Prospect Info: #98 Nikita Popugaev (RW)

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
That'd be a shame, but sometimes you just can't account for the adjustment for some of these guys especially when they're so young.

I hope he does come back at some point as he was such an intriguing prospect.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It was pretty obvious he wasn’t happy with Prince George the moment he got traded there.

He needs to do some serious maturing. Maybe that will be easier in Russia

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
He's unlikely to be anything in the NHL at this point but he's still only 20 and the KHL really isn't a great spot for a player like him - he's doing well in the minor league of the KHL, but when he's on the big club, they really don't give a lot of ice time to young players and the rosters are larger. He's dressed for games he hasn't gotten a shift in.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Still like the pick, even if it's basically guaranteed he'll have no impact in the NHL. He has good raw skills and size. At that point in the draft, may as well swing for the fences lol

oh well

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i’m not giving up on him yet. the skill was always there, it didn’t go anywhere. i don’t know if anyone here can speak to his usage accurately enough to put those stats in context.

even if he does put it all together, i could see him staying in the khl...so whatever, it is what it is. still a great 4th round pick, especially when you compare it to the ryan kujawhateverthehells of yesteryear

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Pop, we hardly knew ya .....
IMG_0765.jpg

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
i’m not giving up on him yet. the skill was always there, it didn’t go anywhere. i don’t know if anyone here can speak to his usage accurately enough to put those stats in context.

even if he does put it all together, i could see him staying in the khl...so whatever, it is what it is. still a great 4th round pick, especially when you compare it to the ryan kujawhateverthehells of yesteryear

I honestly have no idea what you're even trying to say with this. Kujawinski and Popugaev were booth boom or bust picks. Unless you're upset that Kujawinski was picked at 73 and Popugaev was a more reasonable 98?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I honestly have no idea what you're even trying to say with this. Kujawinski and Popugaev were booth boom or bust picks. Unless you're upset that Kujawinski was picked at 73 and Popugaev was a more reasonable 98?

I don't really believe in the notion of boom or bust picks. But Kujawinski in his draft year was 17-31-48 in 66 games and Popugaev was 29-40-69 in 71 games. He just had much better results, and he's likely to have a better career.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I don't really believe in the notion of boom or bust picks. But Kujawinski in his draft year was 17-31-48 in 66 games and Popugaev was 29-40-69 in 71 games. He just had much better results, and he's likely to have a better career.

Sure. But look at the scouting reports and you’ll see similar stuff. Plus, after Pop got traded, he was basically a 0.6 pts / game player. Unclear if Pop was just a product of Howden. Kujawinski, meanwhile, was a center and the second leading scorer on his team.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
The dumbest thing he could've done for his development was to go home to Russia.

Young players never get quality ice time in the KHL so every single game is basically stunting his development. He isn't getting good ice time so he isn't playing. Not playing = not getting experience. Not getting experience = not developing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad