Prospect Info: 95th overall (2017): Vancouver selects D Jack Rathbone | Will he sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
His best friend is Thather Demko.
Signing will not be a problem with him.
Not to mention opportunities here it’s almost a lock.
Also lots of Americans on the team around the same age bracket.

Whered you get the info that his bff is Thatcher? Thatcher is a San Diego boy so i wonder where the connection is.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
His best friend is Thather Demko.
Signing will not be a problem with him.
Not to mention opportunities here it’s almost a lock.
Also lots of Americans on the team around the same age bracket.
Signing shouldn't be a problem at all with Rathbone. Everyone about the kid screams perfectly decent and loyal human being. He may want to stay at Harvard because he wants to secure a future in case the hockey thing doesn't work out, but he seems like someone who remember those that believed in him, just like he believes in his brother.

Everyone on this board is baffling irrational with these NCAA prospects.

Reactions: hellstick

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Signing shouldn't be a problem at all with Rathbone. Everyone about the kid screams perfectly decent and loyal human being. He may want to stay at Harvard because he wants to secure a future in case the hockey thing doesn't work out, but he seems like someone who remember those that believed in him, just like he believes in his brother.

Everyone on this board is baffling irrational with these NCAA prospects.

I agree. Then there's the working out with Bulldog, and Judd Brackett's connection with the Rathbone family . . .

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Have the Canucks ever had a NCAA prospect who wouldn't sign? The only problematic prospect in the NCAA we had that I can remember was Umberger and even he eventually caved before getting traded.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Have the Canucks ever had a NCAA prospect who wouldn't sign? The only problematic prospect in the NCAA we had that I can remember was Umberger and even he eventually caved before getting traded.

Small correction. Umberger never "caved." His rights were traded to new York but he didn't sign with them either. He became ufa and signed with Philly.

But yes, fears over NCAA prospects are dumb and unfounded. There is a small chance we lose someone like Lockwood. No chance we lose Hughes unless Benning really f***s something up.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Small correction. Umberger never "caved." His rights were traded to new York but he didn't sign with them either. He became ufa and signed with Philly.

But yes, fears over NCAA prospects are dumb and unfounded. There is a small chance we lose someone like Lockwood. No chance we lose Hughes unless Benning really ****s something up.

I think people under estimate the value of the almighty dollar when it comes to NCAA draftees.

Why stay any extra years in school when there a massive signing bonus and a professional contract waitinf for you.

1 knee on knee hit, 1 check to the boards and pooof all that goes away.

Signing early also accelerates the age in which you can hit free agency.

Do you wanna make money from age
20-32 or 23 -32 as just an example.
Were talking about millions of dollars in those 2to 3 yrs difference.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think people under estimate the value of the almighty dollar when it comes to NCAA draftees.

Why stay any extra years in school when there a massive signing bonus and a professional contract waitinf for you.

1 knee on knee hit, 1 check to the boards and pooof all that goes away.

Signing early also accelerates the age in which you can hit free agency.

Do you wanna make money from age
20-32 or 23 -32 as just an example.
Were talking about millions of dollars in those 2to 3 yrs difference.
Plus the money that you're leaving on the table is the higher dollars at the end of your contract.

Everyone has to do an ELC. Even this college graduation option requires you to do a 2 year ELC.

Leave NCAA and do ELC at ages 20-22, burning an ELC year by playing a few games at the end of your sophomore year, then you have say 12 years to make bigger money.
Leave NCAA as a free agent at 22, and do an ELC to age 24. Leaves you 10 years to make bigger money if your career ends at 34 in both scenarios. If you become a very good player, that's legitimately going to be over $10 million dollars.

Reactions: DownGoesMcDavid

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014

But yes, fears over NCAA prospects are dumb and unfounded. There is a small chance we lose someone like Lockwood. No chance we lose Hughes unless Benning really ****s something up.
Id say no chance on Lockwood. He grew up in the States but was a Canucks fan! He was SUPER happy to be picked by Vancity.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The weirdest thing in the world is how all fans seem so paranoid of college UFAs becoming UFAs in 4 years but aren't worried at all about the fact that any late-birthday CHL player (ie Kole Lind) can be a UFA in 2 years.

Reactions: Canucks1096

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I believe the rules might have changed since the Umberger case. Now, the drafting team has the option of signing an NCAA at the end of the NHL season, effectively allowing them to blow as year off their ELC. It means a bigger payday much faster. But there are still graduating players from the NCAA who decide to go the UFA route, like Jimmy Vesey, Will Butcher and Alex Kerfoot, so hopefully Rathbone won't make that decision.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Kerfoot and Vesey have something in common with Rathbone. Getting that Harvard degree is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Im sure he can keep pursuing hockey by the time he graduates. But that thing will set you up for life unless if hes going to school for something like History lol.

Reactions: Canucks1096

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The weirdest thing in the world is how all fans seem so paranoid of college UFAs becoming UFAs in 4 years but aren't worried at all about the fact that any late-birthday CHL player (ie Kole Lind) can be a UFA in 2 years.

You sure find a lot of things weird. Who was the last Canadian born and raised kid drafted out of the CHL who refused to sign an ELC with the Canadian team that drafted him not to mention a kid who became a UFA after 2 years post-draft?

