Prospect Info: 95th overall (2017): Vancouver selects D Jack Rathbone | Will he sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

May 20, 2011
BC
I've been following Rath since just after we drafted him and always knew he would become a premier defensive prospect. I hope to the Hockey Gods we sign him; and I expect he'll be a welcome addition to the Cup team we're pushing to make. He can always go back and get his degree later; Harvard is a wonderful school and understands fully if he needs to leave and come back. He should go for what's best for him and his family and importantly to him his brother.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think as @krutovsdonut suggested, the smart decision would be to see if there is going to be hockey. If it looks like the start of hockey season might be delayed it makes more sense to stay in school. You can take classes online and work towards your degree if there's no hockey.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
It would be huge if he signs. He might be our best prospect after Pod

May 20, 2011
BC
TIL Rathbone is a 9 year old prodigy :D

Haha.

May is a very special month for me; I had the worst day of my life near the same date, just in a different year. It's a month I've had great turmoil in, and I cherish that there's a Canucks draft pick who has a birthday on that date.

I have autism/autistic thinking (although I'm more afflicted with psychotic disorders nowadays), and that Jack stayed in high school an extra year to support his autistic brother makes him my favourite Canuck of all time, whether or not he ever dons the sweater.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Benning says: “I like Jack a lot. He’s an excellent skater and he’s aggressive with the puck. We think with development he can be a dynamic, real good player for us. He’s one guy who when I’m talking to other teams, his name always comes up. The type of seasons he’s had the last couple of years, everybody’s aware of his game and what he can do. There’s a lot going on in the world right now, obviously, so they’re going to take some time here in the next month or two and decide what they want to do.”

Sportsnet wrote an article about Canucks prospects. Found this bit interesting seems a lot of GM’s see something in Rathbone.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Many NCAA schools now saying it may not be possible to open up their campuses and conduct regular classes this September, much less reactivate their sports programs. The best they'll be able to do is conduct instruction by distance education.

So a looming a possibility there won't any NCAA Div I. hockey next winter. It makes you wonder what a guy like Rathbone will do? If he can take classes at Harvard on the Internet, it may make more sense for him to sign a pro contract sooner, rather than later.

Especially considering that without the college hockey program, there'd be nowhere for him to play and continue to hone his skills. He can ill-afford a lost year of development.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Many NCAA schools now saying it may not be possible to open up their campuses and conduct regular classes this September, much less reactivate their sports programs. The best they'll be able to do is conduct instruction by distance education.

So a looming a possibility there won't any NCAA Div I. hockey next winter. It makes you wonder what a guy like Rathbone will do? If he can take classes at Harvard on the Internet, it may make more sense for him to sign a pro contract sooner, rather than later.

Especially considering that without the college hockey program, there'd be nowhere for him to play and continue to hone his skills. He can ill-afford a lost year of development.

Wonder what the broader ramifications of losing more than just this season would be for prospects in general

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

I heard some college football expert on ESPN say the colleges have already said that there will be no football if campuses aren’t open. He said the colleges consider the players students, soon classes in session means no football. If there’s no football, then (obviously) there will be basketball, and hockey.
This will prompt drafted hockey guys to sign. Rathbone will be a Canuck soon.
My question is: if Rathbone signs soon, is he eligible to play for us in the playoffs - if there are summer playoffs?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

You would think that would push him towards signing ELC and locking in that $92,500 signing bonus guaranteed each year.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow! The news just keeps getting worse for NCAA schools and their sports programs.....now there's some indication that cash-strapped schools won't be able to honor the sports scholarships they've offered up if there are no revenues from football, basketball or hockey games.

I have no idea how this might affect a kid like Rathbone, who is already two years into his Harvard scholarship....and Harvard is obviously one of the wealthiest schools in the U.S.

But really makes you wonder about the status of scholarships at schools like North Dakota, Minnesota, Michigan or some of the smaller Ivy League Schools. If they have to walk away from sports scholarships for a year or so, it could really affect some players from the BCJHL or other Tier Two Junior leagues in Canada with a lot of players who've already signed NCAA hockey scholarships.

Makes you realize that the impact of COVID-19 on hockey at all levels will be devastating and far-reaching. Really depressing.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Wow! The news just keeps getting worse for NCAA schools and their sports programs.....now there's some indication that cash-strapped schools won't be able to honor the sports scholarships they've offered up if there are no revenues from football, basketball or hockey games.

I have no idea how this might affect a kid like Rathbone, who is already two years into his Harvard scholarship....and Harvard is obviously one of the wealthiest schools in the U.S.

But really makes you wonder about the status of scholarships at schools like North Dakota, Minnesota, Michigan or some of the smaller Ivy League Schools. If they have to walk away from sports scholarships for a year or so, it could really affect some players from the BCJHL or other Tier Two Junior leagues in Canada with a lot of players who've already signed NCAA hockey scholarships.

Makes you realize that the impact of COVID-19 on hockey at all levels will be devastating and far-reaching. Really depressing.

A note: Harvard, like all Ivy League schools, doesn't give athletic scholarships. So Rathbone's cost of education does not change. Harvard has financial aid packages, fellowships, academic awards, etc., however, paying for Harvard is based on a formula of your family income etc.. A student athlete there gets entrance and all kinds of support and advantages, but they do not get an athletic scholarship.

Reactions: F A N

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Harvard has a $38 billion endowment fund. I'd guess they can afford to continue providing whatever financial assistance their athletes are receiving.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
A note: Harvard, like all Ivy League schools, doesn't give athletic scholarships. So Rathbone's cost of education does not change. Harvard has financial aid packages, fellowships, academic awards, etc., however, paying for Harvard is based on a formula of your family income etc.. A student athlete there gets entrance and all kinds of support and advantages, but they do not get an athletic scholarship.
I think we might be splitting hairs here. Any student athlete who doesn't have to pay tuition to go to a place like Harvard, is on an 'athletic scholarship' whether they want to call it that or not.

And I'd be surprised if student athletes at Harvard or other Ivy League schools are responsible for their own room and board; food; medical trainers, equipment, etc. So somebody has to pay for all that.

But I'd agree that Harvard and most Ivy league schools are sitting on huge endowments, so a season or two without athletics is no big deal for them.

But you wonder about places like North Dakota; Quinnipiac, RIT, Maine, Merrimack, and other schools that dole out scholarships to hockey players, In fact hockey is about the only major NCAA Div. I program they have. Those scholarships could dry up fast.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
As much as I want to sign him. Why would he do that when he could have waited a while and sign with the Bruins?

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
As much as I want to sign him. Why would he do that when he could have waited a while and sign with the Bruins?
Because they won’t value him as much as a team that invested draft pick and time in developing him? Most of these college free agents end up getting traded soon enough and wont receive the same opportunity as they would with their original team.

If you’re a young defenseman you want to sign with a team that has young forwards that can eventually get you paid big money.

nobody to block you+talented young forwards+team invested in your development= Rathbone’s best opportunity for on ice and financial success is with the Canucks.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada

I feel like someone says this sort of thing with every college prospect. Same exact thing was said about Gaudette. I wouldn’t underestimate the relationship that develops between the drafting team and prospect. They don’t just draft them and then talk to them when they’re thinking of leaving college. They’re generally constantly in contact supporting their prospects. Of course every once in a while the relationship never develops properly, breaks down, a prospect just pulls an about face. But generally they don’t because of the familiarity they develop with the drafting organisation and the support they have received over the years. Incidentally, this seems to be something the Canucks have been very good at in Benning’s reign.

As an aside, I think sports fans tend to wildly underestimate the importance of relationships in decisions and off season moves because it’s not something that gets publicised as much.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
I think we might be splitting hairs here. Any student athlete who doesn't have to pay tuition to go to a place like Harvard, is on an 'athletic scholarship' whether they want to call it that or not.

And I'd be surprised if student athletes at Harvard or other Ivy League schools are responsible for their own room and board; food; medical trainers, equipment, etc. So somebody has to pay for all that.

But I'd agree that Harvard and most Ivy league schools are sitting on huge endowments, so a season or two without athletics is no big deal for them.

But you wonder about places like North Dakota; Quinnipiac, RIT, Maine, Merrimack, and other schools that dole out scholarships to hockey players, In fact hockey is about the only major NCAA Div. I program they have. Those scholarships could dry up fast.

Not to be argumentative... We are not splitting hairs! Harvard does not give out athletic scholarships. All students are treated the same way when it comes to financial aid (aside from any classification based on affirmative action and that difference is only about admission etc). Period. Once you get admission into the school, an athlete is treated exactly the same as the general population when it comes to tuition.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
They just actually got bailout money- if you can believe it.

9 million. That seems a little ridiculous to me with their endowment. But it doesn't go to them- it goes to the students. But still- ridiculous to me, for a school with that endowment

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Earlier in this thread, and elsewhere, it was said that due to entering university later than his peers Rathbone could become a free agent before his senior season, ie a year early, by not playing his junior season. It's worth speculating whether this condition would be fulfilled if his entire team didn't play next season due to the pandemic.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I feel like someone says this sort of thing with every college prospect. Same exact thing was said about Gaudette. I wouldn’t underestimate the relationship that develops between the drafting team and prospect. They don’t just draft them and then talk to them when they’re thinking of leaving college. They’re generally constantly in contact supporting their prospects. Of course every once in a while the relationship never develops properly, breaks down, a prospect just pulls an about face. But generally they don’t because of the familiarity they develop with the drafting organisation and the support they have received over the years. Incidentally, this seems to be something the Canucks have been very good at in Benning’s reign.

As an aside, I think sports fans tend to wildly underestimate the importance of relationships in decisions and off season moves because it’s not something that gets publicised as much.

I think it's a more concerning point with Rathbone considering the last two Havard Dmen to graduate that program decided not to sign with their NHL team. Both being Jack's good friends I definitely could see him following in their footsteps and controlling where he goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad