way wingers during his career. Someone who had a substantial impact in every facet of the game.

Easily the worst take I’ve ever read on this site.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Yeah, I am in no hurry to trade AA and I think he will look much better once we have Veleno on the roster. We could also end up with Byfield and that would mean AA could play on a line with him or Larkin with the worst case being on a line with Veleno. I do believe with a good center AA can be a consistent 30 goal scorer. How many of those guys do we currently have?

With that being said I'd be fine with including AA in a trade, I would prefer it to be for a younger d-man who can be a top 3 d-man. I don't trade him for a middle six winger who scores 15ish goals a year who will turn 28 this season.

Hard pass.

Veleno huh? What's he done in Grand Rapids that suggests he's worthy of coming up next year? From the times I've seen him play and read/heard from other people is, he's struggling. I'm not sure he's ready to play in the NHL for possibly another whole season after this one. So, don't think he's the magic answer to create a consistent 2nd line.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Veleno huh? What's he done in Grand Rapids that suggests he's worthy of coming up next year? From the times I've seen him play and read/heard from other people is, he's struggling. I'm not sure he's ready to play in the NHL for possibly another whole season after this one. So, don't think he's the magic answer to create a consistent 2nd line.
The games I’ve been to he’s looked fine...I’ll take him over Helm or Nielsen any day

Reactions: LazyT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->