Prospect Info: 95th overall (2017): Vancouver selects D Jack Rathbone | Will he sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015

Looking at some of his former teammates. Both Marino and Fox weren’t gonna sign for their respective teams and got traded for less value. That has me worried about jack. If the season doesn’t resume we don’t even have the leverage of burning off a year on his ELC.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Based on the current state of the Canucks blueline, and the good possibility they lose one or both of Stecher and Tanev.......there's a good chance Rathbone could step right in and play. No riding the buses in up-state New York. That has to be a serious consideration for Rathbone and his agent.

VasilyHoglander

Jun 28, 2014
West Vancouver
Based on the current state of the Canucks blueline, and the good possibility they lose one or both of Stecher and Tanev.......there's a good chance Rathbone could step right in and play. No riding the buses in up-state New York. That has to be a serious consideration for Rathbone and his agent.
Defensively he still has a lot of work to do even at college level. 90% of his rushes result in the corner. He looks good to the average hockey fan but he has a lot of work to do.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Defensively he still has a lot of work to do even at college level. 90% of his rushes result in the corner. He looks good to the average hockey fan but he has a lot of work to do.
Bone looks ready to be a top four NHL Dman to hockey people. Kid is going to be a star for us next season. Sadly the coach and GM are characters from a Jim Carey movie, so we will get to watch Myers and Benn instead.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
His skating is Hughes-esque and he has a heck of a slap shot and wrist shot but his decision making needs work.

Reactions: slumpy43

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

Looking at some of his former teammates. Both Marino and Fox weren’t gonna sign for their respective teams and got traded for less value. That has me worried about jack. If the season doesn’t resume we don’t even have the leverage of burning off a year on his ELC.

IMO we shouldn't even be needing that as leverage for college prospects to sign, but we've set a standard with previous signings so I feel we've just gotten used to it now.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
IMO we shouldn't even be needing that as leverage for college prospects to sign, but we've set a standard with previous signings so I feel we've just gotten used to it now.

I'd usually agree but for a guy like Rathbone whose, teammates (Marino/Fox) both bailed on the team that had their rights you'd need all the leverage you need. These Havard guys like to explore their options.

Reactions: Nucker101 and F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I'd usually agree but for a guy like Rathbone whose, teammates (Marino/Fox) both bailed on the team that had their rights you'd need all the leverage you need. These Havard guys like to explore their options.

I don't think Rathbone's personal situation can be ignored. He stayed behind an extra year to help take care of his little bro instead of moving away to play in the USHL. Harvard is like 15 minutes? drive from home. I'm not sure where Rathbone is credit wise but he's only spent two years at Harvard. What are the chances of him cracking the Canucks next season? Adam Fox made a smooth transition to the NHL this season. Another year of Harvard means putting himself in a position to graduate with a degree by simply taking summer courses, being close to family for another year, being better prepared to step into the NHL, and potential UFA options. If I was Rathbone I would probably leans toward playing another year at Harvard over spending most of the season in Utica unless I was truly confident in my ability to make the Canucks and I was strongly advised of Canucks' plans for me going forward Basically if I'm Rathbone, I'm looking at the left side and see that besides Edler and Hughes there's nobody else there unless the Canucks plan to bring someone in through UFA.

Reactions: gianni

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
I don't think Rathbone's personal situation can be ignored. He stayed behind an extra year to help take care of his little bro instead of moving away to play in the USHL. Harvard is like 15 minutes? drive from home. I'm not sure where Rathbone is credit wise but he's only spent two years at Harvard. What are the chances of him cracking the Canucks next season? Adam Fox made a smooth transition to the NHL this season. Another year of Harvard means putting himself in a position to graduate with a degree by simply taking summer courses, being close to family for another year, being better prepared to step into the NHL, and potential UFA options. If I was Rathbone I would probably leans toward playing another year at Harvard over spending most of the season in Utica unless I was truly confident in my ability to make the Canucks and I was strongly advised of Canucks' plans for me going forward Basically if I'm Rathbone, I'm looking at the left side and see that besides Edler and Hughes there's nobody else there unless the Canucks plan to bring someone in through UFA.

Agreed. If this is another Adam Fox situation, I wonder if/what the Boston Bruins would be interested in trading for his rights?

And yes, the left side has openings, especially w/ Alex Edler getting up there in age; so that could entice him to sign.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Watching those Rathbone highlights again is an eye-popper....this kid isn't just 'good;....his skating close to 'elite' already. He just accelerates away from people effortlessly. And he might already shoot the puck better than any Canuck d-man, and he'll let it rip from anywhere. So he's going to wrack up the points in pro hockey.

He may not have the edge-work of Quinn Hughes, but his puck-handling at high speed is mind boggling. Sure he'll struggle defensively at times in the NHL, but when all else fails he has the skill to just skate the puck out.

Although it hurt to see Madden dealt at the deadline for what looks just 10 games of Tyler Tofoli, it would have been a real bummer had it been Rathbone instead of Madden. You just can't find d-men like Rathbone. And I feel certain the Kings asked about him.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
doesn't every team do the same thing though?
I haven't looked into it but I don't recall previous management teams doing this, or any other team around the league. My impression is that it just doesn't happen very often. Of course, as others have said, there could be mitigating circumstances here with Rathbone.

Rydgar

Jul 15, 2010
Surrey, BC

I think its a benefit to our team as well. On their second contract they have no arbitration rights which gives us leverage on a lower cap hit.

Reactions: zcaptain

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
doesn't every team do the same thing though?
Last time I checked, about a year ago, the rest of the NHL burns a contract year less than 50% of the time when signing college players.

The Canucks under Benning have done it nearly every time it has been an option. They are definitely an outlier.

Last edited:

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
This year there has been five college players sign NHL contracts. Roseburg, Khodorenko, O'Connor, Turcotte, and Miller.

None of them burned a year. They all have contracts beginning 2020-21.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Last time I checked, about a year ago, the rest of the NHL burns a contract year less than 50% of the time when signing college players.

The Canucks under Benning have done it nearly every time it has been an option. They are definitely an outlier.
Boeser, Gaudette, Hughes.

Each situation is different and dependent on both state of the team and leverage of the player. A kid coming out after their freshman or sophomore year depends on the team and whether they feel he can are right in or not.

when he’s complete their junior year then the leverage swings a bit to the player. Troy Terry and Adam Gaudette both burned their first year elc but were both pegged to play last season in the A.

the top guys are going to come out early and sign and this burn the elc year. Just the reality of the game. It then however puts greater onus for that player to perform in their 2 seasons.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
This year there has been five college players sign NHL contracts. Roseburg, Khodorenko, O'Connor, Turcotte, and Miller.

None of them burned a year. They all have contracts beginning 2020-21.

I believe that is because they can’t given the situation, so not really a fair comparison. I think looking at previous years would be more fair.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
I believe that is because they can’t given the situation, so not really a fair comparison. I think looking at previous years would be more fair.
Miller is the only player I listed that signed after play was suspended.

I haven't seen when exactly the NHL started disallowing 2019-20 contracts. LeBrun tweeted this on the 15th, and Miller signed on the 13th.

So at least four are fair comparisons. Maybe five.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I would think Boner stays in college for another year. Harvard beats Utica being the likely thinking there.

Could be wrong.
He’s a sophomore but it’s been 3 years since his draft because he didn’t go to the NCAA right after his draft year. So likely it will be Harvard.
But like Lockwood I think he signs. Since the ELC under the salary cap the Canucks haven’t lost anyone they wanted to sign. McNally, kind of the same with Bone in that he didn’t go to NCAA after his draft year but played just 7 games as a sophomore due to academic dishonesty or something.
He ended up playing just 48 games between his sophomore to senior year in Harvard. 34 as a freshman. Wasn’t someone who really warranted a contract, at least not with an nhl future but still depth in the A.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I guess the only leverage you have now is that you can put $92,500 into Jack's pocket *today* right as we slip into a massive recession and deal with a pandemic.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Jack Rathbone sounds like a character played by Dirk Diggler or Reed Rothchild in one of their "films."
Yep...or maybe a character out of a Mickey Spillane or Raymond Chandler detective novel....how long will it be before his nickname is 'Black Jack' Rathbone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->