Prospect Info: 9OA: Nate Danielson

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Because Danielson didn't have a post-draft season of a player picked in the top 10 of the draft. You expect a guy to make a massive development jump from the pre-draft season to the post-draft season in juniors, that didn't at all happen. A top ten NHL pick would be expected to basically be one of the absolute best players in the WHL in that year. Danielson was #49 in WHL scoring this season. He was #22 in the pre-draft season, so he actually had a worse season this year even though he's a year older and should be stronger and more experienced and simply much better than his competitors. No way did anyone in the Wings organization expect that he'd stall out production-wise.

I mean in this thread people bring up comparisons like Larkin or Toews, guys who pulverized much better college competition in their post-draft seasons. There's a reason the conversation is leaning toward "he's going to be a good role player" because that's where the indicators point. I meane even the Larkin/Toews projections, as wishful homer thinking as they are basically betray the fact that this guy's offense isn't high level enough as neither one of those guys is an elite scorer. If he turns into a good checking line forward who gets 800+ NHL games, he wouldn't be a bust but he also wouldn't be the guy they thought they were picking at #9.

Someone said the Wings need centermen, yeah, that is 100% true, but they really need a centerman who can be top 10 in league scoring, not just a guy who's dependable on the PK and can eat minutes. I'm not writing Danielson off or anything, I'm just pointing out the obvious fact that he hasn't developed in the way he would have been expected to.
Brutal timing on this awful take.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Because Danielson didn't have a post-draft season of a player picked in the top 10 of the draft. You expect a guy to make a massive development jump from the pre-draft season to the post-draft season in juniors, that didn't at all happen. A top ten NHL pick would be expected to basically be one of the absolute best players in the WHL in that year. Danielson was #49 in WHL scoring this season. He was #22 in the pre-draft season, so he actually had a worse season this year even though he's a year older and should be stronger and more experienced and simply much better than his competitors. No way did anyone in the Wings organization expect that he'd stall out production-wise.

I mean in this thread people bring up comparisons like Larkin or Toews, guys who pulverized much better college competition in their post-draft seasons. There's a reason the conversation is leaning toward "he's going to be a good role player" because that's where the indicators point. I meane even the Larkin/Toews projections, as wishful homer thinking as they are basically betray the fact that this guy's offense isn't high level enough as neither one of those guys is an elite scorer. If he turns into a good checking line forward who gets 800+ NHL games, he wouldn't be a bust but he also wouldn't be the guy they thought they were picking at #9.

Someone said the Wings need centermen, yeah, that is 100% true, but they really need a centerman who can be top 10 in league scoring, not just a guy who's dependable on the PK and can eat minutes. I'm not writing Danielson off or anything, I'm just pointing out the obvious fact that he hasn't developed in the way he would have been expected to.

I think you should look back at draft history of the 8-10 picks and see how few have had seasons as top 10 scorers let aline perennially there. You need to re adjust your expectations of a 9th overall pick. They don’t tend to be superstars.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC

The bolded is a really off-base, poorly timed take. He's literally on another level these playoffs and leading the team he got traded to where he is by far their most effective player.

What more besides being "higher in individual scoring" in the regular season could he possibly be doing to justify his draft slot? He has 20 points in 12 playoff games currently.

Why does a limited view on his history have to indicate his development path for the future? He's effectively showing us what he's capable of by leveling up his game in the regular season not only from his D-1, but now to the playoffs centering a WHL contender one win away from the finals.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Brandon is a really bad team. He scored a point per game there.
Portland is a really good team. He scored at about a 100 point pace there.
He’s also killing it these playoffs.

He’s doing fine.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I'm

No, you need a player that makes everyone around him better. Not just a goal scorer who can be shut down in the playoffs. Danielson's playmaking tilts the ice and improves possession numbers which is key to playoff success.

He and Larkin will make a great one-two punch, and will be a very capable replacement when Larkin isn't in the lineup.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I don't worry about not picking Benson at all, in my mind the fact that Benson made the NHL this season will mean nothing between them in a couple years. It's not like Benson came in and ravaged the NHL. He had a solid season for a teenager.

It's just something tangible (not really because he wouldn't have made the Wings) people can point at and say "look at the mistake!" when its way too early to call it that.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I don't worry about not picking Benson at all, in my mind the fact that Benson made the NHL this season will mean nothing between them in a couple years. It's not like Benson came in and ravaged the NHL. He had a solid season for a teenager.
Buffalo was ahead of us last season. They added Benson and took a step back. We improved.
It's more than Benson as a factor for the Sabres, but a little interesting that people are hyping him up so much for playing in the NHL when most good GMs would not have put him in the NHL.

Reactions: lilidk

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Does anyone here actually think that if the Wings had known how the 23/24 season would turn out, they'd have picked Danielson at #9 overall? In reality, there's no flipping way they would have.
Why not?

There are a few players picked later with comparable overall seasons or slightly better point totals on stronger teams, but only Benson has played at the NHL, and given Danielson's pre-season its not hard to see him achieving similar results.

Not saying you are wrong, but I'd be interested to see what choice you think they would have made instead and why

I also don’t know why everyone keeps saying we need centres as if we also don’t need wingers. We have Raymond and DBC, and then who else? Having high octane offensive wingers is a huge need for this team as well.
We clearly need both, but centres are harder to come by via trade or FA (Unless they are of the Copp/Compher variety, which we hope Danilson will surpass, though Compher has been fine)

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

6bpx4t.jpg

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
Since Portland went down 1-0 in the conference finals, he has 10 points in 3 games and they're now up 3-1.

He's now #3 in WHL playoff scoring.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
Maybe a lot early year struggles are attributed to him leaving excellent impressions in the training camp and in exhibition games and then leaving for a team two tiers below that had absolutely no chances for success. It would affected me for example if I would be him.

Now, when playing for Portland maybe we see a real Danielsson with 1.5 pts pace in the regular season and even better than that in the playoffs.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Does anyone here actually think that if the Wings had known how the 23/24 season would turn out, they'd have picked Danielson at #9 overall? In reality, there's no flipping way they would have.

I am thinking we should all start getting used to this, much like the "Larkin isn't a 1C" that can pollute this board, especially when Larks doesn't have his best game.

My man, I get it, YOU didn't like the Danielson pick, YOU wanted somebody else.

But to think that based on what has happened since the draft, that Wings management for some reason be would upset/disappointed with their Danielson pick and wished they had some else? At a time where Danielson is showing out during juniors championship final no less? Dude, GTFO. I bet the Wings are thrilled with the pick.

Reactions: jkutswings

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Y'all are putting too much effort into countering the offending post with logical and intelligent comments. That OP based their argument on rankings of Total Points in the WHL, but in looking at the TP column near the far right of the stat page, and noting the ranking number on the far left of the stat page, he failed to take into account the GP column in the middle of the stat page. It's my experience the number in the GP column has a direct bearing on the number in the TP column.

Could be wrong, but I'm not inclined to put much stock in Danielson career projections by a guy who ignores the GP column.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Nothing says I don't actually watch prospects like blindly regurgitating stats.

I would also add that a 9OA pick really isn't that high all things considered.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
Y'all are putting too much effort into countering the offending post with logical and intelligent comments. That OP based their argument on rankings of Total Points in the WHL, but in looking at the TP column near the far right of the stat page, and noting the ranking number on the far left of the stat page, he failed to take into account the GP column in the middle of the stat page. It's my experience the number in the GP column has a direct bearing on the number in the TP column.

Could be wrong, but I'm not inclined to put much stock in Danielson career projections by a guy who ignores the GP column.

Ha. Wow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad