Prospect Info: #98 Nikita Popugaev (RW)

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I am a STH for the Prince George Cougars, so I can stop by here to post updates on Popugaev throughout the WHL season. I've been so doing with other drafted players the Cougars have had in Jesse Gabrielle (Bruins board), Brandan Guhle (Sabres board) and others along the line.

Looking forward to the season! First games are this weekend!

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
I am a STH for the Prince George Cougars, so I can stop by here to post updates on Popugaev throughout the WHL season. I've been so doing with other drafted players the Cougars have had in Jesse Gabrielle (Bruins board), Brandan Guhle (Sabres board) and others along the line.

hope to hear good news going forward! thanks for doing this

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Sweet, thanks!

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

That'd be awesome, much appreciated!

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Much appreciated.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
So the first two games of the WHL season are in the books. PG is looking like they are going to have lots of issues this season (expected) considering their roster turnover from last year, and are deploying a very young group. Headaches will be had, heads will have shaken but expectations need to remain low.

I'm going to start with what I feel are his negatives, then we can finish on a good note with his positives.

With that being said about the Cougars being young, Popugaev is considered a leader now, as he is an older play on the team trying to guide this young team to be competitive every single night. Now, you'll learn over time as I give updates on his progression throughout the season that I will not be sugarcoating anything and I say this because I believe throughout the season I may come off as hating Popugaev, or having a personal agenda but frankly I don't.

I'm not very high on Poppy - in the slightest, to be honest. I think he has really good offensive instincts, a hard/accurate shot, good hands and great size but I believe his flaws will drag him down as a player, especially as a complete player, until he figures everything out.

These two games have showed me, so far, he is the exact same player I saw in the backhalf of the season when the Cougars acquired him. He has been soft in the corners and hasn't been asserting his physical dominance I know he has when he wants to use it. With his big frame, even though it is not fully filled out yet, should be dominating on any aspect of the rink offensive or defensive and I simply don't think he is. At least not enough.

He hardly hits anyone and when it does, it's about as effective as a player who is 5'9" trying to hit someone in the WHL. It almost looks as if he's scared to hit someone whether he is afraid he'll get a penalty, take him out of position or ignite the player to start a physical confrontation I really don't know, but he doesn't play like his size indicates. I've always thought to myself even if he was 5'9", he would be playing the exact same kind of game he does right now. However, I saw him play a stretch of games last year where he was an absolute beast - he asserted himself physically, he was hitting hard, he was all over the ice but it seems to never last long.

This weekend, he did a lot of floating - in both ends of the rink. Luckily for him, with this team being young, is that there may not be any real threat for him to lose his minutes however Head Coach Richard Matvichuk is not shy to demote veterans - he was adamant in his post game presser tonight that the veterans cost him the game tonight - he's not afraid to call them out/bench them etc. It may not take long before Popugaev is seeing less icetime.

It seems with all the good players gone from last year, it has gone to his head that he is now one of their best because he is taking far too many extended shifts, and a couple of those have lead to goals against or really good chances because he isn't able to keep up with the play. There was a play I can recall where he looked off his linemate, who was wide open in the slot, and Popugaev would rather to try and deke through two defenders and take it to the net himself. He loses possession a lot trying to stickhandle in defenders feet. He needs to learn to use his linemates a lot better otherwise this won't be a productive season for him - opponents are going to key in on him specifically, so he needs to dish the puck off and make his linemates more dangerous...doing it all himself is not going to work.

Now...the positives.

As I mentioned above, when he gets this mean-streak of "I want the puck, and I'm going to get the puck" he becomes a really effective player. Obviously only two games have been played so far, but I haven't seen that player yet. I saw it last year and he really stood out. When he uses his size, he is a very good player. He definitely needs to fill out more but he is still capable of manhandling defenders along the boards.

While I think he tries to be fancy a little too much, he does have really good hands. He is able to stickhandle in traffic on a semi-regular basis, which in end creates tons of chances. He had some plays this weekend that left you in awe of his skillset.

He is currently being used on the point/halfwall near the hashmarks on the PP, to use him as a onetimer option, as he has a very good, hard accurate shot. He is being used correctly in this situation and will likely be the best option here with his shot. He's really elusive with his passing, is able to lay it on a tee for others, and is great at getting it cross seams over/under defenders sticks.

If you are stat watching this year for him, you may end up disappointed because as I said, this Cougars team is very young and learn each and every day therefore, he will not have the highly skilled linemates he had last season. They are not use to this speed, size, skill or physicality yet. They are going to be overwhelmed this season, but it's a learning curve. I mention this for the stat-watchers because I'm not so sure how many points Popugaev is going to get on this team with the inexperienced roster, but ultimately it is up to him to dictate his personal success in production. He is going to be put in every situation to succeed, but he also needs to workout his flaws, otherwise other players may be used in that capacity for a bit.

Popugaev always leaves me wanting more, and knowing he has more in him. He leaves me thinking he can be an effective player who can progress greatly this season because he is a very good offensively minded player and has all the abilities/physical attributes, but he has a lot needing to be worked on.

I'm going into this season with tempered expectations on his overall game, but I am expecting him to lead this team offensively up until the end of the season, or perhaps when he is traded at the deadline if PG is out of it.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
His work ethic has always been a big knock against him, so it will be interesting to see how he does.

Yeah I am not too pleased with it. He's not supporting his linemates down low in the offensive zone. Almost like he is waiting for them to do the work so he can pounce on any opportunities. He's far too soft down low as well,and is constantly stick-checking.

He's a massive player, he should be able o dictate how those battles go.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Richard Matvichuk as in the former Star and Devil (for like five minutes)? Yeah I don't think he'd tolerate the floating nonsense either.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I find it interesting that you say he is not using his team mates. From what I have seen(very limited) he likes to pass the puck. So one wonders if he is indeed trying to do too much, much like him taking too long of a shift.

I've also seen that he does not play a power forward game, he plays more of that Joe Thornton big man game, use his size to fend off d-men, looks to distribute the puck, but he is not going to go around demolishing guys, and will thus look soft because of it.

I always liken players like that to Elias, or at least I use Patty as the prototype for effective but not high intensity player. But as mentioned above, Thornton is like that too, old man Jagr became that. So I think there is a spot for that type of player.

I think it's probably good if Pop's brings more intensity to his game, it's prob good if he brings more of a goal scorers mentality, but I am not surprised or overly concerned if there are growing pains in the process. Though we should adjust our timeline accordingly, good possiblity Pop's is 3 years out from getting an a shot at the NHL.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Yeah I am not too pleased with it. He's not supporting his linemates down low in the offensive zone. Almost like he is waiting for them to do the work so he can pounce on any opportunities. He's far too soft down low as well,and is constantly stick-checking.

He's a massive player, he should be able o dictate how those battles go.

I think he just needs to learn to be smarter with when he uses his size, when to battle, and get better at protecting the puck.

Your scouting report worries me a bit; I've always gotten the Thornton vibe from him. Slower, more methodical player who likes to play the set-up role. Seems like that would line up a lot better to his skill set if he can work on doing that rather than playing like Atlanta Kovalchuk.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Truthfully that report doesn't worry me much at all. I do think Pop's is a Thornton type, and that guy is going to get criticized on a bad team.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Truthfully that report doesn't worry me much at all. I do think Pop's is a Thornton type, and that guy is going to get criticized on a bad team.

If he's cherry picking all game long, trying to dangle through everyone, and not using his linemates, that's the exact opposite of developing a set-up game.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
If he's cherry picking all game long, trying to dangle through everyone, and not using his linemates, that's the exact opposite of developing a set-up game.

Cherry picking is one thing, a bad one.

But I've seen him as a guy who wants to use his team mates, he's actually proven pretty adept in that regard. Now he's looking to be more selfish. Sometimes that is good.

Pop has 1st round talent, he was a 4th round pick, I'm willing to be very patient with this one. So be ready for a full range of justifications. :laugh:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I'm always fine with a forward who doesn't hit - hitting is rarely the most effective way to separate a man from the puck such that your team ends up with it. More concerning, as Zippy said, is that he's not one of the guys working down low - grinding it out in the corners is how he's going to end up with a pro contract and be in the AHL next season.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm always fine with a forward who doesn't hit - hitting is rarely the most effective way to separate a man from the puck such that your team ends up with it. More concerning, as Zippy said, is that he's not one of the guys working down low - grinding it out in the corners is how he's going to end up with a pro contract and be in the AHL next season.

For sure, but that's what these years of development are for.

And, no offense to Canuck, sometimes a fan will see a player properly waiting outside the scrum and say, "soft", especially when they have it in their mind that he is a soft big man.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
For sure, but that's what these years of development are for.

And, no offense to Canuck, sometimes a fan will see a player properly waiting outside the scrum and say, "soft", especially when they have it in their mind that he is a soft big man.

Maybe soft isn't the right word but he's not assertive enough for his size when I've seen him play.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Did he quit the team, or just take a leave of absence so to speak? Maybe there is some family issue or something.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
Did he quit the team, or just take a leave of absence so to speak? Maybe there is some family issue or something.
He left the team
“I don’t know the personal reasons but he wants to go home, and I can’t keep an 18-year-old boy sitting here in Prince George and not grant his wishes,” said Cougars general manager Todd Harkins. “You can’t stop him from moving on and if it’s the KHL he wants to go to I can’t stop him from that either.”

Here's the article http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/sports/hockey/popugaev-leaves-cougars-1.23076208

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Looks like he quit the team to return to Russia - listed as personal reasons.

Seems he was struggling lately - maybe that drove the decision to head home or maybe he was already leaning that way and it affected his play.

Soon to be 19-year old kid wants to go home, has options in Russia and maybe didn't feel like his game was developing as hoped in the WHL. Hopefully the move back to Russia gets him on the right track.

http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/sports/hockey/popugaev-leaves-cougars-1.23076208

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Some more on his recent struggles:

Nikita Popugaev found himself with a demotion to the 4th line for Prince George as he struggles to produce. In 3 games last week he had an even rating and 7 shots. He now hasn't had a point in 5 straight games. It seems that Popugaev has struggled to find his form since his trade from Moose Jaw to Prince George as he had a 0.89 Pts/GP in 110 games for Moose Jaw while just a 0.57 Pts/GP for Prince George despite having top 6 opportunities with both teams.

https://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2017/10/24/16528040/new-jersey-devils-prospect-update-10-24-17

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
best case scenario, this turns out to be a motivating factor. worst case scenario, we have a 4th rounder who never plays a game for us.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
best case scenario, this turns out to be a motivating factor. worst case scenario, we have a 4th rounder who never plays a game for us.

If he has a good end to the season in Russia, I wonder if the Devils give him an ELC and try to develop him in house. Maybe even bring Maltsev over as well (his contract ends after this year) and let them both develop in the AHL.

Our RW depth is awful right now throughout the organization.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
If he has a good end to the season in Russia, I wonder if the Devils give him an ELC and try to develop him in house. Maybe even bring Maltsev over as well (his contract ends after this year) and let them both develop in the AHL.

Our RW depth is awful right now throughout the organization.

I honestly dunno if he ever comes back, from what I heard he had a hard time getting comfortable and adjusting to here, it just didn't seem like North America and him were a good fit.

Reactions: Darkauron

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->