Prospect Info: 95th overall (2017): Vancouver selects D Jack Rathbone | Will he sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Personally I really only worry about flight risk with players at Ivy League universities, particularly Harvard because it is the one that has a lot of high quality hockey prospects passing through it's program. I think players at Ivy league universities are more likely to stay the full four years and graduate because of the high value of the degree, and once this is accomplished there is a short window to free agency. Seems to me teams do get nervous about this, the most recent example would be the Flames trading the rights to Harvard standout Adam Fox, presumably because they either don't think they can sign him or maybe because Fox did them a solid and tipped them off so they wouldn't end up walking away empty handed.

Regardless I do feel that in the case of Ivy League, extra homework needs to be done when considering if or when to select these players. As far as more traditional hockey schools are concerned though, no misgivings whatsoever there.
Depends what draft pick you are using. Using a 1st round pick on an Ivy league kid pretty much means that you believe that player will be ready for the NHL sooner rather than later. Likely by the end of their sophomore year. If you're good enough to go pro, you go, rather than play an extra 2 years in college.

Adam Fox was an early 3rd round pick. Generally speaking, 3rd round picks likely don't leave college until around their junior year. For development purposes, you probably don't grow much more returning for a senior year compared to playing in the AHL. But, to each player, their own.

There are college graduates that sign with the team holding their rights and some who choose to go to free agency. Either they have a team that they want to sign with or they are looking out for the best opportunity to make the NHL. Regardless of where they sign, they are still subject to the ELC, so no team is obligated to hand them an NHL following training camp. All they can do is give them an opportunity to make the roster. Very good chance they end up in the AHL for a bit of time. No team can give a player more money. But, the money between the AHL to NHL is a big deal.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't see Rathbone being an NHLer
Posters were saying a lot of same things about Gaudette, Lockwood and Madden when they were drafted. And look at them now.

Given where the Canucks blueline is at, he's a good bet to earn a contract. But will likely stay in Harvard for at least three seasons. So he'll be a pro at least, but agree the NHL is more uncertain.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Posters were saying a lot of same things about Gaudette, Lockwood and Madden when they were drafted. And look at them now.

Neither of the 3 is in the NHL right now.

Not saying Rathbone cant be a good NHLer for us but the jump from college to pro is a big one, Gaudette is getting a taste of it and Lockwood and Madden still have a long way to go before being considered an NHLer.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

lawrence

May 19, 2012
The weirdest thing in the world is how all fans seem so paranoid of college UFAs becoming UFAs in 4 years but aren't worried at all about the fact that any late-birthday CHL player (ie Kole Lind) can be a UFA in 2 years.

It’s more rare to see Chl prospects become ufas or bail out on their teams instead college, so fans were not to worried about that. I personally wasn’t worried about losing lind to the 2 year thing. Add to the fact he’s also a Canuck fan. Hope that explains.

Reactions: F A N

lawrence

May 19, 2012
You sure find a lot of things weird. Who was the last Canadian born and raised kid drafted out of the CHL who refused to sign an ELC with the Canadian team that drafted him not to mention a kid who became a UFA after 2 years post-draft?

Seems pretty reasonable to me that the average fan here would be more worried about a kid from Massachusetts who stayed behind a year to help take care of his little brother and attending Harvard University not signing than a Saskatchewan kid who was playing in Kelowna not signing.

Jaret stoll. Canadian kid from the chl drafted by a Canadian team. Didn’t want to go to Calgary. Enters redraft and ends up in Edmonton. Hilarious. One crap hole to another.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Neither of the 3 is in the NHL right now.

Not saying Rathbone cant be a good NHLer for us but the jump from college to pro is a big one, Gaudette is getting a taste of it and Lockwood and Madden still have a long way to go before being considered an NHLer.
As much as some NCAA players feel that they can jump right to the NHL, the majority will require some time in the AHL.

Personally, I don't think the Canucks should be worried about drafting a kid from the NCAA, even from an Ivy league school.

Even the Chicago Blackhawks, during their cup run era lost Billy Sweatt 2nd round pick, and Jimmy Hayes, 1st round pick to NCAA free agency.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Gaudette and Madden will be depth NHL players - you can see that already in their IQ. It's just a question of when and how good they can be.

Jury is out on Lockwood, and of course Rathbone has a long ways to go - he's a project with a 3-4 years of development to see what we have.

Feb 20, 2013
Rathbone is on tsn2 right now playing in the beanpot against Boston College. Number 3 in crimson.

Feb 20, 2013
So, anybody see the game? Reports?

I saw bits and pieces of it. He had an decent game, 2nd pairing icetime and 2nd unit on the PP. Played a much more passive, safe, stay at home style compared to what I saw last year in his high school games. Skating ability is still evident though. I have to imagine that next year will be a big tester for him since Fox leaving will open up a bigger role for both him and Reilly Walsh.

I still think that Biega is a decent comparable/ceiling for him. Both are great skaters, but a little undersized. Rathbone is nowhere near as physical, but has a bit more offensive potential.

Getting another Biega with a 4th round pick would be a good result to be sure.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I saw bits and pieces of it. He had an decent game, 2nd pairing icetime and 2nd unit on the PP. Played a much more passive, safe, stay at home style compared to what I saw last year in his high school games. Skating ability is still evident though. I have to imagine that next year will be a big tester for him since Fox leaving will open up a bigger role for both him and Reilly Walsh.

I still think that Biega is a decent comparable/ceiling for him. Both are great skaters, but a little undersized. Rathbone is nowhere near as physical, but has a bit more offensive potential.

Getting another Biega with a 4th round pick would be a good result to be sure.

Highly interesting. Thanks!

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Given where the Canucks blueline is at, he's a good bet to earn a contract. But will likely stay in Harvard for at least three seasons. So he'll be a pro at least, but agree the NHL is more uncertain.

I don't recall much hate for these picks.

Last edited:

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
If he's 5'11 and 200+ with those wheels maybe we have the 2nd coming of Keith Ballard!

Here's to hoping he finds his toolbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->