Seems pretty reasonable to me that the average fan here would be more worried about a kid from Massachusetts who stayed behind a year to help take care of his little brother and attending Harvard University not signing than a Saskatchewan kid who was playing in Kelowna not signing.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You sure find a lot of things weird. Who was the last Canadian born and raised kid drafted out of the CHL who refused to sign an ELC with the Canadian team that drafted him not to mention a kid who became a UFA after 2 years post-draft?

Seems pretty reasonable to me that the average fan here would be more worried about a kid from Massachusetts who stayed behind a year to help take care of his little brother and attending Harvard University not signing than a Saskatchewan kid who was playing in Kelowna not signing.
Of all of the guys who went ufa via college only wheeler has been great. If they wish to give up years in the nhl that’s their choice.

Vesey could have left after his junior year and signed a 2 year elc with Nashville in 2015. He was 22 at the time since he was drafted at age 19, so he gets a 2 year elc.

Vesey is in his 3rd year in the nhl and he’s been a decent player for a 3rd round pick.
If this is what his career will look like and say he retired at the same age if he left college early vs going ufa, he missed out on 2 years post elc salary.

Kid like Hayes needed that senior year to break out offensively. He passed on a team and city like Chicago to go to NYR. If Chicago can lose guys pretty much any team can to this option.

Vesey would have been on contract 2 during his elc year with the rangers. What is the salary going to be when it is all said and done? A few million? So, if a player is willing to give that up, that’s his choice. Move on.

Kerfoot and Butcher moved on and it amazingly turned out that they signed with the other players team who drafted them. In essence a trade for the 2 teams.

Schultz picked his spot and needed a trade to Pitt and taking a massive pay cut for a year to get his career back on track. If he doesn’t get moved to Pitt and remained in Edm, where is he at now? Depends on whether he chased money that off season or went to a solid team to get his game in order. What could he have been had he gone through the ducks system like Fowler, Montour, Lindholm, Vats, Manson, Theodore did?

Mike Reilly passed on CBS and went to Minnesota. He’s still not a regular for them.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

Not sure why you're making this a Canada/US thing. Seems like an irrelevant distinction.

Reid Duke was drafted by the wild out of the CHL, didn't sign with them and instead became a UFA and signed with Vegas. It happens. As MS said, for some reason fans only "worry" when it's ncaa but there's nothing unique about the NCAA.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Of all of the guys who went ufa via college only wheeler has been great. If they wish to give up years in the nhl that’s their choice.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. If anything you proved my point. It's quite reasonable to be more concerned about prospects drafted out of the NCAA / going to the NCAA than a player like Kole Lind drafted out of the CHL. Don't get me wrong. I am not concerned at all about Rathbone or any of our "NCAA draft picks" spending 4 years in college and becoming a UFA because there's been no history of that. But it's one of those catch 22 situations. The NCAA is a great developmental league for longer term projects. With CHL players you have 2 years to decide on what to do with them. With NCAA players you can sign them after their 3rd year or even after their 4th year in college.

Not sure why you're making this a Canada/US thing. Seems like an irrelevant distinction.

Reid Duke was drafted by the wild out of the CHL, didn't sign with them and instead became a UFA and signed with Vegas. It happens. As MS said, for some reason fans only "worry" when it's ncaa but there's nothing unique about the NCAA.

Umm... you might want to check your facts. You are wrong. The Wild opted not to sign Reid Duke and he re-entered the draft and wasn't selected.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. If anything you proved my point. It's quite reasonable to be more concerned about prospects drafted out of the NCAA / going to the NCAA than a player like Kole Lind drafted out of the CHL. Don't get me wrong. I am not concerned at all about Rathbone or any of our "NCAA draft picks" spending 4 years in college and becoming a UFA because there's been no history of that. But it's one of those catch 22 situations. The NCAA is a great developmental league for longer term projects. With CHL players you have 2 years to decide on what to do with them. With NCAA players you can sign them after their 3rd year or even after their 4th year in college.

Umm... you might want to check your facts. You are wrong. The Wild opted not to sign Reid Duke and he re-entered the draft and wasn't selected.

What does it matter? It's irrelevant. The point is, with every draft pick you have a window to get them signed. If they don't sign, you lose their rights. It doesn't matter from where they are drafted.

Whether it was the team that "opted" not to sign them or the player who didn't want to sign, this is nothing but conjecture on your part.

farshi

Feb 28, 2012
the reason people aren't paranoid about CHL players chosing to not sign is because as a CHL player you can sign and still play in the CHL, so you'd lose out on the signing bonus as an 18 year old kid. Whereas college players cannot sign anyway until they're ready to leave the NCAA so they're not losing out on anything if they aren't nhl ready yet anyway.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Personally I really only worry about flight risk with players at Ivy League universities, particularly Harvard because it is the one that has a lot of high quality hockey prospects passing through it's program. I think players at Ivy league universities are more likely to stay the full four years and graduate because of the high value of the degree, and once this is accomplished there is a short window to free agency. Seems to me teams do get nervous about this, the most recent example would be the Flames trading the rights to Harvard standout Adam Fox, presumably because they either don't think they can sign him or maybe because Fox did them a solid and tipped them off so they wouldn't end up walking away empty handed.

Regardless I do feel that in the case of Ivy League, extra homework needs to be done when considering if or when to select these players. As far as more traditional hockey schools are concerned though, no misgivings whatsoever there.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
An incomplete prospect but he really can fire the puck.

Got another one where he made a nice move before slapping one home.

I'd love to throw him in the AHL next season but that's not particularly realistic for an Ivy Leaguer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->